Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Knyteguy posted:

4) The baby. Babe: I feel like you need to continue to give this more thought. 1.5 months after the baby is born is not the best time to do this. We need to come up with a plan here. We should have had a plan in place before you became pregnant, but you're already half way there.

You're a real piece of work. You're pressuring your pregnant wife to do what you want (stay at home) and have been pretty clear that this is your preference since you dropped the bomb that you guys were going to have a baby. NOW, of course, it's ~*suuuuuuuper important*~ that your wife think carefully about this huge decision. NOW it's important that she pick up YOUR slack. Meanwhile you don't have to deal with swollen feet and a giant rear end and hormones loving up your disintegrating brain. Whoever said you are incredibly self-centered had you all figured out; this even shows up in the way you talk about your pets. Of course you HAVE to keep the dogs because you are "responsible" when the actual responsible thing to do would be to rehome at least one of them because two dogs, three cats, and two people--soon to be three!--in 800 square feet of crowded apartment is miserable for all involved. It was irresponsible to get the second dog in the first place. Let it go to a new home with people who could actually take it on walks and devote the time it needs to training. You know, like a responsible pet owner would.

Jesus. I just love this: "we should have had a plan in place." No loving poo poo. That's basically the motto of this thread. "We should have had a plan in place!" You didn't loving plan for a baby. FOR. A. BABY. loving unreal. How are you not panicking right now? I can't believe how gentle people are being with you, especially after SloMo got it hard, and he wasn't loving up anyone's life but his own. Get your loving act together, Knyteguy. You have no clue what you're in for in four and a half months, and if you keep sailing along swaddled in your own ignorance and poor impulse control you are completely hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Knyteguy posted:

Uh my wife wants to stay at home with the baby, and I've been trying to help her do that while keeping us out of this shithole apartment. You act like I'm the only one that makes decisions in the household. You're framing it like my wife is literally incapable of helping the household to make good decisions, or to even play a part in the decision making process. And she and I just said in this very thread we're open to rehoming the cats. ~*Chiiiiiill out*~.

I'm holding out hope that only you are this cripplingly stupid.

Rehome your hyper dog and your cats, my god, and don't decide anything until you know exactly what being at home with a newborn is like.

Strep Vote fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Sep 25, 2014

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Knyteguy posted:

I just admitted that we need to take steps to fix this. And no I thought the porch would be great for them. We just read the SPCA website on exercise and apparently we need to do more.

I already admitted this. Now you're just being a dick, as was Quantum Finger. Also we've saved $6,000 since May.

You guys are way too loving far up my rear end in our private life. This is the finance forum.

Yeah. You keep your dogs on the porch for four hours a day and think that's "great," and I'm the dick.

"Apparently we need to do more." Wow. Please remember to exercise your baby, take it out to poop at least once a day, and take care not to overwater it.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Aagar posted:

Pets: Look, if it was just a money thing I'd say keep them - as Slap pointed out the savings would just get washed away somewhere else. I really think, if they are having trouble now giving the proper level of care for five animals, it will be impossible with a baby. However, I suppose that can be assessed after the baby is born.

Engineer Lenk posted:

If it comes down to the pets or the kid, it's clear that the kid will win.

The issue is more that the pets seem to be acquisitions right now and the mild neglect they're showing now is likely to be exacerbated. Unfortunately the animals that adapt to this the easiest are also the ones they're willing to give away (though oddly not to the humane society where they run the best chance of getting a wanted home rather than being offloaded as pets of inconvenience).

It's entirely possible that suddenly upon being given the knowledge that dogs need exercise, KG and his wife will fulfill all their needs, step up and give daily exercise even with the added stress of a baby. But seriously, how obtuse do you have to be to think that 4 hours with a kennelmate in a run (which is effectively what the porch is) constitutes anything near an appropriate environment for a dog? And they're at least three dogs into dog ownership - I don't buy it at all. Lip service will be paid, and they will go back to mild neglect and then wonder why a dog has housebreaking regressions or chews inappropriately. I mean, sure it could be worse - but this reminds me of the guy with a thread in PI with two golden littermates he shoved in the backyard and neglected for multiple years (while building more detailed containment systems) before he finally turned them into rescue.

We all overestimate how much we're going to exercise our dogs or interact with our cats. I try to target 2-3 hours a day of active work with my healthy dogs and probably hit 1 hour minimum everyday.

If you want a pet you just coexist with, get a fish.

Okay, I'm going to try not to be a dick here, so just read these again, OP. I'm not telling you to give up your pets to save you money, I'm telling you to give up your pets because you are a bad pet owner, with a newborn on the way to boot. Even the most earnest of pet owners is going to neglect their animals for a little while after a baby is born, and you suck at owning pets. This isn't me being a dick, it's a fact, and if I'm being poo poo to you at all it's because I'm actually literally concerned about your kid and how you are going to provide for him/how prepared you are for him. People tell you not to "plan" because you get carried away with how great things will be in the nebulous future, so I have no idea how to teach you to be realistic. I suppose it's what everyone's said before: PLAN FOR THE WORST, HOPE FOR THE BEST.

My husband and I make five times what you make, and we still agonize over purchases. We're moving to a bigger house across the country right now, and I'm planning to fill it up with cheap antiques I find on CL. That's how you get rich, not by pouring time and money into a home business that may never take off, but by frugality. You can make a million dollars a year and still be poor if you don't have a healthy fear of what could happen in the future, and shore yourself against it.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
Yes. Expand into .NET and python. And maybe Java.

All right, I'm going to try to be helpful. I want you guys to sit down and write out, SEPARATELY, your goals. Don't talk to each other about them. Just write them out. Here's what you and Janus Owl need to figure out for yourselves:

Where do I want to be in 6 months? (How do I want to be living in six months?)
Where do I want to be in 1 year? (What kind of job do I want to have? What do I want my living situation to be? How do I see myself spending my evenings in a year's time?)
...In 5 years?
...In 10 years?
...After retirement?
(Where do I want to live? What do I want to do in my spare time? Do I want to travel? Do I want to have a dream house?)
What do I want to provide to our child/children? (the bare necessities? money for hobbies/sports/activities? money to get started in life, be it in college or straight into the working world? freedom from financial worry forever?)
What crazy dream do I want to pursue? (go nuts)

After you have figured out these things individually, discuss it with each other. Work toward a consensus, at least for the next five years.

AND THEN. The hard part.

After you know what you want, assume that you will NEVER EVER EVER make more money than you are making now. You will never make more than $4300 a month. That's it. For the rest of your life.

Now make a plan to get what you want, at least for the next five years, with only that money available to you, and assume one emergency every six months.

Ta-da. A budget.

Strep Vote fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Sep 25, 2014

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
The best budget is a budget you can stick to. It looks fine on paper, so if you can stick to this budget then this is the budget for you. I would really recommend putting your discretionary into cash, because that way you cannot go over. When it's gone, it's gone.

But I would like to bring your attention back to this:

LoreOfSerpents posted:

Please look into selling/donating some of your clutter. Don't raise your kid to think it's normal for him to keep everything he owns. I was in a similar situation a few years back; we had a small house (800-ish square feet, 2 bedrooms) and it was mostly filled with sentimental items from our youth. My mom never did garage sales, so I still had most of my childhood toys, lots of Christmas ornaments, heirlooms from our grandparents, etc. Then we got a job offer in another city. We packed up all of our things, drove halfway across the country in the middle of winter... and someone stole our moving truck.

We lost almost everything we owned. Think about your possessions like that. If you lost all of your stuff, all of it, what would you miss the most? If your house burned down, what would you really wish you'd been able to save? Take pictures of that stuff, scan in your old photos, and back up those files off-site.

I had a 2 bedroom house and one whole room was basically full of books/old artwork/notebooks/computer parts. That was a huge waste of part of our mortgage payment. I don't miss any of those things. I don't miss the antique toy chest I used as a kid. I don't miss the couch or the TV, or the Wii or the PS3 games. I miss the photos. I miss the anniversary gifts and the sentimental jewelry.

It's okay to let go of sentimental things. Take a picture, keep the things that matter the most, and get rid of the rest. Donate it if you aren't motivated to sell it on craigslist or eBay. Think about how much of your rent payment is actually spent on storing things you don't use. You should be able to live comfortably in a 2-bedroom apartment, and you need to establish healthy living habits for your son.

Do this. Take fifteen minutes a day for you and Janus Owl to go through your clutter room and be utterly ruthless in getting rid of things. Don't take MORE than 15 minutes--use a timer and time it. That way you won't burn out. Believe me, I know how it can get. My mom and my husband's mom are constantly trying to unload their clutter on us, and for a long time we took it. However in the past few years we have reduced a clutter-filled room to one medium-sized box of mementos for each of us. If you do not LOVE something, don't keep it. And feeling sentimental about something is not loving it. DO NOT let your kid grow up thinking clutter/hoarding is a part of life. No judgment, that's how I finally got my butt in gear about it: my kid was on the way and I couldn't let him be born into a clutter-filled house. Everything about your kid's brain is enormously plastic for the first five years, and making an ordered environment for him is incredibly important.

And... are you still drying your stuff in front of fans? Have you thought about drying them on a line on the porch? You live in Reno, it should be dry enough/warm enough to suck the water from your clothes fairly easily.

Ugh. I don't want you to be Zaurg. Please don't be Zaurg. If you haven't read his threads all the way through, you should do it.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
Sell tv, keep the bikes. Pop quiz, what will you do with the money you make on the TV?

e: Is your porch not covered? I can hardly imagine your bikes getting rusty in Reno between now and when you move (when your lease is up).

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Cicero posted:

Having a room filled with random crap is dumb, but a baby having an entire room of its own is also dumb (unless you have tons of space).

Roomful of baby is better than a roomful of random crap. Babies also tend to come with a lot of their own poo poo so it'd be good to have a room to put it in.

Get rid of your useless poo poo, KG.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Knyteguy posted:

Yep I agree. I'm gonna talk it over with the wife and hopefully we can get started this weekend.

Take pictures and show us your progress. Don't be that goon who had his kids taken away because his hoarder trailer was one wrong step away from falling through the floor. (He got his act together, but you should probably not reach that point in the first place.)

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Uncle Jam posted:

Having a baby maintenance area is a big help, some kind of changing/storage/clean up station.
Baby in your room for a little while is probably a good idea anyway, but you're gonna wanna move baby after a while so YOU sleep better.

Agree 100%.

Also good job, KG.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
Congrats man, that looks like a good budget, and props for cleaning up that room and unfucking that part of your habitat. That was a measurable, manageable, realistic goal and you achieved it. Feels good, don't it? Enjoy unfucking your finances!

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
How much do you have saved for the baby?

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Knyteguy posted:

I'm still assuming $500/mo + daycare at the moment. I'm hoping I'm high there.

El oh el.

You will not have time for your dogs, by the way. They are about to get (more) neglected for at least six months.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
^^^ A baby is about 10x more stressful as the most stressful event in your life to date. ^^^

Knyteguy posted:

...It's a little demotivating, and it's that kind of ignorant stuff said in there that drives me crazy...

...I personally think we're doing pretty dang good, so the criticism doesn't bother me a whole lot.

Which is it? The biggest difference between you and SloMo is that he calls his detractors "haters" while you just whine and look for sympathy from the posters who still have some kind of faith in you.

PCjr sidecar posted:

You're telling multiple people that their lived experiences which they have shared with you in detail are wrong based on a 30 second Google search and 15 seconds of Wikipedia, but you think people aren't taking the time to engage with you fairly?

KnyteGuy is just as arrogant as SloMo in his own way.

(Cue whining while feigning indifference.)

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

ExtrudeAlongCurve posted:

I bring this up because you have mentioned your plan is to breastfeed, which will save oodles of money and also be the best option. But if it ends up not working out for your wife, not only do you need to not have that be a financial death sentence but you need to make sure your wife knows it's not her fault and not make her feel guilty that it's not happening for her.

We're not supposed to emptyquote, so just seconding this. Are you prepared if you have to pay for formula, or rent an industrial strength breast pump from the hospital for about 80 bucks a month? These are things you have to think about, and you clearly don't.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
^^^ Seriously. She needs to NOT quit her job. She needs to work on learning programming and hopefully she'll love it, but she can't drop her job to learn it because there's no guarantee she won't hate it. There's no amount of money you could pay me per year to do programming, frankly, but hopefully your wife doesn't feel the same way. (Also I completely missed the transition from, "MY WIFE WILL FOR SURE CONTINUE WORKING!" to "Hey, she wants to quit her job, what other thing can she do?" I seem to remember you being certain that this wouldn't happen.)

Knyteguy posted:

^ thanks for sharing guys. That definitely helps.

Icarus for sure I am very stressed lately. As far as something I couldn't do growing up (and I have full awareness of how much of a 1st world problem this is), it was going to France. I had an opportunity to travel with my high school class for a pretty reasonable price of like $2,000 for 2-3 weeks, and yea my parents couldn't afford it despite making probably $150,000 that year (they eventually got past the beans, eggs, and hotdogs phase, but they never got any better with money). But that's such a "wah" that I hate to even bring it up. However when a similar opportunity eventually comes up for my son, I would definitely be happy if we could provide the experience for him.

Thanks again everyone. I just needed a little kick in the rear end/reminder there.

No, that's a GREAT example. That is a great price and you missed out on it because your parents sucked at money... now you suck at money! Here's the thing...when you wake up on that first night home from the hospital, all on your own with that new baby dependent upon you for EVERYTHING, even making sure he's positioned correctly so he can continue BREATHING, it'll probably hit you. He's going to be looking at you from now on for the rest of your life, and he will learn all the terrible things you teach him by being poo poo at money, by being flighty, by being unwilling to change. He will grow up to be just as stressed out and miserable as you are right now if you don't shape the gently caress up, and that'll break your heart. You'll also probably want to give him the best of everything. That should help motivate you, too.

If you want to motivate yourself to be a great parent, I recommend reading this thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3566058 If hearing what it's like having crazy parents/parents poo poo with money/poo poo with emotional junk/poo poo with poo poo doesn't help you, I don't know what will.

By the way, being good with money means never having to worry. All the worry and stress you are feeling right now is your own doing. But the good news is, because you're the one who did it to yourself, you can undo it to yourself! This weekend was the windpocalypse here in the PNW and my power went out and therefore my sump pump didn't work, so I had to bail out my basement. And I was like, "Hmm, it'd be a lot easier to just have someone put a generator into the house so I don't have to bail out my basement every time the power goes out, which is always because I live in the middle of the goddamn woods." So someone's coming on Tuesday to give me quotes on generators, and it's gonna be about 5k, but I don't give a gently caress because I have 5k to blow on a generator so I don't have to bail out my basement at midnight whenever a tree falls in the forest. Is that first world as gently caress? It sure as hell is, and it's awesome. I'd rather spend time with my family and walk my dog and make more money than be constantly worrying about how much I just spent on loving groceries, but I can only do that because of the financial discipline I had earlier in my life. You have that power, man. Maybe not dropping 5k without worrying, but it can be 1k, or 2k. All the frantic justifications and freaking out and stress will just go away if you would stop blowing money at the drop of a hat.

Strep Vote fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Dec 12, 2014

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Robo Boogie Bot posted:

Do you know anyone at all who has had a baby recently? If you do, ask them about what they were able to accomplish during their maternity leave. Everyone will have the same answer, "Well I thought that I would get [x] organized and at least start [y] and [z] while baby slept...but before I knew it, three months was over and I had zero time to do any of those things." It would be great to learn a marketable skill during that time, but I wouldn't bank on it since many people find it hard to find time to shower regularly.

Seriously, this is what is going to happen. It has nothing to do with motivation and everything to do with how much work a baby is. Your house is going to be a disaster, your wife will probably be hormonal as gently caress, your animals are going to be climbing up the wall because you won't have any time for them, and you'll both be stinky and exhausted. You think moving is stressful? It ain't poo poo compared to a new baby. I'd move every month for the next ten years sooner than I'd have another baby. (One and done here.)

Knyteguy posted:

Everyone remember that "buy no new things" thing? I think I'll give that a go again in January. With the Christmas season out of the way it'll be a good exercise to try.

No, you should do it now. Make cookies for Christmas and call it a day. You can change your life at any time, but if you wait until the "right" time to do it then it will never happen because the right time never comes.

Strep Vote fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Dec 13, 2014

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Horking Delight posted:

I really hope that in March or April we don't end up hearing "I know having a baby was going to be hard but we can't get our budget under control because we're just too drat tired all the time to spend so much mental energy on tracking our spending, but we've maxed out one of our credit cards so I'm feeling really discouraged now, guys," because I am absolutely sure people have repeatedly mentioned concerns about your wife having to work or go back to work sooner than she'd prefer, and how hard it is to have a job and raise a baby at the same time.

I'm not trying to poo poo on you or anything and I hope I've made it clear that I've been rooting for you this whole time but these are the unexpected situations that we keep telling you to plan around and you keep blowing us off about.

But that's what makes this thread so great. Everyone says, "But what about X? What about when that happens?" and KG says, "That won't happen, we have the right attitude!" and then a few months later KG casually mentions that X happened and he's like, "yeah, we spent three grand on it, but we had to, WHO COULD HAVE EVER PREDICTED IT??"

Fun times.

Baja Mofufu posted:

I'm also wondering how much your wife is going to feel like learning a new job skill with a newborn. I know the existence of "baby/pregnant brain" is debatable but I've already found myself less able to concentrate on my work, which requires a lot of logic, math, and programming. A close friend of mine in the same field just came back from maternity leave and she got absolutely nothing done on her "baby work list" because of sleep deprivation. I'm planning on being a leaky human blob for three months...

My pregnancy made me rock stupid and it felt like a fog lifted the second I got the kid out of me. Then the PPD came! So yeah. KG, whatever you do, do not pressure your pregnant/post-partum wife to do poo poo like learn programming.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
You don't want to hear it, but your wife has to go back to work.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Old Fart posted:

KG, I think you should stop telling friends and family that you're "thinking about" doing anything. I think a problem in this thread is you just come and plop down any idea you have, then the thread flips out, and you get butthurt and all "geez, it was just an idea." I think you'd be a lot happier if you just chew on things yourself for a day or two before telling us and before telling other people. As I said in my previous post, you're just setting up expectations and then getting upset when you can't meet them.

Case in point:

How about you just chill the gently caress out for two months. Can you do two months?

You are about to have a baby. Guess what, it's not about you any more. Chill the gently caress out and try to have some semblance of stability for eight goddamn weeks. This whole thread is playing goddamn whack-a-mole with your random ideas.

Your life doesn't even have a status quo. It's non-stop chaos with you, and it's about to get more chaotic. Is it any wonder you can't get any kind of solid footing? Can you point to a 4-week span in the past six months where the end of it had the same goals and habits as the beginning of it?

SIMMER DOWN. Find your status quo. Once you're settled and know what the gently caress your rhythm is, THEN you can start planning for poo poo.

Your past HUGE mistakes are why you're in this position. Now you're in detention for six months. But lucky you, because you get to play with a brand new baby during that time. Stop and smell the loving roses. Learn to enjoy what you have. Stop with the chaos already. It's exhausting.

God. This. I had to stop reading this thread for a while because I was starting to actually get stressed out at the thought of your impending baby and your cavalier attitude toward it.

Chaos is terrible for kids. PLEASE give your son a stable place to take root and grow. Your impulses are your enemy.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Knyteguy posted:

I think I've had enough painful financial lessons to last a life time - I would never let us get in a debt situation like we're currently in again.

Yes, you would. You still haven't shown that you learned anything from your previous painful financial lessons, and hence have not changed your approach or habits.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
http://emeals.com/ <---- this was recommended to one of the more tragic BFC stars, though I can't remember who. I used it when my kid was born and it was pretty good. I should also point out that it's cheaper than what you're using now and I don't think it ever suggested eating ice cream for breakfast.

Do you have a blender? You realize you can make a healthy shake with yogurt, ice, fruits, and veggies, right? You could make it the night before. Store it in the fridge.

Meal planning is a great way to lose weight and save money, but if you eat garbage, which always seems to cost more in the end, you're just going to end up feeling like what you're eating.

Knyteguy posted:

They aren't the only options of course, I just feel like I've tried so many other things that I've been unable to execute so far with both health and budgeting food, and I'm just kind of tired of so much time and effort not paying off. At least this is relatively easy.

You seem to put a lot of time and effort into planning rather than executing. You have a problem, man.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
As someone who really did not want kids and then changed her mind (barely), it's completely different when it's your own baby. That first smile from your own baby stops your heart like the first time you ever had a crush and they smiled at you or looked in your direction.

Anyway, we should maybe focus on this?

Bugamol posted:

You completely dodged the question of "what happened to the weeks worth of food you've been claiming is in your refrigerator?".

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

foxatee posted:

Glob drat you make me angry sometimes. But that's only because I made the same mistakes as you and it took having a kid to realize I gotta get my poo poo together. I can bury myself with stupid financial decisions, but not her. I'll teach her what my parents didn't teach me. You should be thinking the same, and break these bad habits you have right loving now.

Seriously this. Get your poo poo together, kg.

n8r posted:

Pretty sure KGfamily is equally as terrible with their money to the point where they cannot afford to take KG/KGwife out but still expect them to go out. Not sure about the whole not taking a baby out to public places. I think the attitudes toward not exposing your kids to the world/allergens early has been changing. YMMV.

Below 2 mos you have to be careful because anti vaxxers have ruined it for everyone and our herd immunity is falling apart and your baby could get whooping cough and you wouldn't even know it until they just stop breathing.

Also measles and tuberculosis and who knows what else. The Chinese keep the babby home with mom for three months and we're going to have to go back to that if we start getting mumps and poo poo all over the place. (I only know this because a sweet Chinese couple were Very Concerned for my 1 month old--"Too young!"--that was out and about at the mall and they were probably right but I was breastfeeding and needed new glasses, so I couldn't leave him at home.)

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
Uh.

That's less than two weeks from now.

You should, uh. Get on that, maybe?

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
Dallas sucks, but then again you are in Reno. There's a much bigger tech sector there, though, but moving away from family can suck.

Not that any of this is applicable to you because you like thinking about changing things rather than actually changing them.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
Don't loving move to silicon valley. Just don't.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Inverse Icarus posted:

Knyteguy's Finances: gently caress me this is harder than I was thinking.

Please change to this, tia

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

BloodBag posted:

Jesus christ, all the get rich quick type of poo poo going on in this thread is so tiring.

The Aristocrats knyteguy thread!

Knyteguy posted:

She already covered the applications process by saying she'll "apply, apply, apply".

Relax, guys, it's in the wiki

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Hawkgirl posted:

I know I'm constantly taking the cheery road in this thread, but I seriously think this is a good thing. How many times has KG dismissed suggestions because he believed that over time, his process was getting him results? Now it's very clear that that is not working. I think it's a very good sign that KG was willing to put this in the thread (even if it was late) and take his knocks for failing. There wasn't any justification or excuses. He failed and he knows it, and maybe now we can talk about how to fix this in the future.

This was a very human and normal failing and I don't think it's useful to start abusing KG about it. If we truly want him to improve then we should talk about how to fix it and not focus on how he hosed up. I know KG is not a child, but there is a shitload of research showing that kids who believe that failing at something is bad do lovely at school because they're not willing to try anything. Failing is a normal part of life and progress. I'd link that one XKCD comic if I weren't on my phone.

Not that anyone is getting abusive, but I think it's worth mentioning before anyone does. People are rooting for you KG, and will be bummed to see your setback. But let's keep it a setback and not a trend. I for one would be willing to fund another charity challenge if that helps motivate you.

Yeah, I've been pretty harsh on you in this thread, but maybe this will be the little nudge you need to get your act together. Thanks for being honest with us.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
One day at a time is good for alcohol problems, smoking problems, and financial problems. So maybe slow down your thinking a little. It might help.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
You need help. More help than "exercise."

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
I still don't think you have the time and energy for an aussie. i'm lounging around with my feet up rn and putting off getting some work done and I don't have the time and energy for an aussie.

The only aussie worth having around a child is an aussie who has decided the child is their responsibility. My mother's aussie/border mix has decided, on her own, i might add, that All Children are under her purview, so she is content with a flock of kid(s) to look after. Otherwise you need sheep or ducks. They are loving working dogs, respect that.

Full disclosure, I own an aussie/great pyrenees mix and she's still a puppy and therefore a fuckin' handful sometimes, but I knew what I was getting into (never off the leash in an unsupervised area, jeez). You clearly didn't. You mentioned that she'd be much happier at a farm that you visited a while ago and I know we're not supposed to suggest rehoming but please think about what's best for your doge (and this includes how sensitive and bonded they are with you).

Post pictures of your dogge so we can say aww how cute too.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

slap me silly posted:

Aargh, stop it! Don't make me start swinging the probe-hammer. But, yeah, doge pics are welcome

i've been reading (posting?) in this thread for a loving year, i demand dog pics

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

bringer posted:

Even when one of them has attacked another familiar dog and there's a baby in the house? This isn't about getting rid of the dog because it's expensive, it's about protecting their baby from a poorly trained dog that has aggression problems.

Yeahhhhh. That injury is worrying.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
It'll be different this time, guys.

Honest.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
Glob drat. Move this thread to en. KG your addictive and impulsive personality are wrecking your life.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
Yeah, you're such a functional adult, demonstrated by good decisions such as:

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

n8r posted:

What sort of savvy things do you plan on doing? One of the things I'd encourage you to do is to write down a firm list of goals for yourself. This will help you stay focused on short, medium, and longer term goals.
What date do you want the car paid off?
When do you want to be able to take a vacation - how much will you have saved to do it?
When will you have 6 months of emergency fund saved?
When will you start saving for retirement?

When you think about making other choices with your money, it would be good to look back these goals and think about whether or not they will effect your larger goals.

This was suggested at least a year, year and a half ago. Worked great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Knyteguy posted:

Paying off my kid's hospital bills in full as soon as they were billed to us
Going from unemployment to a 60,000/yr job
Asking for help regarding our finances, and sticking with it for 2 years acknowledging my own shortcomings, despite massive criticism

I know you're rooting for me QF. I saw what you did in the blue story thread. You're a nice person despite yourself.

lol it's called tough love dipshit

your finances are only a symptom of your issues and can't be fixed until you address those issues IN THERAPY FOR REAL

you evade and elide constantly, but you know you can't run from your escapist tendencies forever. you already admitted you have issues with alcohol WHICH IS OK BECAUSE A LOT OF PEOPLE DO, but now it seems like you're addicted to cigarettes? you probably still drink, too. you trade your addictions and your impulses are a bandaid on whatever cancer you have going on in your head.

Get your poo poo together. It's ok to have problems, it is not ok to know you have problems and then not address them especially if you are a parent to a helpless babby, goddam

Edit: This thread is two years old. Tuyop and Cornholio pulled it together in that amount of time. Meanwhile your thread is still spinning its wheels. There has to be a reason for that.

Strep Vote fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Oct 12, 2015

• Locked thread