Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Just read this thread, it was sort of reasonable and it sort of seemed like you were on track and then it skipped a few months and BAM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Buy an HTPC and stream that poo poo for free. :ssh:

I understand if you want to support the business and stuff because you like it, but frankly I think your baby comes first.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Veskit posted:

Nothing. I think the thread is just turning in because there's a lot of frustrating of Knyte effectively puting in the plan but never being able to execute it and constantly looking at the need to buy things.

coming back to say they bought a 26k car and were having a baby was enough to turn me

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

The difference is you told us after you did it, perhaps because you didn't want us to tell you something other than what you wanted to hear. Sorry I got the number wrong, but you said yourself that you had 25k outstanding on the loan, regardless of whether it was from negative equity or the cost of the new car. (It will certainly cost you more than $26k at that interest rate though unless you are gonna pay it off soon.)

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jul 18, 2014

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

He might pirate the books that dirty thief.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

That thing looks like a pain in the rear end. I agree a drying rack sounds reasonable, but that washing machine looks like something you'll try to use once and give up on. Sounds like it washes like 2 pairs of pants or 3 shirts at a time, forget that. Just say no.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Inverse Icarus posted:

Yeesh. Guess I lucked out in my previous apartments. I guess it was six years ago.

Yeah mine is 2.50-3.50 just to wash depending on the size of the load, and then something like 2.50 for 30 minutes of drying, and 50 cents for every 6 minutes beyond that. I'm a single guy and I have enough clothing that I can get away with 2-3 washings a month but it's pretty harsh.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

imabanana posted:

If your wife can stay home, and is happy to do so, do what you can to make it happen. Don't stress over your wife having a hard time going back to work later - that's loser mentality.

While I don't disagree with the rest of your post, this is silly. Sanely estimate the expected loss in income from this, weigh that against your wife's feelings, and decide which option makes the most sense together. You don't have to ignore the opportunity cost to recognize that your wife's feelings are important and have genuine value.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

n8r posted:

Can't you just pirate an NFL stream like a normal computer nerd?

Edit:
Sell some poo poo, buy your wife some new poo poo with $$ you made from selling things.

Yeah I backhandedly suggested this earlier. Watching at a friend's house also seems like a good option.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Yeah understanding opportunity cost is huge and not something that you will do instinctively. Things cost more than the number of dollars on the price tag because you also lose out on whatever else you could have spent those dollars on that might well have been worth more to you.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Old Fart posted:

Sorry to belabour the point, but you're not operating a month ahead. I have ten months of expenses saved up, but I'm not ten months ahead. I'm one month ahead. The amount of money in my accounts has absolutely nothing to do with my budget.

There's a reason why operating a month ahead is the end goal of YNAB, separate from any other savings goals. I don't know how many times you want me to repeat that the psychological effect is one of relief and stress reduction. After a while, you don't even care when your paychecks come in.

If you have the savings to do it right now, then do it. You have nothing to lose. If you don't like it after six months, then go back to what you're doing now.

Is there really stress caused by when your paychecks come in if you can just transfer money from savings and transfer it back when it comes in? That is, outside of what a late paycheck says about the company you work for. I guess one is more tempted to blow money in one's checking account but to me that's the same. I guess I'm fortunate in that my budgeting has very little to do with my income, a paycheck coming in is a non-event to me.

I think YNAB kind of overemphasizes it, to me living month to month with a one month buffer is mostly the same as living month to month.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

People have said everything that needs to be said I think. The big attitude adjustment is really hard to understand or even believe when you haven't made it. It feels really bad to not get something you want, especially when you look at an account balance that is much larger than it. But post-adjustment, while it still isn't a great feeling to not buy something, it also feels similarly bad in the same way to spend money, even on something you are really looking forward to. Growing up, my parents were divorced, and my mom was frugal all along while my dad was not, and even as a child the difference was readily observable. You can see the change in similar threads like this one(Sample Tuyop's thread if you haven't). I realize you can't conjure that aversion out of thin air, but trust me, really feeling the pain of opportunity cost the same way you feel the pain of bills will make a world of difference.

On a less serious note, I promise that you will have just as much fun playing any number of the dozens of pc, ps3, ps2, snes etc games that you have not played, and first year console games are generally pretty bad anyway. There are more videogames out there than you will have time to play in your entire life, and 99.9% of the really good ones are not on ps4. I assure you it will be untouched while you have an infant at home, and once they get a little older, it will cost less and you'll have a much better grasp on how much time you can really spend on it.

I understand the frustration that other posters/myself feel, and I understand if you feel burned out bearing the brunt of that, because you don't see what they see. Hopefully you will be able to look back on this thread five years from now and will have grown enough that you'll feel it too.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Sep 22, 2014

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Uncle Jam posted:

Oh man. Whatever you do, please don't tell your grandmother who is willing to give you up to $20,000 that you have decided to contribute nothing towards your child's entrance into adulthood.

Yeah this is pretty strange to me as well but I didn't want to derail the thread bringing it up.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Hawkgirl posted:

Sometimes I think you take things the wrong way. I think the people commenting on the trip cost are hoping you'll hunker down and say, "Well we're not going to loving overspend on this trip so there." Instead you raise the budget for the trip. Similarly, I am tempted to say, "Are you really able to spend only $100 in a whole month? Is this a realistic budget?" and my hope is that you will respond with "poo poo yes, it's realistic and I'm going to loving do it." like a badass.

At some point he has to accurately estimate what he will spend - it does no good written down on the budget if he then blows it. Certainly it's good to have discipline and stick to what you have written down, but both are skills worth cultivating.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

It's not about caring about your pets well-being vs not, it's about trading off between their well-being, and the well-being of you, your wife, and your child. It'd be an easy choice for me but I've never been a pet person.

It's not about your wife not working, it's about budgeting as if your rent is the higher rent, and your wife's paychecks don't exist(and you pretend you have to contribute to the HSA assuming you want to keep that). You ought to prove you can actually live like that, since that is what you will have to do in a few months if you move, and I'm not even accounting for the cost of the move, or the actual costs associated with the new baby at all. (there will be tons of these). It seems to me like you are in denial of the extent that your life is going to have to change once you have this baby, and you are struggling to budget now when it will be 10x harder when you gain a bunch of expenses and lose a bunch of income at the same time. Signing up for another 300-500 in expenses before know you can live with it is a symptom of that.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Sep 24, 2014

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Knyteguy posted:

OK so this has been thrown out there a couple times (budgeting like my wife isn't working). My wife will probably have 9 weeks off for the baby, and unless she changes her mind then she said she probably wants to live somewhere else rather than stay at home. I imagine she needs to give it more thought though.

Considering that, can you explain to me what the motivation is to budgeting without my wife's income? I understand the higher rent, but just not that part. If it's to ensure that if she changes her mind about going back to work, then so be it. If it's to ensure we can live on just my income if poo poo hits the fan, then so be it.

So the emergency fund will cover her lack of income those months, while you are paying higher rent? I mean, that may be okay, just want to be clear that that's the plan. I suspect she will want to take more time off, but obviously I can't speak for her and you know her and I don't. Who is taking care of the baby once that happens? You could budget for daycare or a nanny or whatever you plan is in that case instead. If you struggle to do that when it your rent is low, you won't be able to do it when your rent is much higher. (I hope your plan isn't work from home while taking care of the infant yourself because there's no way that will work.)

e: I remember something vague about a sister now, have you talked to her about watching the baby? Did I make this up?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Sep 24, 2014

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Make sure you talk to your sister and make the arrangement formal before you do anything. Also make sure you won't be completely hosed financially if she burns out and can't do it any more. You would basically be asking your sister to watch your child full time while you two work, I wouldn't be surprised if she were more reticent than you have guessed.

e: Paying your sister to watch your pets and having your wife watch your child seems more reasonable to me. It depends on her career goals and stuff but that's for you two to decide.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

slap me silly posted:

"Get rid of your family pets so you can have more money". I love me some BFC

I read it more as "you are sacrificing your future child's well-being by keeping them, and while it's a tradeoff that sucks to live through, the answer is still clear".

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

every second that we're not growing BASIL roadside barbecuing is a second wasted

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

lol you don't need to police the discussion topics here post-by-post, mr. bfc mod man, relax

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I agree, putting out feelers for a subletter is probably a good idea if your sister isn't interested.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Why do you keep saying your wife is going to go back to work and thus that will solve the problem? You still haven't guaranteed you have a place for the kid to go during that time. Your sister is going to be extremely busy with her own child. You really need to not take her watching your kid for free every day as a sure thing, *even* if you talk to her and she agrees to do it. I suspect you haven't gotten such an agreement, please do that at the bare minimum before you move. Even then, you need a contingency plan for if she backs out. I wish you best of luck whether or not you respond here, but leaving the accountability that this thread enforces behind certainly makes me uneasy for your sake.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

You don't need a great lawn though, just a tolerable one. I know nothing about lawn care so maybe I'm off base, but aerators and edgers sound like some hank hill poo poo to me. A manual mower is going to be a huge pain in the rear end in my opinion and I'd probably have skipped the edger and bought a mower with an engine if I really cared to mow.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

You may have grown up happy as can be but you also grew up as someone who got themselves miserably in debt, to the point where you readily have to make decisions about whether to compromise your financial goals and being close to your family, or have your wife stay home with your child, or play playstation games. I'm not trying to say your life sucks, it doesn't sound like it does, but wouldn't you want more than anything for your child to never have to make choices like that? Imparting the lesson on your child will make them happier and more free for a large portion of their life, and it will ring hollow if you don't live it yourself. Don't you want to retire at some point and not be a drain on your child's finances? They will certainly feel obligated to help you if you can't pay your own way.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Make sure it's term life insurance and not whole life insurance, beyond that I don't know much.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

He can probably get mid 70s at his current place. Knyteguy, Your best leverage will come if you have another offer in hand. There's a very specific way of telling a person that you want more money or you're leaving the company that won't hurt them. Something like "I really like it here working for you and I want to stay but the debt's piling up and I feel forced to do what's best for my family".

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

in_cahoots posted:

I mean seriously, who leaves a stable job when they have a baby due in a month's time?

Someone who saves and budgets for things far in advance so they can seize opportunities when they come instead of treading water to barely stay afloat.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Yeah I kind of forgot you were a programmer, silicon valley would definitely be the place to relocate to if you are going to. It means that the next time you are in a situation where you are unhappy at work you'll be surrounded by other firms where you can interview instead of somewhere in florida and either forced to move again or accept whatever happens to be there.

Have you gotten a raise lately? It's bonus season and it'd be pretty reasonable to ask your boss for a serious raise. Maybe saying you will need to start looking elsewhere because of all the baby related expenses are stressing you out with your current pay? The best way to go about it is going to depend on your relationship with your boss and his general temperament, I have to leave it as an exercise for the reader.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

DogsCantBudget posted:

Guys, you need to realize he is talking about a gain of roughly 1000 a month in salary...thats not insignificant. Moving away from family may be tough, but being poor is probably tougher? However I do agree, why are you not interviewing in Silicon Valley? I live in TX and get significant offers to move to Silicon Valley all the time. Are you hard to hire?

It could well be far more than 1000/month, kids straight out of school can get 120k+ in the bay area. That's not to say it'd be easy to hustle for a gig like that but it's certainly possible, and there are many gradients below that which would be huge quality of life improvements for him.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

Any kind of recommendation or suggestion that they should go to SV is really wrongheaded IMO. New grads out there who are pulling down megabucks typically come from from Ivy League (or other well respected) schools. Also that 120k (which isn't a lot of money in SV) is going to come at the cost of KG working insane hours at a startup. I would take 75k in another city well before I would take 120k in SV.

In no way is the difference in living expenses going to be more than whatever that 45k is post-tax. That's way more than my yearly rent and I live in Manhattan. I don't think it depends on working insane hours at a startup either - there's plenty of older folks with kids who make good money without working all night. He's never going to be a star employee but that doesn't really matter, and he's already working insane hours where he is. It's one thing if he'd be making 75k in kansas city or something but it's still a real loss, and almost anywhere else there'd be huge opportunity cost to changing jobs, unlike SV. To me this is a bigger perk than the money. It definitely does put a damper on his home ownership plans, though I find those to be a little misguided to begin with.

Pet rental fees are a good point and I have no idea there. *resists urge*

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Droo posted:

Of this incredibly hypothetical extra $45,000

~6000 to California (KG pays no income tax in NV right now remember)
~9500 extra federal income tax
~2600 extra social security tax
~650 extra medicare tax

So $18,750 or so will be eaten up just by extra income taxes.

Well 45k was for that guy, for knyteguy it could well be even higher. The tax rate before you get to 300k+ is more like 9% than 12%, so more like $4000 for that, so even with the 45k assumption it's still an almost an extra 30k in take-home pay per year. (I didn't do the math for federal, might be higher to compensate.) Even if he doubles his current rent he still stands to take home a lot more money. You're right that quality of life will depend on specifically where in the bay he ends up - SF proper is where I'd want to live but I wouldn't want to do it on 120k.

Droo posted:

I just read a study yesterday that equated the change in happiness you receive from ditching a 1 hour commute as the equivalent of a $40,000 raise.

This sounds like some junk science, especially if your lack of money is the primary source of stress in your life. Long commutes are certainly miserable but you can't just talk about them in a vacuum without considering the total opportunity cost of not keeping the job with the long commute.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jan 16, 2015

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Knyteguy posted:

Contract yes, so no benefits, probably higher taxes? State taxes too.

OK I'll see what the recruiter says about remote.

Is that billable hours only and can you reasonably assume you'll be able to do 40/week the whole time? Definitely stuff to keep in mind since there's plenty of tasks you have to do for work that won't end up directly billable to a client.

Droo posted:

I love that I specifically posted WHY the number is $6000 by pointing out that KG pays no state income tax now (so the $6000 number I posted is clearly on the whole $120k we are talking about) but you still couldn't figure it out.

Also, California has a highly progressive state income tax so 9% is nowhere near an accurate effective rate on 120k.

Yeah I was doing it for the other guy, not knyteguy, who doesn't make 75k but more like 60k and thus warrants different math. (If you were calculating the whole amount you actually underestimated by a fair bit.) California's 9.3% bracket ranges from like 50k to 300k so it's pretty much flat for most of the typical programmer salary range, including the entire range from 75k to 120k that I was comparing.

EDIT: I guess I was assuming married filing separately, which probably isn't what they'd do, forgive me.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jan 16, 2015

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Looks like I pulled a Knyteguy:

quote:

You owe the IRS $11,054

Not actually that bad since I'm getting a bunch back from the state but I have no idea why it's that bad. Presumably withholding not accounting for a bonus or something but I don't know.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

All I did was fill out the W-2 form as normal with correct information and somehow that ended up with 11k in underpayment for federal and 8k overpayment for state. I assume it had to be because there was an unexpected large bonus in August which earlier witholding did not account for, since bonuses are normally in the beginning of the year. I'm guessing they did not withhold sufficiently on that bonus and that's what did it but I don't know, and that still doesn't explain the state overpayment. I didn't have realized investment income except for a few dividends nor anything that shouldn't have been withheld by my payroll department(aka that one guy who does the paychecks.)

It's not a big deal or anything, just an unpleasant number to look at, though I don't normally keep that much in my checking account. It wasn't enough to have to pay a penalty or anything.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Feb 15, 2015

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Yeah I don't think it benefits anyone to pretend that willpower isn't a finite resource that should be spent thoughtfully - you don't have to take on everything all at once. Make sure the planner actually reduces your costs by more than $10, but I think it's fine.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I posted this in October...

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Why do you keep saying your wife is going to go back to work and thus that will solve the problem? You still haven't guaranteed you have a place for the kid to go during that time. Your sister is going to be extremely busy with her own child. You really need to not take her watching your kid for free every day as a sure thing, *even* if you talk to her and she agrees to do it. I suspect you haven't gotten such an agreement, please do that at the bare minimum before you move. Even then, you need a contingency plan for if she backs out. I wish you best of luck whether or not you respond here, but leaving the accountability that this thread enforces behind certainly makes me uneasy for your sake.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

e:nah

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Apr 21, 2015

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Why would you call that anything close to a final decision? What is the hurry? If it changes nothing but gives you more money, I guess go ahead and do it, but definitely don't stop interviewing elsewhere - there's no reason to have loyalty to this company, they certainly aren't loyal to you no matter what they say. I doubt you'll have much leverage though - that's going to come from someone not already paying your salary.

Keep looking for places nearby - I think you should stay near your family. Silicon valley isn't so far away though, so that's something to consider, you will almost certainly be better paid there than anywhere else.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

n8r posted:

Don't be a dick and waste a company's time/money for a job you have no intention of taking.

That's not being a dick at all, that's just how these things work. They are offering him interview experience on their own dime, and wouldn't hesitate to get something for nothing from him if they could. Don't turn down interviews unless the opportunity cost for you is too high.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Moving to SV is a lot more reasonable than moving to Dallas or Virginia with regards to family being close by. It's still not ideal but I'd leave it on the table.

• Locked thread