Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Schiavona posted:

You really need to take your grocery receipts for a month and take a good look at them, because $400+ a month for two people is absurd unless you're eating filet mignon topped with foie gras and fig jam for every meal or you live in the rear end end of Alaska.
I don't think $6.66 per person per day is "absurd". They could probably get it down to $300 without too many sacrifices, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Knyteguy posted:

endless post
You do a lot of talking, which isn't by definition bad but it's a huge sign that you're going to rationalize stuff. Being in shape a few years back doesn't make you not overweight now, nor does it justify spending a lot of money on gym stuff.

You're about five steps ahead of where your mind should be - on getting your lifestyle, spending, and mindset under control right now. You still think that buying a $300 guitar for somebody just getting into it and who may not even stick with it (not a judgement on your wife, this is just how things are) was a good idea when there are guitars on Craigslist. You're also still buying brand new video games and brand new video game systems when there's an ocean of cheap-rear end used games out there which are just as fun.

Here's the fun part about BFC: numbers don't lie. And they're the reality of your finances - the words don't matter. There's a part of your brain that you're going to have to deprive and re-train (the spendy part), and the more you let yourself rationalize the more you'll give it a chance at survival.

Also - being under-budget in one area doesn't justify being over-budget in another. Behaving this way will almost guarantee that you'll be consistently over-budget, because you're neutralizing the effect of positive randomness and only exposing yourself to negative randomness.

Of course, the most important thing to remember is that you're acting in your own self-interest! Be greedy, save money!

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Knyteguy posted:

Alright, I went ahead and edited out the frivolous stuff of the last post; I was getting a bit chatty during my lunch break, but I don't want it diluting the point of what I was trying to say. You're right I do rationalize; I've also got a lot of willpower when I put my mind to it, so hopefully there won't be too many purchases to rationalize during this process.
Feeling like you're using willpower is a sign that you're thinking about the wrong stuff.

Not to dwell on your old post too much, but you were talking about all the cool stuff that you wanted to be able to afford later (house, weights, etc). If you spend all your time thinking about your goals, you're going to feel like you're denying yourself all the time. Being goal-oriented sucks because you're pretty much never happy, you're always striving.

I guess what I mean is - take pleasure in paying down your debt. Your main mission is to find a way to line up your satisfaction and your self-interest so that willpower's got nothing to do with it. After that, it's pretty easy. There's maybe a little discomfort at the beginning, but always remind yourself that you're doing this for yourself.

If you start to believe that you'd actually be better off spending lots of money instead of saving money, come back so that we can put you back in line!

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Knyteguy posted:

It'll lead to better teeth hygiene. My mother has been in the dental industry for many years and highly recommends them, as does our hygienist. The quadrant timer is awesome and my mouth definitely feels healthier. My wife got a good comment from the hygienist about it too.

Could it have waited, and is it somewhat of a luxury? Sure. Why dwell on our past behavior if we're working on the future though?
I don't mean to torture you, but the main issue with the toothbrush is that you spent a hundred dollars on it when there are highly-rated electric toothbrushes on Amazon for $40.

The main reason to think about past purchases is to ask yourself what you would do differently. You're not going to stop buying things entirely, and that goal will always be a failure. The point of reconsidering past behavior is to create a model for future behavior.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Knyteguy posted:

Ah we probably should have checked Amazon. It would have saved us some money plus tax.

Does anyone do any household good shopping on Amazon? I'll have to check how it is for razors, vitamins, supplements, and the like.
It's phenomenal for household goods! Probably what I use it for the most (besides free kindle books).

I buy everything online except for groceries and furniture. It lets me research purchases, get the lowest price, and even lets me avoid some impulse purchases. Plus I don't have to spend time going to stores.

Of course, I have prime, so it's a lot more fun... may even be a worthwhile investment (especially if you get into the goon splitting of prime accounts in SA-mart if that's still going on).

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

pomme posted:

Fake edit: I just wanted to suggest a recipe for something called "taco soup." I see you bought beans, and it is a really cheap way to have a filling, cheap meal that is also really delicious. Just google it, and put whatever crap in it you want. If I may, I suggest canned olives and jalapeņos. Great crockpot dish.
Barf. Take a pork shoulder, salt it, put it in your own at 225 degrees before you go to work, eat it when you get home.

Make some vegetables if you want.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

pomme posted:

You're crazy. Who doesn't like tacos?
No reason to put olives in your Mexican food...

Slow-cookering's probably best for beef, but beef's a little more expensive so pork is runner-up, I find chicken nasty in the slow-cooker... Myself I choose to pressure-cook.

Having a giant boneless cooked pork roast in the fridge and a bunch of vegetables pre-cooked hanging around you can just slice and serve the pork and microwave your plate. Beans optional.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Dec 9, 2013

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Buying a new car was a really bad decision... Why would you do that?

No Wave fucked around with this message at 13:12 on May 29, 2014

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

slap me silly posted:

... is the worst enemy of feminism. One, why the hell should you try to do it all? Two, why should you capitulate to the prevailing culture to do it?
She's not... she appears to be leaning towards taking time off to raise her kid.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Aug 14, 2014

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

moana posted:

Well then she doesn't practice what she preaches, because in Lean In all she talks about is how you shouldn't cut back on hours, you're shooting yourself in the foot if you quit your job and stay away from work for too long, daycare is good value because you're decreasing your earning and earning potential every year you stay off the job, blah blah blah.
Sorry, in my previous post, when I said "she" I was referring to you. The poster I was quoting before may have recognized that you haven't made a final decision yet, though, so I may have misinterpreted them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

There's absolutely no way that you have a 12 ounce food processor. That is the size of a can of soda.

• Locked thread