Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005
I sure hope I don't get banned

Knyteguy posted:

Wife is thinking of enrolling in this semester in our community college's dental hygiene program. The market for that position is expect to grow 38% from 2010-2020, and the average pay is $67,000 a year (more than I make).

What's everyone think? My mom is in the field so she'll find out more about the lifestyle before committing.

I think you should think critically about those expectations. First of all, they're out of date, so it sounds to me like they were lifted off of a pamphlet that no one's bothered updating in at least two years. The new numbers from the BLS say that 10-year growth is 33% (big change from 38% in 2 years), and the median (not average) pay is about $70,000.

Whether that means there will actually be jobs in your area, or whether those jobs in your area will actually pay that much once she's got the degree is anyone's guess. What your wife wants to do with her life matters a lot more than the possible job growth percentage or median salary, especially since you'll need to spend money on credits, exams, etc. It's also not a great idea to bank on not having to reduce hours. No one can predict how well they'll be able to handle that kind of workload.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005
I sure hope I don't get banned

Knyteguy posted:

Other than that we're doing pretty good I think. Our apartment complex is having a drawing for everyone who pays rent on the first for $100. Because we've been doing so well we'll actually be able to pay rent by then and considering there's less than 100 units in our complex and most people don't pay on the first (hence the drawing) I'd say our odds are OK.

What the gently caress? Your landlord has to bribe tenants into paying rent on time?

• Locked thread