Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!

Knyteguy posted:

For big purchases in the future I want to give an earnest try to save monthly.

Knyteguy posted:

The cash envelope system didn't work for us because we wouldn't do it for more than a few days.
An earnest try? No, just do it. You seem to think that getting out of debt and making a budget is just effortless and that the cash envelope system just works effortlessly for some people but not for you. It doesn't. Those people have to learn to deal with it and it's really hard. Cash is not that hard to keep track of if you're taking it out of labeled envelopes for a very specific purpose.

Knyteguy posted:

Regular radio is free but it's just so terrible around here. It's at least 50% ads whenever we end up listening.
It's pretty much like this everywhere. People just deal with it. Just like people deal with commercials on TV.

Honestly, you seem to just want to make easy, effortless changes and don't seem all that concerned with all of your crazy spending purchases at all. You've justified just about all of them in the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!

Knyteguy posted:

I'm posting on my tablet right now so I don't want to see who said it, but whoever said we're going at this easy is incorrect. We know it will be hard, but we also have just about anything we could want right now. We traded in our unused Xbox 360 for $137 in Best Buy credit, so if one of us wants a new game or whatever we're set there.

Is this your example of the hard sacrifices your making?

With Christmas coming up and the fact you mentioned having nieces/nephews - could you use the Best Buy credit so that Christmas doesn't cost you guys anything?

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!

Knyteguy posted:

Maybe. They're all pretty much toddlers though. I don't know if there's much there for them.

Best Buy definitely has a selection of music, movies and tv programs that would be fine for toddlers. They also have things from leapfrog and discovery kids.

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!

Knyteguy posted:

Thanks all for the ideas on the gifts. We agreed to do something like homemade ornaments for the adults, and under $10 toys for the kids as well. We're going to be baking cookies with my grandma for gifts too. We're on track to spend less than $100 on Christmas now. The budget in my head before was $1,000. We might still use that Best Buy card too, or we might sell it. I got an estimate for $123.00 from a gift card buying site (value $137).

How in God's name were you planning on spending $1,000 on Christmas? It's you and your spouse ALREADY bought a $400 playstation for the two of you as your main Christmas gift and you're apparently not even counting that in the budget? Aside from that, you have 6 kids to buy presents for and maybe a couple of adults who can't expect pricey gifts because who still gets really expensive gifts for their brothers/sisters/parents at that age? Christmas is about the kids at some point, and kids who are not your own don't need ~$150 spent on them.

Looking at my own Christmas, I have my mom, dad, stepmom, two stepsisters, two nephews and my brother/sister in law -- even at $50 per person (I wouldn't spend that much on my nephew who's a baby), that's still only $450. Then I have two underprivileged kids I adopted -- another $100. And a suggested bill for tipping my apartment doormen for $175 (which I don't plan to give in full). STILL not $1000. Even if I gave in full, I'd still be at $725. I know significant others can get pricey gifts but you were planning on spending $1000 NOT COUNTING the Playstation? That is insane and a serious indication that you guys have problems with spending.

Edit::

Also did you really BUDGET $1,000 for Christmas. Or was that just what you were going to spend?

HooKars fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Nov 28, 2013

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!

Knyteguy posted:

We both enjoy the truck for outdoor activities on occasion, and I did quite a bit of custom stereo work in there.

These are the type of justifications that are annoying and make it seem like your rationalizing every bad purchase you make. Youve done it for every one. You can't do it all over again but you can fix your past mistakes or at least mitigate their damage by behavior in the present. You can still do plenty of outdoor activities in a non truck and the custom stereo is just one of those things where you eat your losses because you gain more as a whole.

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!

wintermuteCF posted:

Someone remind me: why are we ditching the TRUCK and not the CAR? IIRC, the car loan has twice the outstanding principal and 7% more interest rate?

I thought the idea was to sell the car AND truck and get one cheaper car, but that he was rethinking and justifying keeping the truck part now.

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!

Knyteguy posted:

We've been eating a lot of rice and beans and chicken, but we did eat out at some cheap restaurants twice. Last night was $15.07 at a restaurant that was unexpected, and we bought pizza once too (but we did pickup instead of delivery). We're going to make up for this by assigning less to our restaurant budget this cycle.

We also bought a financial book (Millionaire Next Door) that should have been allocated with spending cash but we ended up borrowing it from somewhere else. This was a bad move in retrospect, so we both agreed we need work on buying something -only- if we have it budgeted.

Other than that there have been no major purchases. We've probably done better in the last week with impulse purchases than we ever have. The freezer is getting a bunch of use, and my lunch consisted of some frozen rice and beans we had already prepared.

What happened where you guys had to resort to an unexpected restaurant outing?

I don't think there's anything wrong with reallocating your money from another category if that's what you want to do (especially since you don't have any spending cash this month - so really - what would your other option be?), so long as the money still actually exists in that category and its not overspending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!
Agreeing with the post above this. It kind of sounds like your wife is desperate to get out of her current job and is sort of grasping at anything that sounds good and profitable. But she needs to think about what she really wants to do. There's a pretty big difference between real estate and dental assistant and she seems to have flip flopped very quickly. Don't job into anything that involves a considerable expense while she's in any sort of desperate, manic state to get out of her job.

• Locked thread