Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

April posted:

This. This. THISTHISTHIS. You have NO idea how much babies cost until they arrive. None. Zero. Sure, you can plan for some things ("we'll buy a used crib for $50, done!") but you seriously don't know what you're getting into with a new baby until you're into it. Fun example - I had a fairly normal pregnancy, a daughter who was born with zero complications, spent one night in the hospital & was home with her the next day. Fast forward about 6 weeks, we find out she has pretty severe acid reflux, and has to use prescription formula to the tune of $300/month.

When babies are involved, you can really only control so much of it.

I'd like to remind everyone that when the Zaurg thread was active and he found out his wife was pregnant, we admonished him to add a line item for baby expenses.

He budgeted $100.

Knyteguy, don't be a Zaurg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Knyteguy posted:

That's fine. As long as we keep doing what we've been doing MINUS the big budget gently caress off mistakes, then 2015 will show much, much better results.

I swear you'll not realise the gravity of your situation until, like a drug addict, you hit rock bottom.

6 weeks from now.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Knyteguy posted:

I think she's more concerned about something else that we can fix relatively easily.

What is it what is it tell us what it is please man don't hide 'little unimportant things' from us because gently caress man your history in this thread has shown us pretty consistently that you're bad a gauging what is a small problem and what is a big one.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
KG, you continue to play shell games with your finances, and to ignore very sensible advice that this thread gives you regarding your career. When dealing with your livelihood, you should NEVER make ultimatums of an employer unless you're comfortable with the termination of your employment being a possible outcome, and YOU HAVE A loving KID, so absent either savings WAY in excess of what you currently have or a secure job offer that you're 100% able to transition into without it being a net loss, that isn't an option for you.

You're playing the nuclear option right off the bat rather than just starting by negotiating for a raise. This is a career-limiting move, and were I your boss the fact that you came at me with "this is what elsewhere would pay me, hint hint" rather than "here are my achievements, here is what the work I am doing is worth, this is why my value to the company is greater than currently negotiated" would make me mentally bookmark you as a likely candidate to jump ship, and therefore unsuitable for future opportunities for development.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
For reals though, the central thesis that kg is continuing to play shell games with finances and handwave important issues and be evasive regarding information that either puts him in a bad light or would likely spur us to tell him to do something he doesn't want to do is still solid.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Knyteguy posted:

On top of all that my boss simply said that raises are delayed; not that I'm not getting one this year. There's still a chance and I'll bring it up once a month until I know more. I probably wrote "no raise this year" so that's my fault.

People can't tell if you're absentminded, evasive, or outright lying to cover your ego in this thread, and frankly when you come in and make a correction like this it makes me wonder where the lie is - in the original statement or the follow up.

If you want help you need to give us an accurate idea of your situation, but conveniently 'forgetting' things is a very bad habit you have.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
KG, I'd like you to imagine that you're following a weight-loss thread in YLLS. A big Fatty-Boom-Bah goonlord turns up, and stats that not only will he lose weight, but he will also keep going until he's got the bodyfat percentage of an elite Russian gymnast. People roll their eyes a little, but they give him sound fundamental advice. He doesn't always stick to it, but by making efforts towards calorie-counting and meal tracking his weight (while fluctuating) trends downwards, and while he's not looking like an elite athlete, he's merely overweight rather than being a clinically morbidly obese couchbound blubbernaut.

Then Fatty-Boom-Bah goes dark for a few months, and comes back saying "What's up guys, just to let you know I've stopped counting calories and here's a picture of a wedding cake that I just ate in one sitting and it's part of the nature of this cake that I'll have to have a small slice of additional cake with every meal. I'm also considering eating double portions at dinner and making up for it by doing 20 pushups. Overall I think I'm doing well.".

1. Are you frustrated by this.

2. List the reasons why.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Why would you torpedo yourself by adding 'looking for a fast sale' on the end there?

Did you learn nothing about keeping your cards close to your chest from the asking for a raise fiasco?

Why?

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Knyteguy posted:

Raise fiasco? I'm confused. I don't feel like I lost any leverage from those conversations. Actually after asking for a new title, my boss pretty much immediately went into raise conversation (why would I want a new title if I wasn't looking for something new?)

Otherwise I dunno I just thought it would get people to act. "Shoot this car might go fast I'd better call now". I'm not actually looking for a fast sale. But now that you mention it that could attract lowballers who think I need to sell.

I've never sold a car private party before :ohdear:

Edit also it seems like everyone typos/has a certain improper style on Craigslist. I cargo culted that a little bit, but I'm not sure if that's a good strategy.

https://youtu.be/cKUvKE3bQlY?t=43

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Knyteguy posted:

Throw some constructive criticism my way if you want then.

1. You need to stop flailing. You have a tendency to make large-scale gut-reaction purchasing decisions, and it torpedoes any incremental progress you make.

2. Following on from this, you need to decide on a fixed budget, make no major changes to your life, and stick to the budget for several months in a row. This is basically the foundation of what should be your ongoing financial discipline, the bedrock upon which your future financial success needs to be laid, and for the last two years you have absolutely not met this very fundamental financial habit without which you will not succeed.

Expanding on my previous diet analogy: you've been on the financial equivalent of a fad diet/binge cycle. You need to reorder your thinking and look at the benefits of a constant lifestyle change instead.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Playing shell games with budget categories has kinda been his thing from the beginning guys. He needs to go back and sort out some fundamentals or the foundation of his efforts will keep crumbling.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
KG I swear you are literally Steve Martin and we are Chris Parnell and this sketch has been going on for almost 2 years now.

If it sounds overly simplistic or sarcastic or mean-spirited or condescending, it's because after almost 2 years you are still Steve Martin.

Work on your fundamentals, dude.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Either KG is deliberately trolling his own thread and is turning into another Blue Story, or he legit spent about 1/2 a year's discretionary budget on "SELF-RAISING FLOUR" while in debt and supporting a child.

The last year or so of this thread has basically been:

:v: Hey guys how do I best approach my financial situation?
:geno: Generally speaking, you should create a budget and stick to it while paying down debt.
:v: Hey guys, I just blew a shitload of money on unnecessary expenses and made changes to the budget because reasons. How do I best approach my financial situation?
:geno: Generally speaking, you should stick to your budget while paying down debt.
:v: Hey guys, I'm thinking of making a major financial decision that will leave me worse off. How do I best approach my financial situation?
:geno: Don't do that, you should focus on sticking to your budget for an extended period while paying down debt.
:v: Hey guys, I've spent 3 months shuffling budget items around and tweaking it so that my goals match my reality rather than the other way around. There's also a lot of money missing. How do I best approach my financial situation?
:supaburn:gently caress'S SAKE, stop doing that, track your finances, agree on a stable budget that you're capable of sticking to, and stick to it while paying down debt.
:v: You're all a bunch of aggressive sarcastic shouty haters.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Knyteguy posted:

WE HAVE NO loving INSURANCE STOP SAYING THIS I ALREADY HAVE OUTLINED AN ENTIRE PLAN WHERE I HAVE SAID I WILL DO SO STARTING ON NOVEMBER 1

gently caress

"I DON'T HAVE ANY SPARE MONEY TO SPEND ON MY OWN WELL-BEING!", said the chain-smoking cokehead dipsomaniac.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
KG may not be in as dire straits, financially speaking, but he's definitely more Zaurg than Cornholio.

The sad thing is, he's super loving lucky to have the income and support that he has, because he has the luxury of squandering it. Take away his job that pays well or add an unexpected medical expense and he's hosed. His situation isn't the biggest barrier to financial solvency; it's always been his attitude and habits, but those really haven't changed substantially over the course of 4 years.

Step one needs to be sorting himself out mentally so that he can eliminate the stuff in his life that's negatively influencing him. Step two is for him to commit to actually stop lying to himself and others, to stop hiding information, and to stop chasing the idea that he can somehow balance his budget by shuffling spending categories around. It's at this point that he'll be ready to actually start a BFC thread, i.e. he'll be where he needed to be back in 2011 when he first came for help. Step three will be to set a budget and actually attempt to stick to it for several months with no changes to it and without impulsively spending $2,500 on purchases like a loving gaming computer, what the gently caress.

Basically, KG has a long way to run before he even reaches the starting line.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Knyteguy posted:

I'm not going to close the thread.

Lucky? I've been working with computers since I was in 5th grade and I got my hands on my first one. That's when I built my first website and started to learn HTML. I had my first taste of logical programming at 11, I started working with C++ and PHP by the time I was 13, and I was running two mildly successful websites making profits by the time I was 17. I've been running Linux or Windows servers of some sort for about 10 years. I'm not lucky to have my career or income. I've earned it through two decades of learning.

Unexpected medical expense? Our emergency fund would cover our out of pocket maximum deductible. My job? I've figured this out with my wife. Using our money on hand we could make it for quite awhile. Her job much longer. Obviously our rate of spending would change drastically for awhile.

Yes, yes, you're a self made captain of industry off of the sweat of your brow, but do you maybe want to address the other key points of that post? Like how you have been consistently hiding or misrepresenting information from us for literally years? Or your constant shell games with money and budget categories? Or how after four years you've still not managed to set and stick to a budget or to avoid making multi thousand dollar unplanned (and often frivolous) purchases for more than a couple months at a time?

The only person you're fooling is yourself.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

BossRighteous posted:

Why wouldn't this thread still be open? What is so hugely offensive about keeping it open? Who does the thread exist for at this point? I would think Knyteguy, and if so, the closing of the thread is his call. I doubt he opened it to validate peoples' armchair psychologists degrees.

KG's problem isn't people psychoanalysing him, rightly or wrongly, it's that he is operating as the punchline to an ancient SNL skit in his real life and has done so after literally years of being given advice by people in this forum.

There's an unwillingness to change his habits that he's not making any headway on, and I honestly believe that he needs a Cornholio-esque rock-bottom-oh-poo poo-I-just-lost-my-ability-to-work-and-now-understand-how-precarious-my-position-really-is moment before he'll actually make some positive lasting changes.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

His screaming meltdown over my earlier hyperbolic comment regarding his drug use did smack of overt defensiveness. :(

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Knyteguy posted:

Hey thanks for contributing to the discussion with such thoughtful posts over and over. Maybe you shouldn't get so invested in stranger's posts that you get SO upset that they didn't want to answer your prodding personal questions repeatedly for years. This especially true since you're giving advice when you self-admittedly really didn't have any financial skills at the age of the person whose thread you're posting in, and instead found a partner to take care of most of that for you. Even more so when you yourself are again self-admittedly guilty of some of the things that I am being advised against, such as reconciling instead of budgeting.

Also good god man I'm 29 and you're pushing 40 aren't you? Maybe you should find something better to do than post fart noises like a juvenile on an internet forum. At least I'm getting paid to write this right now.

Your choice as to whether to light a candle or curse the darkness, dude, but frankly your overblown petulance in light of the fact that (after lying to people in the thread outright, playing shell games with your finances to try and save face, obfuscating pertinent information, constantly rebuffing good advice, and shirking the accountability you literally asked for in the first post) some people are sick of you failing to take accountability for your progress is really, really funny.

People are frustrated by your superhuman ability to fail to change your attitude towards your situation, and if you can't take your life seriously why should they?

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
If you're not willing to discuss your plans for your finances and career development in this the business, finance and careers forum, then you should close the thread and save everyone the hassle. You're off on a tangent again, flailing around and shuffling money from category to category and month to month, obfuscating your finances and generally spazzing out.

You even talked about counting chickens with regards to your tax bill for fucks sake.

We're not telling you to formulate a budget and stick to it for several months for shits and giggles here. It's fundamentally about developing the very basics of personal financial management so that you have habits that will see you on the straight and narrow for your future.

Yet in the years that you've been posting here you've not managed to stick to a stable budget for a three month period. Not once.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Come back to this thread when you're able to delay gratification and stop robbing the future for the sake of immediate comfort, because the path you both want and need to take is incompatible with your attitude.

One hour a week cuddle time with an infant is less important than the prospect of having it more together during their formative years.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Antifreeze Head posted:

Could you maybe expand on this? To me it reads like you have a business, it had some funds in the bank, you used those funds to buy a PS4. Then you sold the PS4 and used the proceeds to pay down personal debt?

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Breetai posted:

The last year or so of this thread has basically been:

:v: Hey guys how do I best approach my financial situation?
:geno: Generally speaking, you should create a budget and stick to it while paying down debt.
:v: Hey guys, I just blew a shitload of money on unnecessary expenses and made changes to the budget because reasons. How do I best approach my financial situation?
:geno: Generally speaking, you should stick to your budget while paying down debt.
:v: Hey guys, I'm thinking of making a major financial decision that will leave me worse off. How do I best approach my financial situation?
:geno: Don't do that, you should focus on sticking to your budget for an extended period while paying down debt.
:v: Hey guys, I've spent 3 months shuffling budget items around and tweaking it so that my goals match my reality rather than the other way around. There's also a lot of money missing. How do I best approach my financial situation?
:supaburn:gently caress'S SAKE, stop doing that, track your finances, agree on a stable budget that you're capable of sticking to, and stick to it while paying down debt.
:v: You're all a bunch of aggressive sarcastic shouty haters.

Bolding for the part of the Knyteguy cycle we're currently on.

Seriously, you were doing so well, and now you're playing the 'I'm obfuscating major decisions from this thread' game again?

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Knyteguy posted:

I will post more about it when I know if it's feasible. Until then it doesn't mean much. 8-12 months away minimum anyway and that's if we're super solid on drastically cutting discretionary spending for that long, which isn't the most realistic thing in the world. But we want to try, and so we will.

Reiterating:
1) We're going to be focusing more on paying down debt more quickly. Budget stays the same except for the cost of day care going up, which will come from discretionary.
2) Remote work full time woo hoo (likely, not for sure). Our lease is up in 6 months so we'll want to look into moving closer to my wife's work to cut commute time for her.

This could mean a lot. I'll have a few months to see how remote work pans out, and then a few months to make a decision on moving. I really don't want to move again. It could really make my wife's life easier cutting down her 40-45 minute commute (1-way) and save us some money though, so we have to look into it. We'll have to weigh options.

e: so relax everyone. Stuff is still going well. My only concern is keeping to the budget this month, and I intend to keep working hard to do that. I'll fill you in when I actually know what to fill you in on.

Is THE THING the move/remote work, or is it something else.

Your level of clarity within the thread is dropping and that's rarely a good sign.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Knyteguy posted:

Both?

Kinda?

No. Not yet. Eventually.

Well the thread will disagree with me unless I actually have some details and a plan. Like I said I don't know exactly what I'd be able to do here if I did it.

But fine, here's what I'm looking into:

http://www.technomadia.com/young-full-time-rving-nomads/
http://www.technomadia.com/the-finances-how-to-afford-it/

I'm looking into maybe doing something like this, if it's possible, in a year or so, for a year or so. The problem with all of it is there are so many unknowns financially and otherwise that I didn't think it was worth talking about it yet.

Yeesh you guys are persistent. I don't even know if it's viable, if I could do it while working, how it would affect our finances, and about 1,000,000 other unknowns. I wanted to wait until I knew at least some of those before going into more detail.

It's a neat idea though. I'd like to stress that I don't even know if it's something we want to do.

Quoting this for posterity.

Your ability to derail yourself whenever you finally look like you're getting on the right track is probably something that you should bring up in therapy.

Seriously; can't you just sit tight without getting grandiose plans for major life changes and just focus on sticking to your budget for an extended period while paying down debt?

What is it about keeping an even hand on the keel and just staying in the same place but on the right course that dissatisfies you?

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Knyteguy posted:

Nah I don't care about RVs in particular. Yes it's the freedom.

This, right here, is a red loving flag.

To push an analogy (although addiction analogies are rather flexible): you know how when describing people with overeating disorders caused by psychological problems the metaphor is used that they 'eat their feelings'?

You spend your feelings.

So rather than working out how to bend your budget so that you can inject a large dollop of freedom via RV drip, maybe work out what has you feeling trapped in the first place.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Part of being an adult with caring responsibilities for a child is that your life isn't 100% your own, and you can no longer live 100% for today. You can indulge in rv/camping, but you're going to have to trade that off against other discretionary income opportunities and choose what you'd prefer to spend your money and time on, and taking a whole year off is not likely within the scope of responsible actions you can take now or in the near future.

Sometimes the most that you can do is prioritise as much as you can within your boundaries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

n8r posted:

Lurkin' KG's recent post history - looks like he bought a $900 office chair and also probably bought a ~$1k+ Gaming laptop for 'dev' (mmmhmm sure).

As much as I like watching 'man gets hit in groin by football' or the financial equivalent therof, this is kind of weird and you should probably think about better things to do with your time.

• Locked thread