Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crabby Abby
Apr 26, 2006

I'm the graph in the OP
I live in Reno and drive a Miata year round. I drove home from work yesterday in the snow with no problem. Unless you commute from incline village you don't need a high clearance vehicle or 4WD.

For the rare occassion that there's more than six inches of snow on the ground, I have the following options:
- Ask a coworker with an SUV to give me a ride to work (they've offered)
- Work from home
- Wait for the roads to be plowed or the snow to melt (it usually doesn't take long once the sun is out)
- Take a cab
- Take a bus + walk a mile
- If I needed to drive to SF or something in a snow storm, I could rent an SUV

I've thought about getting a second car or replacing my Miata with a Subaru, but I love not having a car payment. It is totally worth a little bit of extra effort on snowy days to be debt free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabby Abby
Apr 26, 2006

I'm the graph in the OP
I am certainly not recommending that you buy a RWD coupe as a winter beater. The point is that Reno winters are not sufficient justification to own a truck over something more economical. As others have pointed out, trucks aren't necessarily ideal winter vehicles either.

I've never sold a car either, but it can't be that hard. People do private party sales every day. List it on Craigslist with a couple good pictures see if anyone wants to buy it. Look online for tips about what to expect and how to avoid getting scammed. You won't sell it tomorrow, but the sooner you list it the faster you'll get out of debt.

• Locked thread