Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
That's really sketch regarding payroll. They should have had the bank cut counter checks for everyone. At least they told you a day ahead of time - my friends company was doing fine financially but everyone's checks were (I forget exactly) 40-50% of what they should have been and all the directors were at a retreat or something. It was resolved, the company is still doing fine, it was a processing glitch basically (their payroll person, not the 3rd party processor...)

Can you get us your student loan rates when you are able to access their site?

There is some great info in this thread already. I think you really need to try to reduce the interest rates on your vehicle loans, and/or get rid of the vehicles and buy cheaper vehicles.

Rent problem: When does the sister move? What *I* would do is save up money for a deposit/first/last (whatever is common in your area), and list your townhouse on craigslist for a lease takeover. Its pretty straight forward usually, and you pass the lease off to the new person with the landlords assistance. It will save you a ton of money. Get an apartment within your price range so you can save more and get debt free and downpayment ready over the next 25 months.

Do work!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
You know what CD's are, right? A few short years ago we burned mix CD's and kept a binder in the car. Cheap++. Wife is the one w a smart phone, why can't she load music she likes onto her phone? Too much effort? Really?

Get you buffer built up... Quickly. You are overpaying for auto insurance by hundreds of dollars a year if you pay monthly.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
You should consider posting Tuyop styled YNAB screen shots and Excel debt reduction graphs every month.

Good on you for coming in "under budget". What are you doing with the surplus?

Don't most company's forecast a bit longer than 6 months?! That's insanely short, or seems like it to me at least.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Old Fart posted:

I mean as a loan to help him get out of debt. He's selling the car, he just needs to make up the balance since he's underwater. She has already shown interest in giving him a huge incentive. Why not make her a part of the process? It also has the benefit that if he pays her back regularly (and sooner than their agreed plan), she might be more inclined to give him the bonus even if he doesn't reach the goal, or maybe extend the deadline. Get her more involved and emotionally invested.
I would also suggest a loan agreement between them. It can definitely help, but it would absolutely screw his relationship up with his grandma if he didn't pay.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
I've never gotten stuck in the snow in an 80's RWD BMW with studs. And man is it fun. I'd suggest a 90's or early 00's Subi with studless tires and chains for oh poo poo moments. And then a late 90's / early 00's Honda or Toyota for your second daily. That would drop a LOT of debt off your plate, and probably (for sure) less insurance cost.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
So sell the car. Then buy an affordable car. If you guys can manage on one vehicle for 2 months with only minor inconvenience, you can save up and pay cash for another car. Then fix and sell the truck and get another car. Or an old truck plus another car. Operational costs will mitigate the asset expense, and you can maintain storage insurance on the truck until you get a big snow storm or go camping. It takes <5min to switch coverages with any big carrier these days. I have 2 cars but my second hasn't been driven in 3 months as my gf and I can share the one we daily and we save $40 a month in insurance plus consumables.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
So when you got the new good job, you didn't think maybe you should pay outstanding small debts like the speeding ticket? I'm glad you've decided you should now, but, drat.

E: and ticket cost lawls. $400 for a 11-20 over? That's nutty. My last 11-20 over was $140ish...

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
Pyrex storage containers ftw!

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Zeta Taskforce posted:

They can't legally drive it until it's registered in their name.
Really? Is this normal? My state gives you 30 days. So do both states north and south of me. Though that's only 3/50.

Knyteguy posted:

Alright I'll keep that in mind. I'm worried that if it's priced too high the interest will negate any savings made. The blue book on the car in excellent condition is $11,500 and like $11,300 for good I think. Maybe if I price it at $11,500 OBO and take the offer at >= $11,000?

Also we filed our taxes and the return was like $400.00. Ouch. Luckily that savings goal was conservative enough to still be attainable, and we'll still be on track to sell the car. It'll be the end of February instead of the middle before we can get things rolling now though.
Zeta has good :words: on selling price. I would suggest pricing it competitively against other ad's for similar cars in your area, and make sure its clean-clean-clean. Take good pictures, post a VERY minimal ad with good pictures, and see what happens. Short ad's get far more results than long ad's.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Inept posted:

As for the lease, that sounds really high compared to the monthly rent. I thought the usual for breaking a lease was forfeiting the deposit. You might want to double-check that.
Most contracts I've seen say 1.5-2x monthly rent, so that's pretty close to his figure (2x rent). OP did the right thing by riding out the lease.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

wintermuteCF posted:

OK, priority 1 is to build a buffer in the form of a savings account or sub-account to your checking that holds rainy day funds. Build this before you pay down your car at an accelerated rate. You say you have a $4000 surplus per month - or will, once you move to the cheaper place - so you should be able to build this pretty fast.

Ideal value for this fund would be 6 months expected expenses. So if you and your wife both lost your jobs, you'd be able to make rent, car note, put food on the table, etc. I don't know what your current budget looks like (and if you want advice, feel free to post it), but you will probably want 5-10k here.

THEN pay off your car at an accelerated rate.

(You don't want to sink a lot of money into the car, then lose your job and not be able to make rent, etc.)
Agreed all around. The whole point of a 'buffer' isn't to allow erroneous spending, but to cover emergencies. I actually run both a buffer and efund category, as I find it too easy to say 'it's okay, that's what my buffer is for'. So I have 1 months expenses in my efund, and a small small amount in my buffer. Frequently the buffer gets pillaged for overruns, but the efund never gets touched.

I would consider putting away 3mo of base expenses (no frivolous poo poo) and then attack the loan with gusto, and then build the efund to 6mo *including* frivolous poo poo. Full living expenses.

What's the downpayment match lookin like now? That is you, right?

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
You're like SloMo. You like posting snipit's of data and it's hugely annoying.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
I wasn't saying you spend AS bad as SloMo, just that you posted a snippet of the picture like SloMo does.

I'd sell the AR&9mm and keep the 22. Cheaper to shoot and roughly as much fun, IME. Unless you carry, then you should keep the 9 and budget more to monthly practice. Scares the hell out of me that one of my good buddies carries and doesn't ever shoot his carry piece...

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
Want to post up the details of the HSA vs non-HSA plans? I would get $1500 into my HSA account if I was married, $470 sounds über low.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Knyteguy posted:

Sure we could actually really use some help with this insurance thing. We're already locked into the HSA but there were two HSA plans and one HRA plan. We chose the mid tier plan which is I think $1,500 deductible and I can't remember max out pocket. I wanted to ask more on here but we were down to the wire before we had enough information to decide to drop our current insurance.

We currently have my medical plan which is $612.00 a month + dental & vision which another $108.00 a month. $2,000 deductible $4,500 max out of pocket and I think 20% coinsurance? They pay 80% up to the max out of pocket or whatever. I can cancel this July 1 at the soonest, but the insurance was frontloaded by my employer so I'll have to pay up until Aug 1. My wife's insurance will start coming out right after this next paycheck Friday I think.

We were wondering if it would be worth it to be dual insured because our current insurance might cover the deductible on the new insurance (which is actually active right now too)? I'm estimating the baby cost to be about $9,500.00. Maybe we should plan for a vacation to Canada for a month around the due date. We'll have a baby with dual citizenship and the benefits of socialized medicine I think? :black101: (I'm joking of course).
Well your plan is the suck! I hope your wife's is better. Can you post up the plan details for it? There are a LOT of factors, and we aren't hearing the basics from what you posted. I'm reasonably decent at reading and making insurance plans understandable, I had a serious need as a unemployed person with a herniated disc who made too much for govt assistance a few years back. I'm well versed in reading and comparing plans, and would be happy to run the maths for you. Maybe post a screenshot of the PDF they gave you, with the coverage amount table? I can post an example in a few min.

My company allows near-instant (next pay period vs next enrollment window) dropping of insurance if other insurance is available. Yours *may* have something like that, that they aren't telling you. Weird that you have to pay for an additional month, vs now and have it take effect next period. Maybe its a small business thing - tho it was not at the auto shop I worked at, where we had a whole 5 insured.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
AR is only $600? Is it a partial? I don't know much about them, but are they usually mid-teens?

What type of 9mm?

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Knyteguy posted:

Nah this one isn't that valuable unfortunately. http://www.gunbroker.com/Olympic-Arms/Browse.aspx?Keywords=Olympic+Arms

The 9mm is a Ruger I think P95, but it may be a P89. Custom grips. Here's a picture I took when I got it.

Metal or plastic? Metal is a 89, plastic is a 95. Fwiw.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Knyteguy posted:

Ah, P89 then; it's metal.
Kk. I thought that based on google pics but wasn't sure.

Post up copies of your wife's health insurance docs! I want to kill some work time calculating this for you.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
So new plan is about $400/mo? I'm on my phone and failing to find that number. I'll run a comp when I get home in a few min.

Pretty sure your existing plan blows rear end. Similar deductibles, lower OPM and better coinsurance for more money... Man, I'm glad my employer has kickass instance (and they pay ~80% of mine and ~50% of dependents.)

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Knyteguy posted:

New plan yea is about that.

Here's my current plan for reference:

Yea for how much we pay for this plan I'm pretty disappointed. It includes some paltry medical/dental but so does the new plan which is far more affordable.

Thanks again by the way.

Unless I'm missing something, your current plan may be illegal? New OPM is 12.7k. Maybe for small biz it didn't take effect till 2015.

I am going to assume that your current plan means OPM (I said OOP in my image, do not feel like changing) of 13.5k - if they mean coinsurance and OPM is 13.5+6k, holy poo poo.

Yellow is where you hit your annual deductible. Green is where your HSA hits OPM. Total column takes into account the cost of the premium ($4.8k vs $7.3k) and also takes into account your employer HSA contribution of 1k for the HSA plan.

I think you said you're expecting about $9k in baby costs? If so, you're looking at about $8.6k including premium and accounting for HSA with the new plan, vs about $13.9k on the old plan.

I would absolutely start contributing pre-tax dollars to your wife's HSA, too. You already know you're going to have huge medical bills shortly. You'll avoid whatever your income tax rate winds up at. My chart doesn't take into account tax avoidance savings, but it can be pretty substantial.

When is your due date? If its next year, I would set aside just a bit over the required amount for this year's medical costs in to the HSA pre-tax, and then the rest into post-tax savings. Then next year, crank up the HSA contributions to fully pay for the baby and then some. Then you'll have a cash fund to spend money out of for living expenses, and less income due to higher payroll deductions. This *should* net you the biggest tax avoidance, providing the baby is being born next year. Ideally, it would fall out before NYE, so you can incur the bulk of the costs in 2014 and turn your HSA contrib down in 2015.

Kids are so loving expensive. Do never have!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SiGmA_X fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jul 1, 2014

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Knyteguy posted:

Wow I realized it was kinda crappy, but I didn't realize just how crappy it really was!

Due date is February. So it sounds like it may be best if we just take the employer contributed money (IIRC ~$700.00/yr) and maybe contribute my wife's whole paycheck come January next year until the birth? Also I'll get rid of the current plan obviously.

Anyone ever get tired of juggling financials? I mean I know that's why I'm posting in this thread (to get out of the cycle), but it can't come soon enough. June has just been rough as we had to put a down payment of $2,000.00 towards the car and we overspent on restaurants. There's been some wiggle room but we're still uncomfortably close to $0.00; we're totally fine but if something was to happen we'd be borrowing money almost certainly. Next month is going to be equally hard with moving costs I think. New goal: don't ever overextend financially again unless it's absolutely necessary (emergencies). We have a grocery plan for August but I'll post that later when I post June's YNAB. Oh and also I sold the gun for $500 but I agreed to pay a $50.00 commission. Pretty much all of it is going towards debt repayment. Same with anything else we sell.

Anyway thanks for the help SiGmA. JanusOwl (wife) says thank you also.
Have your wife ask HR if she can turn on/off HSA contributions like that. If not, NBD - you can contribute after tax and get the money back at the end of the year. DEF do that vs pay out of pocket, that will save you quite a bit come tax time. But, if possible, crank up HSA payroll contributions for a few months and then turn them down again. You may consider putting an extra $25-50/ck into it from now till then, it'll ease the pain a bit.

The one thing people bitch about with the HSA plan (tho not compared to your non-HSA!! Jesus) is that you have to pay more up front. Like my work, HSA is $1500, non-HSA is $300 deductible. But the premiums, you pay ~$1300 vs $352. And with HSA, the company gives you $750 (single person, double for spouse or family). So that means I start the year at -$397 a year in medical costs/premium. $1300+$300 is $1600, which means I need to have $1500+$500 in expenses to break even. Everyone's situation is different, but with my employer, if you get sick once or twice a year, or have a $5k bill, you're ahead doing the HSA. When you get into the ~8k range, its more of a wash. I could post solid numbers if I was at work, I made a nice little chart for two of my coworkers.

So for me, I have money in my HSA plus an efund, so I don't think twice about the HSA. I haven't had more than $800 in medical bills in 2yrs, and before that I have like $16-50k in bills but the were all up front or eventually covered by my auto insurance. Gotta weigh the costs/benefits, but it cracks me up when my coworker won't go in for an xray because she has to pay out of pocket, vs pay out of pocket for premiums all year that total more...

I'm in the same boat, on the tight finance side of things. I hate juggling it and being tight on money. I have a couple grand in the bank for efund and a few more for downpayment/ring, and am saving more for a ring (finalllly found out she really, truly, only wants a 1-2k ring! Not what I was expecting, with her mom's massive rock) and a downpayment, and my cars keep needing repair.. At least I do my own work! My gf is finally fed up with it and is fully on board to sticking to the budget vs blowing it on .. FOOD!!! She doesn't spend excessively, outside of lunches and the occasional dinner where she buys her girlfriends rounds and meals!!! We sat down last weekend and discussed what it is going to take to stick on track, and I think she's finally on board!

Good plan on the gun -> debt repayment. And food budget. Share that stuff, I need help w/ food... My gf (and I) come from families that like good food, and it often means eating out. Which I don't do myself, cuz I want bigger things than a nice meal, that I could cook at home for almost the same effect...

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
5.5 years - it's been a long time coming lol! But thanks!

Nice re sales! Great price on the 9mm from the quick google search I did.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Bugamol posted:

He's saying spending $750-$1,000 on a couch where he can get a 45% discount (so really spending $410-$550 on a couch).
Iirc (been a while since I did retail math) it's 45% of 1000 is $400.

20% off 1000 is $200
25% off 800 is $200
= $600

Right? Maybe Penneys stacks it differently.

SiGmA_X fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jul 3, 2014

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
You need baby savings for the 6-8k in out of pocket expenses for the birth. Holy crap kids are expensive.

Do cloth diapers man. Cheaper and more environmentally friendly. My sis and I were both raised w cloth diapers and she was home birthed with a midwife. Pretty much FTMFW IMO. And my folks are/have been/were drat comfortable. I would have been at a birthing home but I didn't want to come out so the home wouldn't have me.

How are Penney's leather couches? Real leather. I have never looked but when we move, we need a new couch... The hand-me-down loveseat/full hideabed is great for our siblings to stay with us during their vacations, but it's both tiny and hideous.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
Whatcha think about some WFH for your wife? I don't have suggestions but that would be great.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Brennanite posted:

Pretty sure my parents had that exact same couch. I haven't seen it mentioned yet, but you really should sort out if and when your wife is going back to work so you can start looking for a good daycare. Infant care is particularly expensive and may eat up a good chuck (or even most) of her paycheck. Depending on how much she makes, what kind of a job it is and whether you need her insurance, it may not make sense for her to go back for the first year.
His insurance is horrid. It may he better for next year though. Or maybe a Marketplace plan?

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
I picked up a Core 2 Duo for $40 with 3gb of DDR2 and picked up a $10 (after rebate) video card with HDMI and have a pretty decent HTPC. Not a bad option. Or use your laptop w/ HDMI, if you have one?

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

bergeoisie posted:

Also, I don't use YNAB so I'm not sure about this, but are you using it correctly? Are you really just supposed to enter in the amount you spent in the budgeted column? Because that makes no sense to me as it's not budgeting, it's just entering the amount you spent at the end of the month. It's not imposing an restrictions on you, so why bother? It would be a lot more useful if you had $100 in the budgeted column for restaurants and then you don't get to spend more than that. Right?
You should set a budgeted dollar amount at the date you get paid (or first of the month, once you hit Rule 4 and are a month ahead - I did it like this from the start but I counted my income before I received it, as it is -very- fixed; Now I am Rule 4 (a month ahead) and its super easy)) and then adjust down at the end of the month, and let the balance rollover or increase savings categories. I book the extra into my emergency fund or buffer every month.

Knyteguy posted:

With that said, point taken. We are really interested in early retirement, so one thing I've tried that has has saved me from a couple purchases has been asking myself if the purchase was worth delaying retirement. I definitely am continuing to try to work on the impulsive behavior though, and it's definitely been better this month so far. Not perfect, but better.
Your car man, your car...

Knyteguy posted:

I was planning to get an OTA antenna and digi converter box for football (which is what I'll still likely do next month to catch SF bay area games) but I didn't think about out of market games not playing here. I'm not trying to justify getting cable I just wasn't thinking ahead. I've resigned to deal with the reality that watching games is going to be a pain in the rear end until next season, as annoyed as I am by it. I'll be cancelling cable TV and just keeping the internet; same as now.
Do it. Also, I just dropped our internet bill over $30mo (promo came off for my gf's account) by canceling my gf's account and opening another in my name. Same day as it shut off. And they waived the 'self service setup fee' cuz I chatted after I set it up yesterday. You may consider doing that, you have 2 SSNs! Went from $64.95 to $34.95. Prior promo was $39.99, so I'm still saving money over that even.

Knyteguy posted:

Well I think we're using YNAB correctly. http://www.youneedabudget.com/method/rule-three says to roll with the punches. We can do something like SloMo does and post expected and actual, and we can do that with YNAB, but I think that's a little more advanced and something we're supposed to do once we have a buffer (rule four of YNAB). That way we can leave categories red into next month and start with a deficit. If we did expected actual now I think we could really screw ourselves over since we don't have money to cover negative amounts.
What I do is set my budget at the start of the month, and export the file to Excel. Then I clear it to 0 rollover (for most categories, some like Pet care and Vehicle maintenance I roll forward, along with all the bill categories) and export to Excel, and then make a comparison of the two.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Knyteguy posted:

Yes we're back to square one. The slope back up has been made since I started posting in this thread again though.

OK I'll give your suggestion a go. We have started walking like you put it but I don't think I'm conveying it. I was just telling my wife I wish we could save more this month to prove that (we actively talk about the thread daily).
  • We saved $913.00 this month.
  • I budgeted $500.00 for our move. I'm hiring two guys for $10.00/hr because it's on weekday. I may only hire one guy but we have a really heavy oak desk that may require three of us. We have $400.00 left after buying some good boxes and a kick rear end used hand truck. Most everyone I know is at work that could help (including my friend who is a mover) and my wife is pregnant so she can't help much. I got a great deal on a moving truck ($56 or something for a 24' box truck).
  • We bought a couch and two reclining chairs for $335.00 this month. Our futon was destroyed and it was a good deal at a thrift store.
  • We've spent $200.70 on our blow money categories. We have $7.99 coming back to us in bank fees so we're under our limit of $200.00, but I don't want to take it any further than now. To put this into perspective we spent $800.00 last month in this category!
  • $1,100 unfortunately has to be paid this month for next month's rent and moving deposit. We would have loved to save this to our emergency fund but what can ya do about rent? That means that we had to budget almost $3,000 towards rent this month. That's where the bulk of our money went.
  • Our internet bill will be more expensive this month because of an install fee. We're going to transfer service into my name like Sigma suggested to keep the bill low, but that comes with a $30.00 one time install fee. We're moving away from wifi which is $5.00/mo from the cable company and we're going to use our ethernet over electrical devices instead (cat-5). We already have the wifi over electrical devices.
  • Business is at $48.47 in expenses so far, but I've got about $200.00 coming in by the end of this month. The net will go into the emergency fund most likely. I never count on this money though so I don't include it in any forecasting.
  • We're paying 2 insurances right now - my wife's which includes a small HSA contribution and my own which apparently my boss fronted for 2 paychecks so I have to pay that back. That means we have probably $400.00 less than we would normally have until the situation rectifies itself in August.
  • I got rid of my gaming computer category. I need a new CPU/Motherboard/Case because it's slowing down and about 5 years old now, but I'll put it off as long as I can.
That's all of the exciting stuff. I had to spend some money for commission to a friend helping me sell a gun but I never saw the money anyway. I turned down a friend's offer to celebrate his birthday in Lake Tahoe even though I would've loved to go. I turned it down for budgetary reasons.
Im on my phone so I don't want to comment much. Your plan sounds good IF you stick to it. It sounds like you both want to. So do it!

Internet: is this a self install fee? Comcast charged me a $10 self install fee and I chatted with them and got it waived. Maybe you can too!

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

n8r posted:

You should sell the new car before you cover it in baby poo poo/piss. Nearly new cars sell for nearly new prices these days. You can afford to drive about a $2500 beater. Go pick up a well used minivan.
This is why they ditched BFC for however long that was, 6mo.. A personal loan for the underwater differences + a [max] ~5k car would have been my route to direct them. You can get a nice, and reliable, 5k car.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
Dude.. That suit.. omg.. What state are you from? Also, you need to learn to tie a knot...

Moving on, you should open a biz account for the biz. It is no more effort to open a biz bank account than a personal. The one thing I disagree with the rest of the posters on is your car insurance. $76 a month is dirty cheap for full coverage. You have 100/300/100 coverage at least, right?

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Knyteguy posted:

Well I was 22 when I took that picture - I'm turning 28 in a few weeks time.

To answer your question though I am from Nevada, but I took that picture in Phuket Thailand. I know the knot is terrible it's supposed to be a Windsor knot but I butchered it. I tried to pick one of the more embarrassing ones plus our poses matched well enough :v:.
Ok, fair enough. Least it was you being a dumb kid vs SloMo being a *baller*. I didn't even have a full suit @ 22.. Now, I like to suit up - except its too hot these days, I can't wait for fall to hit so I can suit up again! (derail, the wine...)

Knyteguy posted:

I almost posted yes to the insurance without looking... but no actually. My wife must have lowered our insurance when we switched vehicles.

But we did have mechanical breakdown insurance, roadside assistance (which Toyota gives us free AND we have AAA), and rental insurance (Toyota also covers if it's under warranty). My wife I'll tell ya.

Anyway I just now upped coverage it to 100/300/100 and got rid of the frivolous insurances, and our bill went down by $20 every 6 months.
I was in a slow speed accident and suffered a herniated disc - $60k was paid out by the other company in medical bills. High speed with my best friend (drat you CountOfNowhere!) back in 2004, I suffered a fractured vertebrae, and that was pushing near 100k... I'm glad you bumped it up! Make sure you PIP is pretty high, if you guys ever get hurt, it'll help a lot. I pay $11/mo for 50k of PIP - This was massively lower before my last accident settled, drat, didn't notice that change 2mo ago - but my rates still have been continually decreasing though, so its not a big deal. Good on you to bump it up!

I <3 AAA. I don't use it that often, but the peace of mind is fantastic, and I DO use 1-2 tows per year for either me or my close friends, so it easily pays off. Need a tow to the body shop to get some paint work done? AAA. Need a tow home from the body shop after a paint job? AAA. Easy! Do like.

I'm still saying your insurance rates aren't something to write home about. As long as that ALSO includes collision and comprehensive, I don't see an issue. I *DO* see an issue with your frigging new Corolla, but that is water under the bridge... I'd have gone for a sub-10k reliable car and personal loan... But that is not something you can change immediately, from the sounds of your credit situation. Speaking of which, and I imagine this has been hashed out before and I've simply forgotten, have you made sure all old debts of both yours and your wives are paid off? And you always pay your car notes (are they normal notes? Are they on your credit report?) on time or early? I hope so.

Knyteguy posted:

Thanks for the well wishes but I respectfully disagree with the rest. Look at the optional expenses category from March to now, we've cut it by 85%.

I'm plenty disciplined when I need to be or when I want to be.
Keep it up for the next quarter and BFC won't get on you about it. You can do it, man.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Knyteguy posted:

Hey Sigma. drat yea I would hate to be responsible for a large car injury or something both for for my conscience and financially. My cousin was in a terrible car accident that ended up breaking his back, throwing his pregnant fiance out the window (who lost the child) and nearly killed everyone in the car. It was off the road in a frigid snow storm. I know he got a ton of money... that's a bad with money story for the ages because he's broke again. Crazy how much the medical bills are. A fractured vertebrae that's nuts lucky you're not paralyzed.
It was a compression fracture, I didn't leave my seat or anything crazy. We hit the tree at an estimated 45mph, and were traveling at just over 60mph. My buddy escaped with a broken wrist from the steering wheel. I have this obsession with seatbelt wearing - and it has saved my life without a question, perhaps a few times, this being a definite time. Sounds worse than it is, but its a constant source of 'ache' (a lot more, but you kind of get use to it?) without a doubt, and with the herniation from an accident in 2010 means constant mild back pain. You get use to it, I guess. I was on oxy for a while but I didn't like what that was doing to me and my life, so I stopped cold turkey and just *deal with it*. Exercise is a godsend. However, I was bad with money from the settlement back then.. My car was crazy fast for a few years, and then it broke right before I got out of my old line of work (auto tech) because of the herniation.. Now its stock and boring :( Shootin for 500wtq again by 2025 now ;) My car will be 32yrs old by then lol..

Knyteguy posted:

I didn't look at our PIP coverage but I'll do that now. The insurance does include comprehensive/collision with $500.00 deductibles all around. We both have a lot of debts from our past but the total dollar value isn't that much besides some medical bills. A $2,000.00 credit card debt finally fell off and that was my biggest one. The rest is probably $1500.00 total or so for me, and maybe $2000.00 for her.

Car notes are traditional and yes we're solid on them. We've never been late (we've been early a couple times). I just keep autopay on and have them pull out automatically the day the bill is due.

I'm determined to make good financial decisions a habit that will be hard to break.
Gotcha. I was curious due to the retarded high interest on the car, and the fact that you got the notes from the lots vs from your CU.

n8r posted:

Are you sure you have collision? That screenshot you posted doesn't indicate you have it. That'd be very bad in an at fault accident.
I also wondered, I hoped it was on a different screen. You have to have collision legally (or to maintain loan covenants, if not legally) for a car with a loan on it in my state.

Aristotle Animes posted:

I think you are using the household good as a big catch all. A couch probably belongs there, a mop certainly, maybe detergent (I lump that with groceries for ease, no big thing) but your wife's shower supplies are a grooming cost, no? Household goods is the one that sticks out the most and if your wife heads for Aveda or L'Occitane you probably need to reel her in a bit. Hone that category, man. Then you'll better understand where the money is going.

Also, HDMI cables a household good? I dunno. I might consider that entertainment, no? If you spent 40-60 bux on them and called it entertainment it might make you examine those types of purchase a little more. Everyone categorizes differently but it's a bit psychological when you are trying to be frugal. You don't have to do it my way, but can you see where I'm going here? Same with putting bath products in grooming... how much are we spending on our hair, nails and skin?
This is how we do it. Personal care for grooming, makeup and all related products. Household includes all detergent etc - easier to track. I split it out from Costco trips as I like to see how often we buy it...

Knyte, this is what I use for categories, outside of bills and savings.
code:
Monthly Consumables:Bank Charges & Interest [i](I track all the rewards points in here)[/i]
Monthly Consumables:Charity
Monthly Consumables:Groceries
Monthly Consumables:Groceries:Alcohol
Monthly Consumables:Household (all other)
Monthly Consumables:Household:Kitchen
Monthly Consumables:Household:Toiletries
Monthly Consumables:Laundry
Monthly Consumables:Medical
Monthly Consumables:Personal Care
Monthly Consumables:Pet Care
Monthly Consumables:Therapy
Monthly Consumables:Transportation

Vehicles:BMW 325iS
Vehicles:BMW 528iT
Vehicles:Fuel

Quality of Life:Books
Quality of Life:Dates
Quality of Life:Electronics
Quality of Life:Gifts
Quality of Life:Travel
Quality of Life:Sex, Drugs, Rock & Roll

Me:Blow
Me:Clothing - Me
Me:Dining - Me
Me:Education
Me:Parents [i](used for when I buy stuff for my folks and they reimburse me, or visa versa)[/i]
Me:Tools

GF:Blow
GF:Clothing - GF
GF:Dining - GF

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
Knyte, I think it's time to buckle down on the expenditures for a few months, bump savings up, and then once you know you can handle it, use Excel to do some projections. Otherwise everyone is going to jump down your throat being you haven't stuck with your goals for very long any one time in the past. That's my take on it, at least. I'm also rooting for you to win.

Knyteguy posted:

Yes but it is entirely unorthodox. At the moment it is keep billing my current client until they stop paying. I'll probably retire almost everything to do with it and start over later when that finally happens. There isn't a lot of goodwill associated with the name beyond my local clients anymore, since I was unable to continue focusing on it.
I think he means a business plan. A written document you can hand to someone and they would understand what you're doing and how you're operating your company. We have one for my 'shop', and it's 2 of us doing a few hundred in biz per year.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Knyteguy posted:

So I'm a little bored at work waiting for my ride, so I decided to flesh out the budget for August using recent YNAB data. Plus there has been a little too much arguing in the thread and I'd appreciate getting back to business. I'll take responsibility for that.

code:

Misc Expenses:      $30.00
Business:           $38.00
Optional Expenses:  $55.00 (Entertainment, clothes, restaurants, alcohol)
Monthly Bills:      $165.69 - Rent & Internet paid in July
Debt:               $609.04
Mandatory Expenses: $760
{
    Groceries:       $350.00
    Fuel:            $150.00
    Medical:         $60.00
    Pets:            $200.00 - Dog is getting spayed so it will be more than this month
    Household Goods: $20.00 - May reallocate to grooming
}

Total Expenses: $1674.00
--------------------------------
Net Income: $6150 (conservative)
    Me:  $4200
    Her: $1800 - paid 3 times August
    Biz: $150 - July's invoice will be paid in August

Savings Goal: $3,800.00
Leftover: $646.00

Mandatory is low since we'll be front loading the payments for internet and rent this month. This may be a little higher if we keep our renter's insurance.

Note: See this bottom of this post for categorization explanations:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3586966&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=13#post432393777

I'm giving us a little padding for the savings goal (all that leftover) in case I've missed something. I used this month's expenses to come up with the numbers. I also lowballed our incomes just in case (maybe $100-$200).

What do you guys think? Unrealistic, balanced, or does it need some work?
In all honesty, too little in entertainment I'm guessing. If obtainable, FTMFW.

I think you can get a month ahead now, no? May be a good idea.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
Home Depot will surely take the hand truck back. I've returned all sorts of defective crap to them. Easy!

Shower curtain, $10-12 for a nice fabric one (WASH IT BIWEEKLY, COLD) or $5-8 for a plastic one (WASH IT MONTHLY, COLD). Bed Bath & Beyond. You'll get a moving coupon from them, too.

Micro - I can't stand not having one. Ovens cost a lot to heat a meal (eg I can see it on my daily power consumption!) and are slow. I'd pickup a CL micro. I've done this twice, for $25 each. My current one has been in use 1yr and near daily use.

Knyteguy posted:

Well maybe. It's got some scratches and scuffs but it is structurally sound. The only problem is I don't have the mounting hardware. It got lost in our previous move.
List that poo poo on CL. Check eBay for completed auction prices and price accordingly. Get a google voice # if you don't have one already, I don't like randos having my #...

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Knyteguy posted:

OK I'm going to try to take back the hand truck today.

I kind of dig the dual shower curtains - 1 clear plastic inside with magnets to stick to the tub and one cloth one outside for looks and privacy. Gonna get this today.

Nothing like cutting your effective square feet to 1/3 to realize you have/buy too much poo poo.

And also just to complain: the loving internet tops out at 8mbps, even though we pay for 60mbps. I'm going to call them but I guarantee they say they don't guarantee the speed.

Also agreed on the microwave thing. From a power perspective it makes sense. I'll check out CL.
Just tell the HD people you're disappointed w the poor quality being as it broke and it will be NBD. Seriously. HD doesn't care. They returned a pressure regulator my uncle bought 5-10yrs ago and I got upon his death... No questions asked, as they still carry them!

I was referring to cloth liners! We have a cloth pretty curtain on the outside, too. I was thinking from a über cheap perspective, you only neeeed a liner. I believe the not clear liners are cheaper and it doesn't matter what they are so much when you have a cloth one. Make sure it goes with your towels and floor-mat.. I'm sure your wife can help there haha.

Ive also never bought one from the dollar store. There are no dollar stores within 15min of me, and I haven't been in one for 6yrs or so. I should go tho, I remember they had super cheap cleaning supplies back in the day...

Oh boy that's some awesome Comcast BS! I'm lucky mine clocks in at maybe 48~52 *always* and we pay for 50.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
You're in IT so I'm assuming that's jacked into your modem, or router? Holy poo poo that's bad.

For funsies, go to speedtest.comcast.com [or is it .net] and see how bad it says it is? Mine is always faster with their site than speedtest, but speedtest is always near full rating. It was NOT when we first got service and I called and bitched. Fixed within a couple days.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Droo posted:

The AT&T Uverse equipment would not work with the powerline ethernet things. It didn't even matter if I put a router in between the powerline stuff and the Uverse modem.

Also, wifi speeds are full of poo poo and only get the advertised speed if your computer is having sex with the wifi router at the time. Once you are 20 feet away you probably won't get more than 10-20mbps. You should run a cable and then do a speedtest.
I pull 40-48mbps 25' away through 3 walls. AirPort Extreme (5th Gen) ftmfw. $60 on eBay. Do like.

This is tested via torrents. I get way less via SpeedTest over Wifi... Go figure?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

April posted:

Good luck! Also, if you put something in the slow cooker that's frozen, or you do the meat loaf thing, or any situation where there isn't liquid on the bottom of the slow cooker the second you turn it on, put a few tablespoons of water in the bottom - just enough to cover it & keep the temperature even, or the crock part will crack. I forgot to mention that before, and it's kind of important.
I was wondering why you said add a few tablespoons of water! Makes sense. I've never slow cooked something that didn't include some non-frozen liquid, but now I know!

I need to go through the 365 cookbook again and find some more things to make. We've recently made some delicious curry, and we've made lots of chili and various chicken&spices dishes. My gf just stopped eating meat last month tho, so that's been different. Once the curry was made, I chopped some oven baked chicken and simmered it together before serving/portioning. She also doesn't eat rice, so I made some rice on the stovetop and included that in the Pyrex portions.

• Locked thread