Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians

Knyteguy posted:

My wife accidentally curbed one of our hub caps, so it's not in pristine condition anymore either.
This might be something you can find in a junk yard super cheap, or on any model-specific forums online from people upgrading to proper rims or something, at the worst it shouldn't be too expensive to replace, if you decide to sell or trade this for something else—or even if you just want to hold onto it and fix up the hub cap.

Knyteguy posted:

We're overdue for our 160,000 service for our truck, and it also needs an oil change. I'm not sure what that will cost, but we definitely won't be making much progress until the 7th (my next paycheck) at the earliest.
My real question is how do you owe $7,000 on a vehicle with 160,000 miles on it? :aaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

Dunno if these are right, but should give you an idea as to how much a replacement hubcap'll cost: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-2010-2011-Ford-FUSION-Hubcap-Wheelcover-/110797321608

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

Dunno how much it helps, but I'm a meat-lover who mostly eats vegetarian out of laze, making meat more for meals where I'm happy to spend some time cooking. Eggs are great to keep on hand and cheap. Whole chickens are generally p. cheap; on sale for $1 a pound is very doable; you can make all kinds of delicious stuff easily and use the bones for stock for other deliciousness. Steel-cut oats for breakfast are pretty cheap if you can get 'em in the bulk foods aisle, and with a can of pumpkin or a piece or two of fruit can easily make a nice pretty healthy breakfast for the week all at once. It's not rolled/steamed and still has some protein and other nutrients that regular oatmeal doesn't. Also, when you've got room in your budget, it might be a good idea to pick up a container of whey protein--I use it when I'm working out, but it's also really nice to just have the option to occasionally make a relatively nutritious meal-replacement shake for gently caress-all cost.

E: Chickpeas for hummus too; it's super cheap to make yourself, takes very little time, has some protein, and is pointlessly delicious.

Nur_Neerg fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jan 3, 2015

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

SiGmA_X posted:

Do you have any suggested recipes? I'd love to try some different ones. We wind up buying hummus because of the flavor.

I normally keep tahini, lemon juice, and fresh garlic around. So one 15-ounce can of garbs just the beans but reserve the water, 4 tbsp tahini, 2 tbsp lemon juice, a couple cloves of garlic in a food processor, process till mostly a chunky paste. I tend to spice it with salt and pepper here, then taste it, adjust with the lemon juice/garlic/spices until you're happy with the flavor, then add a bit of the reserved water and keep processing/adding water until you're happy with the consistency. It's pretty much just going by feel/taste. Most people top it with some paprika and a little bit of olive oil in a depression on top. Minced garlic is really nice, pine nuts are a really nice addition. I like to put some cayenne to flavor in mine too, and tend to go heavy on the garlic/lemon.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

strawberrymousse posted:

Personally, I swear by the recipe at Smitten Kitchen, which is easily as good as anything at the store and hardly takes any time even with the extra step of rubbing the skins off the beans.

Also, seconding the suggestion of oatmeal with cheap fillers for breakfast. In fact, you can apparently make no-cook oatmeal in the fridge overnight which sounds like a great thing to make several of on Sunday evening and just pull out of the fridge each morning. It can probably even be microwaved if it's too cold out right now. (Disclaimer: I haven't tried this myself. Though now I really want to.)

I'll give that hummus a shot for sure, it looks delicious. I really enjoy making this steel-cut oatmeal, it's got really good texture and flavor and is perfect for the season reheated with some milk. Also pretty cheap, and just gets new fruit and spice mixes for whatever's seasonal most of the year.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

strawberrymousse posted:

Holy crap, that looks amazing! And yeah, I can't think of any reason other fruit purees wouldn't work just as well, definitely apple or pear, even peach might be good to try. Come to think of it, it would also be really easy to make a batch of this on a weekend and then reheat a bowl every morning with additions like a handful of raisins or berries to keep it interesting. Well, there's breakfast taken care of from now until summer!

I cube up honeycrisp in the fall and cook it with a lot of cinnamon. Blueberries, strawberries, blackberries, raspberries have all been really good as well. I could probably get down on sweet potato too.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

Knyteguy posted:

Thank you for improving on the message here (in your whole post). I respect that much more.

Why do you consider this impulsive though? We've been thinking about it for a couple weeks, we're planning for it, we're preemptively asking for input.

If the consensus is absolutely "we can't afford it" then fine, but for all I know everyone in here would have said "well looking at your discretionary... you may be able to make this work". That's what I was asking.

You can't afford it. Also you shouldn't plan any serious trips with your child until you've met said child.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

Figure out how much you're actually spending on food. And figure out what you're buying that's worth it and what isn't. Save your receipts from all grocery purchases for the next couple months so you can actually get a good idea of what things cost and if you think it's worth the cost/benefit or cost/enjoyment.

Also count me in the 'can't tell if KG's trolling' crowd, because good god.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

Knyteguy posted:

I don't want to commit to no restaurants in February since the baby will probably call for some takeout.

I'm just messing with you, but oh man this wording is so good. Like father like son. :v:

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

April posted:

Which is why there are options for reducing or eliminating medical debt for indigent patients. I'm not saying that the cost of medical care is in any way OK in this country, but something about "I don't like the price of this service I used, so I'm just not going to pay it" rubs me wrong.

Seems to be more about how prices are inflated entirely arbitrarily on a service that you have zero choice about using along with a culture of misinformation propagated by the service providers. Accept an absolutely absurd amount of debt, enough to bankrupt most families, or die. Your choice. If the hospital legitimately gave a poo poo about their patients they wouldn't be hitting them with a hilariously massive bill the hospital KNOWS they can't afford, while providing their patients with absolutely zero information about any kind of financial services available to them. There's a reason non-profit hospitals are the highest profit-margin business in the US.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

Congratulations KG! Sounds like everything went about as well as you could expect!

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

For recipes specifically, gently caress printing. I find it way easier to just keep the ones I like enough to make more than once in a folder in gmail. Just email them to yourself, change the tag, voila. Recipes in your pocket!

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

Saros posted:

Jesus christ 2 weeks Pto only? Is that normal in the US because I get 28 days + 8 public holidays and even that runs out too fast. I'm not even in nearly as hot a field as computer things.

Yeah, Vacay's not great round these parts. I'm lucky that I'm with a travel company and we start at 15+8 holidays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

Bugamol posted:

Just remember - getting a job in Silicon Valley or Seattle is probably going to mean working 50-60 hour weeks (plus commutes). Since you couldn't handle being stuck at work for an extra hour to wait for a car ride each day I'm not sure if this aligns to your goals.

I recently got a job offer from Amazon in Seattle and turned it down even though it was a substantial raise.

1.) Rent is about $2,000-$2,500 a month for a studio in the city
2.) Rent is about $1600 a month outside the city but it's a 45 - 60 minute commute
3.) They work A LOT (even though I work about 60 hours a week right now, ugh)
4.) We would be moving pretty far away from family

You continue to have misaligned goals and will continue to be unhappy and impulsive if you can't figure that poo poo out.

To be fair, it's entirely possible to get a nice studio for <$1200 in Seattle. Amazon's an INTENSE place to work though, not exactly a ton of long-timers.

• Locked thread