Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
April
Jul 3, 2006

canyoneer posted:

Just don't buy them anything. The kids probably won't notice or care. They won't be emotionally wounded because the Doc McStuffins toy doctor kit was bought for them by someone besides you.

If their parents notice/care, they are grown-ups and should understand the concept of "I've made poor financial decisions and really can not afford to buy presents for kids who do not belong to me"

For toddlers, you can get away with next to nothing. My older daughter (she is 16) is addicted to Pinterest, and she found the coolest gift ever for my younger daughter's 4th birthday. She took a bunch of balloons, put little gifts in them (a dollar, a toy ring, small candies, use your imagination), then blew them up and put them in a giant box. At the party, the little one opened the box, and we dumped it out and let all the kids pop the balloons & collect the gifts. You can't imagine how loud and hilarious and awesome the whole thing was. Even my 70 year old uncle was helping, when the littlest ones were too small to pop a balloon by sitting on it, he'd get it with his pocketknife where they couldn't see. It only cost about $20, and there were 5-6 kids who had a blast for a good 20 minutes, which is about 18 minutes longer than most kids take to open a gift and finish playing with it on Christmas morning.

Or make a giant batch of cookies to get them all sugared up.

The point is, you don't have to NOT get gifts, if you're willing to get creative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

April
Jul 3, 2006

OP, I thought this was a really good article on credit score:

http://affordanything.com/2013/12/16/will-getting-car-loan-improve-credit-score-heck/

April
Jul 3, 2006

Knyteguy posted:

OK not to be the Goon in the well or anything but I've decided I'm getting this for my PS3 console in August:
https://nflst.directv.com/DTVAPP/nflws/index.jsp

I'm going with the $239.00 package and I'll try to freelance the money August-September (which I've actually made a living on before). Really though my already established web business will passively pay for it by February or so. With 16-17 weeks of football and considering the gas to go to the sports bar, plus whatever my wife and I decide to get, this will be cheaper.

Next year I will plan for this better since I'm better educated. I won't be getting cable. I will still be getting on OTA antenna though. Sigma also helped me come up with a plan for anything we may want to watch that isn't on a broadcast station.

For everyone asking why I didn't plan for this sooner... it's because I haven't really been enough of a football fan to look into what it would cost beyond last year (which I streamed). This wasn't so much on a whim as it was ignorance of what it would take.

Doing a little math based on our YNAB previous expenses, if we stay on track like we have this month, we'll be able to save right around a whopping $3,500 dollars even after paying for the Sunday Ticket in August since we're paying our rent this month. That's MMM levels of savings at 60% and with a car payment even. September will probably be around 65% if we continue to stay on track (which I'm determined to do).

Couple things to note:
New net income for myself: $1,961 after raise (accrued twice monthly)
New net income for wife: $688 (accrued every 2 weeks)

My paycheck will be going up about $200.00 a check once my insurance stops being pulled on August 1.

Edit and since I'm being a conservative estimator my %saved figures don't take into account the paycheck increase after insurance drops from my paycheck.

I don't have time to read back through the thread right now, but I swear I keep seeing a lot of "We will be able to save..." and "we are going to save...." and so on, but how much have you actually saved? And when is the baby due?

I would hold off on buying fun stuff for yourself until you have hit some savings goals. For example, if you get the emergency fund up to three months worth of bills & expenses, then splurge. But it looks like you're heading down the zaurg path here of "I will totally straighten my poo poo out, right after I buy this one thing..."

April
Jul 3, 2006

Knyteguy posted:

Buying poo poo like what? I haven't bought anything since we found out my wife is pregnant. In fact I sold about half of my valuable things. Also god forbid I buy one thing for an important hobby of mine (I've now decided on the $130.00 package even) after we save $4500.00 in a month in a half even while moving. I genuinely appreciate the advice here and I consider every single point, but it's important to remember that incremental rewards are an important part of training good habits.

We'll continue to save at a rate of at least $2200.00 a month if my calculations are correct for the next 6.5 months (due date) leaving us with at least $18,000, plus we have our health savings account which should have a few grand if we continue our rate of contribution. And after we pay off the medical expenses from the birth up front then I'll be working at saving money twice as hard.

Also that's a little neurotic don't you think? There are plenty of people who are lower middle class with no money in the bank that do just fine and have happy healthy kids. Jeez. I'd say having any money saved is the exception not the rule so we are going to be way ahead of the curve. It's obvious which choice is the winning side, but come on you could pay for the pregnancy uninsured with cash if you needed to.

Is it bad with money that I recently looked into selling a kidney? :v: (seriously they can go for as much as $200,000 that's like half my retirement savings) If I sell my kid's kidney too we're at like $400,000. (I'm obviously just kidding).

So what's wrong with saying "After we have $5000 in the e-fund, I will reward myself with this $200 treat." What I am hearing from you is "Geez guys, I am just buying this one thing, I'm going to be saving up A LOT OF MONEY so get off my back already!"

What's wrong with setting stretch goals & rewards for yourself, as opposed to rewarding yourself for planning to reach your goals?

April
Jul 3, 2006

Knyteguy posted:

For anyone reading this thread and also maybe trying to learn from my mistakes I just found a cool site with great tips.

http://www.feedthepig.org/toolbox/tips

Here's one I'm reading now:

I signed up for their email as well:

edit: Welp just found a new line of podcasts to listen to from them: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/episode-5-ftp-compulsive-spending!/id220271991?i=16375476&mt=2

I've posted this in a few financial threads, but I don't know if anyone besides me does this. Anyway, my husband and I both work 40-50 hour weeks & have 2 kids, and I've learned that the slow cooker is a life saver. I can buy meat in large quantities when I find a sale, spend 2-3 hours on a weekend packaging & freezing it, then all I have to do is yank a bag out of the freezer & dump it in the slow cooker with a few tablespoons of water, and dinner is ready when we get home.

For example, at GFS, you can get a good deal on a GIANT pork roast - usually about 10 lbs. I cut it into 4 pieces, put each piece in a gallon-size ziploc, toss some sauce & veggies over it, and presto - 4 dinners already made & in the freezer. (This sauce is amazing on pork roast, by the way: http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2008/06/orange-chipotle-ribs-in-crockpot.html).

Buy a 10-lb roll of hamburger. Brown half of it with onions, drain, throw in a couple of ziplocs. You can yank out a bag of already browned meat, toss it in the slow cooker with manwich, spaghetti sauce, or taco seasoning - again, 10 minutes in the morning, dinner is made. Take the other half, mix with bread crumbs, eggs & spices, shape into 2-4 meat loaves (I don't know how much you eat or if you'll want leftovers), ziploc & freeze raw. Put a bowl upside-down in the slow cooker, or something else to keep it off the bottom, sit it in there, put a little ketchup or whatever your favorite topping is on it, and leave it on all day.

And we haven't even started on the beef roasts! This site has hundreds of slow cooker recipes, and a lot of them are fantastic:

http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2007/12/alphabetical-listing-of-recipes.html

It's very easy to put up 15-20 meals in an afternoon. And if you are smart, you can repurpose your leftovers. Make a plain beef roast today, tomorrow, shred it & make chili or fajitas or barbecue beef sandwiches.

Really, the hardest part is the planning. I try to look at what I've already got in the freezer, or what's on sale. I also, about once a year, buy half a cow from a friend of my dad's who has a farm - it's a lot of money to spend at once (about $750-800 depending on size), but we usually pull about 320 or so pounds of beef, already prepped & wrapped & frozen - steaks, ribs, burger, even soup bones. If you live in a rural area, and can have a large freezer dedicated to beef, it's the way to go.

I would seriously start doing the freezer-meal thing now. You have NO idea how glad you'll be when the baby gets here that you have a couple dozen already-made dinners in the freezer. Just make sure you remember to turn on the crock pot when you're so sleep-deprived you try to diaper the wrong end.

April
Jul 3, 2006

Aagar posted:

How do you get through all that beef before it gets freezer burn? I love buying meat on sale but at some point I have to stop due to freezer space and how much I think we'll be able to eat within 3 months.

Or maybe I'm missing something (vacuum seal)? We use Ziploc bags for the most part, and I'd say after about 3-4 months meat starts looking iffy. I found a whole chicken yesterday dated Aug 1, 2013 (to convince my wife that things weren't going to sit at the bottom of the freezer forever I took to dating the Ziploc bags) and it was in rough shape. That said this is the only piece of meat I can recall, since getting the freezer last year, that didn't get used within 3 months.

And Knyte - April isn't kidding. There will be times you are so tired you won't know which end of your kid is which. At about the 3 month mark we were using the motorized swings to help them sleep. I was so tired when I went to check on them I thought one of them was missing. Turned out his swing had stopped (it was on a timer) and because of that it somehow escaped my T-rex-like field of vision (I only noticed he wasn't in his crib). I freaked out until I realized he was in the swing and then I laughed like a loon. Sleep deprivation can do weird things to you.

I think I'll check out the feedthepig website as well - it never hurts to learn a few new tricks.

It's packaged ridiculously well. The way it works is, we pay the farmer guy (IIRC) $2/lb for the half-cow, and then we pay the butcher $0.50/lb to cut & package it. Each package is in a few layers of super-tight plastic wrap, then white paper & tape on the outside, and it's frozen solid when we pick it up. It generally keeps for about a year. We also share some, sending a few pounds of burger or a couple of roasts home with my mother-in-law or whoever happens to be hanging out here when we're cooking it. It's an awesome deal, because the burger is like the 93% lean stuff, and we get T-bone steaks, ribs, the works, and it's all a straight $2.50/lb. It helps to have a chest freezer that you can dedicate just to beef as well.

I have a food-sealing-bag contraption, I don't care much for it. The bags are pretty expensive, especially compared to ziplocs at Costco or somewhere similar, and sometimes the bag doesn't seal and instead sucks the liquid out. Probably just me. I also go through phases, where sometimes I'll stock up a bunch of meals, eat them for a few weeks, get bored, and go for frozen chicken strips or pizza or whatever. But I can't emphasize enough how awesome it is to open a bag, dump it in a slow cooker, and come home to a meal that's already made.

Here's another one - a couple of chicken breasts, a can of corn (drained), a can of black beans (rinsed thoroughly & drained) a jar or so of salsa, and a couple of tablespoons of taco seasoning. Toss it in the ziploc & freeze. Slow cook, shred the chicken, and it's the best tacos you've ever had in your life. Easy meals, few ingredients, and it's so much healthier than eating out.

Edited to add: Pulled pork is super-easy. My favorite way to do it is toss a pork roast in, cover it with root beer (trust me on this) with an onion cut up in it, let it get to where it's falling apart, drain the root beer, shred, dump your favorite barbecue sauce on it. If the root beer thing is too weird, just put it in water with a half-cup or so of fat-free italian dressing. The vinegar & seasonings in the dressing give it a really good flavor & tenderness. Same deal, cook till shredable, shred, sauce & chow down.

April fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jul 29, 2014

April
Jul 3, 2006

Knyteguy posted:

Thanks to both of you. We did most of our August shopping yesterday and we're going to pay ourselves back this Friday. We have about $130.00 to supplement groceries with the rest of the month.

We picked up 4lbs of hamburger, about 10 lbs of pork roast, a big thing of chicken breasts, and we have a prime rib, a pork shoulder, and two roaster chickens from previous shopping. We're going to try some of the ideas April posted (and also both pulled pork recipes since we have a shoulder).

I figure we bought enough stuff for about 20 cooked dinners and there will be leftovers from all of them. We also bought some quick frozen meals to help curb restaurants if we're feeling lazy ala that feedthepig.org website. Gonna get them ready tonight or tomorrow.

So we'll see what happens. Hopefully this will be a winning strategy for us that we can permanently implement into our routine.

Now we just need a microwave. It took 35 minutes to cook two small frozen mac n cheese things in the oven last night. I've been looking on CraigsList and we'll probably pick up one this weekend for $20-$40.

Good luck! Also, if you put something in the slow cooker that's frozen, or you do the meat loaf thing, or any situation where there isn't liquid on the bottom of the slow cooker the second you turn it on, put a few tablespoons of water in the bottom - just enough to cover it & keep the temperature even, or the crock part will crack. I forgot to mention that before, and it's kind of important.

April
Jul 3, 2006

SiGmA_X posted:

I was wondering why you said add a few tablespoons of water! Makes sense. I've never slow cooked something that didn't include some non-frozen liquid, but now I know!

I need to go through the 365 cookbook again and find some more things to make. We've recently made some delicious curry, and we've made lots of chili and various chicken&spices dishes. My gf just stopped eating meat last month tho, so that's been different. Once the curry was made, I chopped some oven baked chicken and simmered it together before serving/portioning. She also doesn't eat rice, so I made some rice on the stovetop and included that in the Pyrex portions.

Here's a really really good vegetarian one. I always just throw everything in the crockpot without measuring, but I think you'll get the idea:

Lentils - as much as you want
2-3 of the big (28 oz?) cans of petite diced tomatoes, with juice
1 bigass onion all chopped up
A couple of tablespoons of chopped garlic (I use the stuff in the jar - sue me, it's convenient)
About a pound or so of carrots, peeled & sliced (if you can find the "carrot chips" on sale, I use them sometimes too)
A bag of fresh spinach, rinsed
Toss it all in, cover it with enough water to almost reach the top (leave an inch or two, the veggies will sweat as they cook), and squirt it with sriracha till you like it. I always start with just a little bit, let it cook a couple of hours, taste, add more, etc. It's done when the lentils & carrots are soft, you might need to add a little more water. This stuff freezes awesomely, and has a lot of good-for-you stuff in it.

drat, now I want to make some.

April
Jul 3, 2006

SiGmA_X posted:

Sounds delicious. I sent it to my gf, we'll pick up things at the next shopping trip!

Slice some french bread, and toast it with garlic butter to have on the side.... HEAVEN.

April
Jul 3, 2006

Hey Knyteguy, how're the frozen meals coming? Find any good recipes?

April
Jul 3, 2006

a worthy uhh posted:

Wait until after the baby is born. You don't know that there won't be more expenses than you're accounting for, and it'd be a lot better to have savings to cover that instead of a slightly smaller debt load. You can live with your car getting repo'd, but what if the hospital repo'd your baby!?!?!?

This. This. THISTHISTHIS. You have NO idea how much babies cost until they arrive. None. Zero. Sure, you can plan for some things ("we'll buy a used crib for $50, done!") but you seriously don't know what you're getting into with a new baby until you're into it. Fun example - I had a fairly normal pregnancy, a daughter who was born with zero complications, spent one night in the hospital & was home with her the next day. Fast forward about 6 weeks, we find out she has pretty severe acid reflux, and has to use prescription formula to the tune of $300/month.

When babies are involved, you can really only control so much of it.

April
Jul 3, 2006

Knyteguy posted:

If anyone finds my posts incoherent then please speak up if you want clarification. I feel like my posts are long, but I usually address details to the t every single time someone asks about them.

I posted some graphs just a couple pages ago showing our progress over time:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3586966&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=26#post434482158

I don't have 9 months worth of data but that is pretty close.

We're taking it from lots of categories. Restaurants was one of them, rent since we were ahead, total saved, business expenses, etc. My wife and I planned the budget meticulously, and then I gave us a nice fat MISC column to cover anything that may go over (we accounted for chance like someone was just saying we don't).

Look I've been contemplating this stupid video game system for months. I contemplated it at work, at home, when I woke up in the morning. If I don't have time to play it when the baby is here, well I've had my PS3 for something like 6 years now so I'm sure the PS4 will last at least as long. I won't always have this thread to consult, and this is where we're going with it.

In November (and I already mentioned this) we're going to cut out discretionary back to like $300-$500 again. If my wife's work wasn't so loving stupid with stealing employee vacation time we would put the vacation off until November or December. We can't do that so our discretionary ballooned. I don't care if anyone believes it, but this is an increase that is a one time thing.

Does anyone have a list of Knyte's other "one-time" expenses?

Also, if you have to take a vacation in October, why not put the PS4 off till November? Why do two big-ticket unnecessary things in one month?

April
Jul 3, 2006

Knyteguy posted:

I've taken many self-sacrificing steps (not trying to sound pretentious or smug here), and you think that I should just end it here over $500? I'm not giving up unless like slap me forces me to because this thread legit helps.

I've been hugely flexible on methodology, goals, behavior, purchases, etc for the past 4 months. Just to reiterate again we're using a drat fan to dry our clothes. I'm still totally open to input as well. I like talking about finances too. It's why I post in more than just my thread. It's important to note I/my wife and I also need to make our own decisions and adjust as necessary.

If we hadn't moved (and [/i]absolutely no one suggested we cut our rent in the thread, but we still did it[/i]) that would still be less than what we would normally pay. As long as this isn't a repeated behavior it's fine jeez.

Again we're budgeting this money from more than just our savings. I know it's hard to see because you weren't there when my wife and I discussed it for around 2 hours, but it's true. There's also around $350.00 in excess in the budget that hopefully won't get spent, but I'm trying to prepare for the worst case scenario. This is probably where the "incoherent" comes in. There's so much to the financial decision making process that it's hard to relay all of the information to everyone.

Inc graphs. I'll make them when I get off work instead of today, since I just got paid.

Also:

quote:

I originally had budgeted $100 extra for the business category for a nice logo for a new website I'm making, but I cut that by $60 for the PS4. That will wait until November.

And oh yeah:

quote:

we don't have a nursery. I was being an unselfish fucker and decided we should move into an apartment too small to save a lot of money before the baby was born. We did that on our own, and it takes a lot to not be miserable with 2 dogs, 3 cats, and too much stuff in 800sq/ft. So if I'm selfish every now and then so be it.

So... you are putting off expanding your business, drying your clothes with a fan, and living in a crappy apartment that nobody told you to move into. Obviously, you should be able to buy a PS4 if you want to! You are happy to point out all the sacrifices that you are making. You are complaining loudly about the environment you live in, and justifying buying video games to make up for the misery of something YOU CHOSE.

It's not about the PS4, or how long you have wanted it, or how awesome it's going to be trying to play games with a crying baby hanging around. It's about how you set up these situations to justify doing whatever you want to do.

Nobody held a gun to your head and told you to buy vehicles that would be underwater for years to come. Nobody said "you should live in a shithole where you'll be miserable". Nobody said "make sure your pregnant wife doesn't waste money on luxuries like dry clothes." Nobody forced you to adopt too many pets for your living space.

So I'm sorry, but no, you don't get to play the "but I've sacrificed so much already!" card, when all you've done is make yourself miserable just so that you can come on here, and whine about how miserable you are, and how blowing money on something unnecessary is what's going to keep you sane. You don't see it as a cycle, but it is. And in a few months, you're going to be climbing the walls even more, and looking for something else to buy instead of actually IMPROVING your situation.

A PS4 will be fun for a little while, but you'll still be in a cramped space with too many pets, a crying baby, and no clothes dryer. You have goals of having X in savings, which is nice, but you need to figure out what your REAL goals are, and start figure out how to achieve them instead of just going "I want to buy something, ok, I'll buy it! WAAAHHHH I'm still not happy!"

So yeah, pat yourself on the back for being unselfish, I guess? And meanwhile, ask yourself, if you had spent an extra $400 in rent to have a space you enjoy being in, how much less would you be spending every month on toys to make yourself feel better.

April
Jul 3, 2006

Knyteguy posted:

I did qualify it with not trying to be pretentious or smug . I don't think it's fair to call my actions selfish either though, at least as a whole. I can't answer the second one, I don't know.

It's selfish, because you are saying "I am going to spend money on this expensive thing to make myself feel better" instead of saying "I am going to do X to improve the situation that's making me miserable."

For example, the clothes-drying with a fan. What are you going to do when the baby gets a stomach flu, and throws up over many, many pieces of clothing and bedding?

Instead of saying "I'm miserable, I need an electronic pacifier to make me feel better!" why not ask yourself WHY you are miserable, and how you can change the sources of your misery instead of just throwing money at more "stuff"? I should point out that you've also stated you have too much stuff already.

The pets are a whole other issue. I don't want this to get all PI, and I'm in agreement that when you adopt a pet, it should be for their lifetime, but it doesn't sound like a very good environment for any of you.

April
Jul 3, 2006

Knyteguy posted:

Good points again Veskit thanks. I'll be going over the past couple of days a few times again when I get home, and I'm going to try to draw up a plan.

OK. I'm kind of freaking out because I feel poor, and I want a PS4. Our house life is stressful because the place is (as April succinctly put it) a shithole, my commute is now way longer than I've pretty much ever had and that adds a lot to the stress.

Now you're starting to get closer to the real problem. Having a PS4 won't make your commute any shorter, or your apartment any larger. It might be a temporary stress relief, but believe me, when the new baby comes home, it's not going to help at all. You'll still have all of the other issues, plus, when you get home at the end of the day, your wife is going to be exhausted and overwhelmed and she's going to want you to take the baby for a couple of hours so she can have a meal and a shower, or maybe even a few hours' sleep. You probably won't get to play it at all when you are at your most stressed.

ETA:

quote:

I pretty much understand why I'm miserable/stressed out about some things (I'm happy on a whole). Unfortunately there's no good solution to a lovely place, at least without it costing us a lot of money. I'll try to stop bringing up the living situation.

Have you tried to find some compromise on the living space? You really don't see what is happening here - as long as you are unhappy, you're going to keep wasting money on dumb poo poo, and be even more stuck as far as living conditions.

So what would it take to fix the real issues?

April fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Sep 22, 2014

April
Jul 3, 2006

ExtrudeAlongCurve posted:

Replace "drastic downgrade" with the myriad of other things you've told the thread you've wanted and you might begin to see why people harp on you for those things you want. It's definitely a pattern that's hard to miss.

I mean, it's becoming clear that your home situation is causing you a lot of unnecessary stress and strain that's leading to a lot of "needs" and "wants" that could probably be rationalized away and avoided if you weren't under so much stress and strain. So, too late since you already moved and made the drastic downgrade decision. But maybe try and frame your stress-relief tactics (as other posters have pointed out) in the context of, "How does this help with my *real* problem which is that my home life has become really lovely?"

e;fb by April who is posting some loving pro advice here.

Knyteguy, what about, instead of saying "I want to have $X in savings by February" you start saying "I want a better home lined up by July" (or whenever your lease is up). I'm not going to touch the whole "don't really care about the baby yet, but dogs need more space" thing, but look at ALL the things that are making you unhappy - the drive, the tiny apartment, the lack of laundry facilities. And start looking at houses or whatever in the area you'd like to be, and figuring out how much it would take to get into one.

Don't kneejerk. Don't say "hey, SA said to move, let's go!" But really stop and think and plan for once, for something that will actually improve your life, instead of just letting you escape for a few hours, that you aren't going to get to use nearly as much as you think you will.

You have someone willing to give you what? $20,000 to put towards a house? And you'd rather sit in a hole in the wall that's overrun with pets and wet clothes and play a video game?

Jesus.

April
Jul 3, 2006

Knyteguy posted:

Erm well I care about the kid of course, that came off wrong. I just can't really think about how that will all work yet. It's too much for my mind to grasp, and I've just never had a lot of baby exposure at all.

I already know what it costs around here :). It's about $1,100-$1,300 a month for a rental in the area around my work, which is a great neighborhood within walking distance. I was trying to give my wife no commute by moving to the area we did but I think I'd rather her just stay at home, raise the kid, and pick up a skill that isn't working in retail. She's not happy at her job as it is, and my job is pretty secure.

So really here is what it would take, at least for now:
1) A house with a garage, an office/private place, a dog door, and a nursery. All of this would be great so my wife's extended family could come visit down here, making her more happy in the process.
2) My wife staying at home and rearing the baby/picking up a professional skill when/if she has time. Or her getting a job outside of retail with normal hours and normal days off.
3) My commute within walking/biking distance.
4) Working towards saving a house down payment, with a nice emergency fund
5) Getting rid of the car debt one way or another.

Slightly in order but not wholly so.

n8r/Giraffe/ExtrudeAlongCurve I will get back to you guys on your posts. Trying to make sure I give work enough attention today.

Also this later as well:
You have someone willing to give you what? $20,000 to put towards a house? And you'd rather sit in a hole in the wall that's overrun with pets and wet clothes and play a video game?

Very good. Look at that list again. I don't see a PS4 on there anywhere.

You are about to be in a HUGELY stressful, emotional, exhausting situation. Your wife is going to be hormonal and physically beaten up. If she is going to be home with the baby, it's going to be a huge adjustment for her. Don't be shocked when you come home from work and she hands you the baby and locks herself in the bedroom to cry and sleep for a few hours.

I think the whole problem you're having is that you look at money as the numbers on the spreadsheet, and not the potential it represents.

Let me give you an example. For years, my husband has done contract work at high-pressure places in the middle of downtown Pittsburgh. The commute was wretched, the hours were horrific, and the working conditions were batshit insane. During this time, we worked like hell to pay off over $100,000 in debt (student loans, credit cards, mortgage, 2 car payments).

Yes, our lives sucked for several years. We bought our house with 0% down at the end of 2006, and we all know what happened just over a year later. We learned a lot of lessons the hard way. The biggest, hardest one is that every thing we chose to buy before poo poo went south was one more option that we didn't have later.

This past April, he was offered a more stable, permanent position at a company he really fell in love with. However, it paid about 8k a year less than he had been making. Because we had way fewer bills, he was able to take that job without a second thought.

Now... you are talking about "just this once" upping your discretionary budget to $1000, so you can have a vacation and a game console. Or having $500/month to blow on toys.

What if you had that $500/month to rent a better place?

You see your savings go up, but it's an abstract number, and kind of a lovely one, because you can't enjoy it. What if that money was the down payment on your dream house?

April
Jul 3, 2006

Knyteguy posted:

OK still really want to get back to some people and points that have posted, but I won't have time to address everything until I get off of work.

This has me severely distracted though:
April, are you saying that we should consider breaking our lease early and moving (after careful planning)? Or are you instead advising we focus on what we can do to get there by July? That won't be a problem. I've gotta say I'd probably drop the PS4 crap in a heartbeat if it meant getting the gently caress out of this craphole. I don't look down on anyone who lives there, but it's just making me miserable. I need a drat place to take care of my hobbies/get some piece and quiet before I burst.

For example I've been putting off a project for about 6 months that could genuinely become a commercial project because I can't work on it without cats loving with stuff (electrical engineering/embedded programming stuff, so lots of loose parts). My wife would appreciate a place to go quietly paint and read too. I know I can speak for both of us when I say I'd absolutely love to get a nursery going as well.

I just gotta say holy gently caress I had no idea how much our living situation has been stressing me out. We've lived in pretty awful places the majority of our marriage. I mean we've lived with roommates for close to 3 out of 5 years of our marriage, and that was just absolutely awful. The townhouse was nice and big (maybe too big), but since we knew we were moving out at the end of the lease we just never made it home again after my sister moved out, and it was still bad for animals since there wasn't a yard. This loving place we're in now with an air conditioner that has broken twice (we didn't bother calling a third time), no in-house laundry, no yard, no space, lovely neighbors, no privacy (it goes on)... I can deal with it for now but I think I would break if it meant living here past July. I know my wife feels the same way.

Edit: Shoot saw your last post after posting this April. It seems like you advise maybe sitting in the place we're in for now. OK that sucks but again we'll deal with it for now.

Fellow goons, I think we're seeing a breakthrough here. Knyte, I actually did a little fist pump when I read this post.

I don't advise breaking the lease. DO NOT do the thing that you do when you say "hey, that sounds like a good idea!" and do it without any planning or real thought.

You need to do a few things first. Are you taking notes?

#1 Create a budget that DOES NOT CHANGE. It should include your current bills, some savings, some "fun" money. Live on that budget WITHOUT CHANGING IT for 3 months.

#2 Recreate that budget without your wife's income, and with a higher rent. Assume that your rent is $1200 or whatever, and that your wife is bringing home $0. (Any extra will obviously go into savings). Live on that and DO NOT CHANGE IT until your lease is up.

If you can do that then congratulations! You can go and move into the kind of place you WANT to be in, without going "oh poo poo we can't afford this" a few months after moving in. It's going to take a poo poo-ton of discipline, but you have got to keep your eyes on the prize. It took us several years but holy gently caress it's so goddamn worth it.

April
Jul 3, 2006

n8r posted:

Funding a child's education is a wonderful gift that fewer and fewer parents are able to afford. Low interest easily available loans are very easy for students to obtain for college. Low interest easily obtainable loans do not exist for your retirement. If you don't want to be a burden on your children and live in near poverty, you want to save for retirement first. College education saving should be pretty far down the list. Knyteguy is nowhere in any position to start doing that.

Exactly. It's OK for Knyte to figure out his own finances first.

ETA: I was skimming back through this thread and found this from Knyte on 6/11/2014:

quote:

Hell no dude (squalid hellhole). It's time to give 100% because it's not just the two of us anymore. I think we'll be able to mostly stay on track to getting a house which is half the point of moving into this semi-ghetto (but safe) apartment place. Ideally the kid has to live there for about 5 months until the lease is up, and then we have the car paid off and we're nearly ready for a 30% down payment on a $120,000 house.

ETA 2.0: Also, in the beginning of the thread, Knyte only had 1 dog & 3 cats. At what point did the 2nd dog move in? Why in the world would you consider that a good idea??

April fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Sep 23, 2014

April
Jul 3, 2006

Ok - there's a lot of budgeting/tweaking talk in here, but I want to go back to this:

quote:

Picked up a second dog around the time the thread died in Marchish. She's a hard hyper dog, but we love her. The intention was to provide a companion for our first dog. In that regard it was a successful venture.

Once again, Knyte saw a situation (single dog is lonesome) immediately decided on a course of action (need second dog) and ran to the first possible solution (grab available dog now now now) without thinking it through. Knyte, did you take the time to "meet" and hang out with multiple dogs before choosing the difficult one? Did you take into account extra costs for food, medical care, training, etc?

Your situation is NEVER going to improve until you stop saying "Ok, I will fix this RIGHT NOW" and start actively thinking and planning. You are 100% in reactionary mode right now. Every single thing that happens (breaking a button) is throwing you off and sending you running for a fix (I'll overspend JUST THIS ONCE) that is sabotaging you long-term. Note* I am not saying, don't buy clothes for work. I'm saying, what if you had the $300 you spent on the secured card on a whim? Would a broken button send you over budget in that case?

Also, stop and REALLY think about this. You were going to spend $600 on a PS4, knowing that you only had, what? Three pairs of pants to wear to a job I'm assuming you want to keep? Your priorities are frequently completely out of line with your goals. THIS IS A HUGE PROBLEM.

Now, back to budgeting/tweaking talk:

DFA & I have a system that works for us and covers most contingencies. In a nutshell, we have several savings accounts that we contribute to monthly, and they are: Car repairs, house repairs/items, Christmas, clothing, vacation/entertainment, car replacement, and emergency/unexpected expenses. THESE ARE ALL THINGS THAT WE KNOW WE NEED AND THAT WILL RECUR. They are also unrelated to day to day spending (groceries, gas, utilities) and not for long-term savings. They are specifically earmarked for those items.

We also have personal accounts, and every pay a chunk goes to our personal accounts. We take turns buying groceries out of our "allowance" and we also pay for our own gas out of it, as well as any other unnecessary items - eating out, toys, my lending club notes, and frequently our own clothing. drat kids keep outgrowing their stuff and sucking up all the clothing budget.

I like having the multiple accounts, so I know how much I have to spend on x, y, or z. Other people prefer having one account or category that everything goes into, and they just spend it as they need/want.

Personally, I think it might be good for Knyte to keep his budget broken down. He still hasn't figured out yet that Christmas comes periodically, and it might be good to plan for that, or that clothes don't last forever, or that cars need oil changes and new brakes every so often. Knyte, I think you're going in the right direction, but you need to go further. It's great to plan to spend the minimum on everything, and put everything into savings but it's also unsustainable if you have to spend your savings every month because you didn't remember that birthdays come every year.

I guess what I'm taking forever to say is: what is the purpose of your savings? DFA and I have both short-term (see above) savings, and long-term (Roth IRA, 401k, some CD's we can cash out in a crisis that we don't touch, some other stocks & mutual funds).

So - are your savings short-term (something you are planning to spend for a specific purpose in the next few months) or are they long-term (we are going to save up for a house down payment, a solid 10k emergency fund that we'll never touch, etc.)?

You need to find a balance between the two. Otherwise you're going to keep putting X into savings for one of your major goals then taking out Y because you didn't plan for the stuff that will happen every month or every few months, and getting frustrated and saying "this isn't working!" because you aren't saving as much as you thought you would at the beginning of the month.

April
Jul 3, 2006

Uncle Jam posted:

What I'm saying is there is a lot more than college. There are a lot of big expenses for kids entering adulthood, you should read LoveMeDead's thread which is a better demo of that than I could ever explain. Also, everything you're experiencing right now.

Ordinarily, I would agree, but we are talking about someone who is down to his last surviving pair of pants. I think that learning to budget effectively is far more important right now, not to mention, possibly something better than a college education to give to his children.

April
Jul 3, 2006

n8r posted:

I think this budget looks fine with a few conditions. Can you stick to this budget month after month? At least until the kid is born?

I think if you can stick to this budget you'll be setting yourself up for success. If you want something like a PS4 under-spend your discretionary budget for a few months until you've saved up enough to pay for it. I'd encourage you consider setting up a 'discretionary savings' line item (and probably even a real savings account). Treat it just like another savings account that comes out at the beginning of the month. Instead of having $450 budgeted for discretionary you toss $100 in your 'discretionary savings' and you only spend $350. After four months or whatever you've now got $400 built up to spend on fuckall if you feel like it. Oh, but if you bust your discretionary budget, you have to pull money from that discretionary savings first.

April:
You've got a lot of thoughts going on in that most recent post. I don't think it's really fair to toss out that many thoughts all at once without much given to the priorities that Knyte should be focusing on.

The last question I have on this is why is your wife only making $400 a month? If this was explained it was a long time ago. Why is it that she can't contribute more at least until she's very pregnant. Even if she just doubled her income every little bit would help.

Yeah, I wrote all that really early in the morning, and I was having a hard time being concise.

Basically - Knyte needs to figure out what he is going to NEED (clothing, car repairs, etc.) and plan for that, and keep it separate from "discretionary", which is just for other unnecessary expenses. The fact that he is planning to buy a PS4 when he and his wife need clothes and shoes is very, very bad.

It would be better to have some more line items, and a little less going to savings, than to keep going "oops, guess I went over again!" Also to clarify exactly what his goals are.

Finally, I think the majority of the wife's paycheck (like 70%?) is going to their HSA, so only $400 take-home.

April
Jul 3, 2006

Knyteguy posted:

I try not to make promises I may not be able to keep, but I'll say I'll do my best with this budget for the months going forward. I think we've learned some really great strategies and gotten some great insights, and we just need to remember to stay on track. Again I really think that having our discretionary as one big category will help. Plus my own words said it well "It's not just the two of us anymore, so we need to give it 100%."

I think having a bunch of stuff in discretionary will help us stick to budget, because then it's not just "fun money" it's actually something that needs to cover everything else.

The plan is to go even more austere in 3 months though, as we'll be budgeting without my wife's income, and with a higher rent expense. It will let us really evaluate what it would be like if my wife was a stay at home mom, and in a nicer place.

ExtrudeAlongCurve: Congrats to you too! We're going to find out the gender in... 3 hours. I felt the kid kick for the first time last night :3: gently caress.

Edit: clarification

The problem with one big discretionary fund is that you haven't shown yet that you can prioritize effectively. I can very easily see you saying "We'll put this much back for clothes, holidays, car repairs, pet meds, etc., and just lump it all into discretionary", and then in a couple of months saying "Ok, I have two pairs of pants that fit and a chunk in discretionary, time to buy the PS4!"

This is where the multiple savings accounts helps. I KNOW that the kids are going to need clothes, and if I didn't have it split out, I could've accidentally spent all the money for school clothes on fixing the shower this past summer.

What you really, really, really need to do is go back through the thread and look at all the times you went over budget, and why, and unless it's something idiotic (hundreds of dollars in restaurants), start planning to do it again. Only this time, you have some money set aside for that issue. I mean, if you work in any kind of professional environment, you need clothes that fit decently, aren't stained or torn, and enough of them that you aren't the guy wearing the same pair of pants 3x a week. Ditto on haircuts for both of you. You need reliable transportation. And so on.

It's far better to plan to get another pair of pants or a shirt every couple of paychecks, and accept it as necessary for a while, than to constantly beat yourself up over going over budget. And I understand you're going to try to do it on a reduced budget (I'm the one that suggested it!) but the hard truth of life is that just because you have less money doesn't mean your needs disappear. I mean, if you had started putting away just, say, $25-30/month for Christmas in January, how much nicer and less stressful would your holiday be?

I know it seems like so much more of a hassle. I maintain a total of about 20 savings accounts (capitalone360, holla!), but it makes my life SO MUCH BETTER when I'm able to say, hey, the little one wore holes in her shoes, or the big kid needs new glasses, or my brake pads are going bad, or the clothes washer died, but look! here's the cash for it!

April
Jul 3, 2006

Knyteguy posted:

OK well I'm going to spend a little time with my wife so we can think it over. I agree it's kind of been a recurring thing that we haven't been prepared for X expense, which I think is kind of a live and learn situation. However I feel like we've lived and learned enough.

I did try to do something like this in the initial budget I posted though. What was I missing with that and what you're saying?

Thanks for the input on the categories. Not sure what I'll do yet.

My wife has this cool problem where she doesn't actually want anything. Like hardly ever. As long as she has Netflix and some small hobby stuff or makeup or something every month she's good. Anytime she says she actually wants something it always takes priority. 95% of the things we buy are shared between us also. We're of course equal partners.

I needed clothes for today. My shorts broke at work.

Clothes were $150 included 2 pairs of shoes, 2 pairs of jeans, 2 shirts. All of it was on a good sale. I'm loving tired of buying cheap clothes and them tearing. The button popping crap is my fault but our clothes expenditure is higher than it should be this year because we always buy the cheapest poo poo. I rectified that situation.

The rest of the budget overage has been in my weekly spreadsheet posting, and it's bills and medical stuff.

I already said I'd pay for the clothes out of our discretionary next month, so there it will be right let's drop it. What's the point in focusing on what I had to buy, instead of focusing on how to prepare for the same situation next time? It's not that I think it's some small thing, it's that I already realize we screwed up. Not by buying the clothes no, or even the price of the clothes, but by forcing ourselves to dip into the savings because we didn't plan well enough.

See that's the problem. How many things have you already decided will come out of discretionary? Are you budgeting enough for all of them? How will you know "hey, we have enough fun money in discretionary to go out tonight" if discretionary is also covering necessities?

Also, yeah, split it with your wife. Maybe she just doesn't want things out loud, because she knows that you place a lot more importance on buying poo poo than she does.

April
Jul 3, 2006

Knyteguy posted:

I said it was a spending failure like two sentences later :colbert:

Not sure will reevalute after work and probably post a third budget draft.

Nice. Going down the park would be nice. I'd like to get into shape a little bit before the baby comes. Exercise is a great stress relief too.

Unfortunately most of the stuff we have is stuff we've always had problems with. It's family heirlooms/important gifts and childhood mementos from both of us. Not stuff that is easily gotten rid of, so no choice but to store it really. A garage would be handy here.

I don't like the idea of splitting discretionary because it's not blow money, it's money we need to mutually make decisions on like that pet trainer. I'll talk to her about her getting some personal spending money too though. I probably wouldn't mind a little myself.

Baby is a boy. :shobon: Healthy as can be according to the ultrasound.

Congratulations on the good baby news! At the end of the day, that's what is most important.

I guess my suggestion is, keep an account for "unexpected necessities" such as car repairs, clothing, medicine, etc. Give yourselves both $X in cash every pay or month or whatever for fun stuff like games or meals out (save up for your PS4 out of that). And maybe one more account for planned expenses, like Christmas, or next summer's vacation, or whatever. This way, when you want something you haven't planned & saved for, you can tell immediately if it's something you can do without touching your "real" savings - emergency fund, house down payment, etc.

April
Jul 3, 2006

Knyteguy posted:

Well, we forecasted what it would be like in a $1,500/mo rental with my wife not working, and $500 a month in baby expenses, and I just don't see that working. Anything out of the ordinary would cause us to go over budget, and I don't think we could save anything. Insurance is the killer here.

But it should be a 1:1 ratio in that 1 dollar of rent would cost about 1 dollar of savings. I think that's what you're asking?

Really though we'll be targeting a place around $1,100-$1,300 a month. I was just looking in the neighborhood that my work is in (unfortunately there's really not anywhere we could move where my wife could walk to work as well, that is also a house) and there are houses around this price.

Jesus tapdancing christ. I give up. You have not proven in any way that you are disciplined enough to stay on budget while your finances COULD be in the best possible shape (cheap apartment, wife is still working). The whole point of not breaking your lease and getting your poo poo sorted out before moving is so that you don't REALLY screw yourself over by moving into a place that you won't be able to afford in six months. But nope, Knyteguy sees something shiny RIGHT GODDAMN NOW!!!

You know what? Go ahead, buy the PS4. If you're going to act like a child, might as well have the toys.

April on page 29 posted:

Don't kneejerk. Don't say "hey, SA said to move, let's go!" But really stop and think and plan for once.

April
Jul 3, 2006

Knyteguy posted:

OK my wife is going to chip in today. She feels confused too and maybe a different perspective would help both you guys, and us.

I did/am running the moving by the thread. That's why I added in the line about if everyone said it was a bad idea, then the house deposit savings would go into the emergency fund.

:goonrush: may have been a bad Starcraft joke, but what I meant was if everyone thought it was a bad idea then that's where the money would go instead.

I'm trying to formulate a plan here, even if some people disagree with some points. I think Hawkgirl you even said to use this thread as a little bit of an echo chamber. Trying to do that.

I can stick with this "crash diet". We've done it before, I can do it again. That budget is realistic, and I can do that. My wife and I will need to revisit the budget some months from now, but I'm confident we can do it, even if I get an urge to buy something stupid because it's hard and stressful.

I let my wife decide on the vacation. She is the one who deleted the line on the budget post I made last night even. The trip just needs to be pushed off to when we're ready for it, which can still happen before her pregnancy, even if she won't have a week off to do it.

---

Look my wife and I were talking in the car on the morning commute this morning, and we came to a consensus on the things we need to work on financially, and the things that we're wasting energy working on, because we don't have a problem with them.

Financial struggle points:
1) Getting/planning to get big purchases like the PS4 without having the money for them. Solution: SAVE and roll over the discretionary. We've taken at least planning steps to get here. Pre-PS4 I didn't really know how to save for stuff like this. Methodology wise I mean.
2) Planning for unexpected, expected purchases like vet bills, clothes, and the like. Solution: Get some separate savings accounts setup and contribute X amount to them monthly. We've taken at least planning steps here.
3) Restaurants. Solution: Slow cook meals ahead at home. This will probably always be a little bit of a struggle for us, until we can break the habit.
4) Budgeting not reconciling. Solution: Plan a line item, plan why that line carries the dollar amount that it does, and plan purchases around the line item, not the other way around. I get why I shouldn't put $700 in a line item, even if we spent that on eating out one month sometime or whatever. We are figuring out what are expenses are and budgeting around that, instead of budgeting first and then planning our expenses around that. Did I get that right?
5) Rash decisions. Solutions: Plan ahead, thoroughly.

That's pretty much the gist of our financial situation, and the problems that we have with it. Planning 3.5 months ahead is not a rash decision (see below)

On the house situation: look we've been changing our minds on not just this one thing, but loving everything financially every day, multiple times a day. That has to stop. It's making it impossible for me to focus on what we need to do today. Here's what our plan is: We save up $2,500 for a house deposit, with the plan to move by January. Guess what we're a little fickle and January is a long way away. We may very well decide that gently caress it we can stay in this place and save more money, let's rollover that $2,500 into debt, or into our house downpayment savings, or finish up our emergency fund, or even ya know what let's just loving commit and go rent a house.

April I obviously respect your opinion here because I've taken steps to implement a lot of what you've said. You said something that I thought was important. That our savings goals weren't very good, because it was kind of abstract (paraphrasing). We're kind of just saving to save, especially in the case of the emergency fund. This is us saving for something that has some meaning and improving our situation. We don't -have- to commit to getting out of this apartment, but having an out if we wanted to sure would be empowering.

What I'm saying is, is there is a lot of time between January and now. There is absolutely no harm in saving $2,500.00 even if it has a label maybe a few people don't like. I think it's pretty much a universal consensus that that statement is true.

With that said, if everyone still thinks saving for a rental deposit is a terrible idea, then well it's probably a good idea to listen to the consensus.

You really, truly, seriously, don't understand why renting a more expensive place before you can stick to a budget in a cheap place is a bad idea, do you?

In simple terms, you need to try living as though you already have the more expensive house, and no income from your wife, for several months, WITHOUT OVERSPENDING, and then decide if you can afford it. You can't even do that now.

It doesn't matter how much you plan to save, want to save, or how you are going to split the savings - you have yet to show that you can commit to a plan, and make it work. Part of that is lousy planning (for example, planning to never replace clothing again), part of it is that you just don't have any discipline or concept of delayed gratification. Jumping to the more expensive house without even trying to live on the reduced budget just proves my point.

Nobody is saying "don't save for a deposit". We are saying "you CAN NOT DO this, even with a deposit, because you have yet to stick to a budget under best-case circumstances."

And this whole "I'm confident I can do it" thing is a bad joke at this point.

April
Jul 3, 2006

Aagar posted:

So, this is how I'm seeing it break down (if you move to a new place):

Under this plan, plus or minus, you have no room for error, and no savings for anything long term. This is the trade off - a better living situation for a long-term future of being one late paycheck away from financial hardship.

What you choose to do is up to you - this isn't "who wants to be a millionaire?" where you poll the audience on every decision and pick the answer with the most votes. You need to formulate a plan based around the financial decisions you want to make short and long term. In my above calculation, if I were you, I'd be scared shitless, because there is no room for error, and no hope of getting out of debt or making significant savings towards anything you say you want (house, etc.).

I'm 100% with April - if you are committed to moving, after a lot of thought and making a solid plan, you have to prove you can do it now over the next three months. Then we can all be in a better spot to comment on your financial health and the feasibility of the plan.

If it were me, however, the animals would be gone and I'd make it work where you are now. There are many things working against you that you don't appreciate:

1. Moving with an 8-month pregnant wife is a nightmare waiting to happen (as has been pointed out),
2. A baby is a full-time job for the first 4-5 months, and trying to care for 5 pets on top of it will drive your wife off the edge,
3. The expense of the pets is on the order of 3-5% of your overall income - even at $150/mo (wasn't it $300 one month?), that's $1,800/year you could use towards a lot of your long-term goals.

Anyway, these are my opinions. We all have opinions, and while they differ in execution we are all trying to lead you to a better financial future. How (and if) you get there is up to you.

Remember, this is the internet - the penultimate of instant gratification and abundance of information. You don't have to revise your budget 4 times a night as a knee-jerk response to comments. I think what really pisses April (and others) off is that this is discipline. This is sacrifice. This is the motherfucking long haul. Revisionist budgeting and thousands of ideas are polar opposed to what we all know you need to be doing to get straight.

In this journey of 1,000 steps, the first step is to take a break, take a couple of days, really think about your budget, REALLY think about whether you want to move in January, and come up with a plan based on what you want. We all thought at the outset it was to get an emergency fund, have enough for the baby when it arrives, and get out of debt. If those are the top priorities, I'd seriously consider keeping the lower rent, sacrificing (like your pets), and slog it out until you are certain you can move up safely without falling back down the cliff face.

This. Live on that budget for at least 3 months, without going over, and then you can say that yes, you can afford the better place.

April
Jul 3, 2006

Knyteguy posted:

All good points. Pets was $300 one month as we needed to get the new one spayed (which a vet savings/pet savings should have covered). The pets thing isn't about sacrificing my well-being, it's about sacrificing their well-being that I care about. I know they're just dumb animals or whatever, but they're our responsibility. It would really help her out while she's taking care of the baby (working or not) if we could just put them out back, and then they could just run around the yard or whatever. Plus I could clean up their poop without having to haul it through the living room. Even in a bag it's terrible.

One of the reasons we made such a drastic move towards breaking the lease last night is because my wife was thinking about just how difficult the pets will be once the baby is here. It's not just my input here everyone, like I said my wife has a big part in this. I genuinely hope she'll post today confirming some of that, and more importantly giving her outlook as well. I don't want to drop into this decision and pack our bags right now.

I did the same math last night as you posted. Your outlook also doesn't include the fact that my wife's job covers our insurance. I don't think we can get away with her not working at this point. That's loving ludicrous to me. I know I can get a business (or charity) off the ground. It doesn't have to be -right this minute- though.

"Remember, this is the internet - the penultimate of instant gratification and abundance of information. You don't have to revise your budget 4 times a night as a knee-jerk response to comments. I think what really pisses April (and others) off is that this is discipline. This is sacrifice. This is the motherfucking long haul. Revisionist budgeting and thousands of ideas are polar opposed to what we all know you need to be doing to get straight."

This. This is what I have grown to the point of exhaustion on.

I still think we can go ahead with this budget we posted though. The first month will be rough, but every month after that we'll have some extra discretionary saved up if things get a little hairy, or if we want to buy something or whatever we'll have the means without busting the budget. What's everyone think about that outlook?

I think that you are now using the pets as an excuse to move sooner, and that you'll keep coming up with reasons. Instead of saying "it would make our lives and budget much easier if we had fewer pets", you are saying "we need to add stress and money to keep the pets."

Again - you do these things to yourself, then get upset, and want to spend money you don't have to fix the problem.

Also, when have you ever had extra discretionary?

April
Jul 3, 2006

Knyteguy posted:

Cicero: pets are generally only $150 a month. That includes 3 bags of food (which they actually only need about ~2.33/mo), cat food, litter, toys, treats, the works. I grew up in just such a heavy pet family that it's nuts to me to even consider getting rid of one.[\quote]

$150/month sounds like a lot of money for pets to me.

[quote]To answer the question about discretionary: well I haven't. I thought if we had any extra discretionary at the end of a month then we lost it. I didn't understand it was a category that could be rolled over... until heck maybe a couple days ago. I guarantee some people probably mentioned it before, but it's hard to remember everything with so much information coming at me.

I think you're rewriting history here. I can't remember a single instance when you said "hey, it's the end of the month, we need to spend this extra money so we don't lose it". Instead, without exception, it's been "oopsie, we overspent again!" well before the end of the month.

April
Jul 3, 2006

Knyteguy posted:

OK so this has been thrown out there a couple times (budgeting like my wife isn't working). My wife will probably have 9 weeks off for the baby, and unless she changes her mind then she said she probably wants to live somewhere else rather than stay at home. I imagine she needs to give it more thought though.

Considering that, can you explain to me what the motivation is to budgeting without my wife's income? I understand the higher rent, but just not that part. If it's to ensure that if she changes her mind about going back to work, then so be it. If it's to ensure we can live on just my income if poo poo hits the fan, then so be it.

Probably because you yourself said about 4 pages ago that the plan is for her to stay home and take care of the baby?

If she's planning on going back to work, have you looked into childcare expenses in your area?

April
Jul 3, 2006

Knyteguy posted:

Erm well I care about the kid of course, that came off wrong. I just can't really think about how that will all work yet. It's too much for my mind to grasp, and I've just never had a lot of baby exposure at all.

I already know what it costs around here :). It's about $1,100-$1,300 a month for a rental in the area around my work, which is a great neighborhood within walking distance. I was trying to give my wife no commute by moving to the area we did but I think I'd rather her just stay at home, raise the kid, and pick up a skill that isn't working in retail. She's not happy at her job as it is, and my job is pretty secure.

So really here is what it would take, at least for now:
1) A house with a garage, an office/private place, a dog door, and a nursery. All of this would be great so my wife's extended family could come visit down here, making her more happy in the process.
2) My wife staying at home and rearing the baby/picking up a professional skill when/if she has time. Or her getting a job outside of retail with normal hours and normal days off.
3) My commute within walking/biking distance.
4) Working towards saving a house down payment, with a nice emergency fund
5) Getting rid of the car debt one way or another.

Slightly in order but not wholly so.

n8r/Giraffe/ExtrudeAlongCurve I will get back to you guys on your posts. Trying to make sure I give work enough attention today.

Also this later as well:

Found it.

April
Jul 3, 2006

Knyteguy posted:

Yes. If we went with my sister though we'd probably be looking at about $500.00. Would have to talk with her first though.

Edit: This has the extra benefit of my mom taking her dogs for a long rear end run every single morning, also improving the QoL for our dogs (I couldn't tell her she couldn't take our dogs with her if I was paid to do it).

Course on the top part. That would be seriously scary to jump into without making sure the arrangements are really set.

Well my sister wants to run a daycare. She has been a nanny by trade for about 9 years. I can't really think of anyone better to watch our son (edit except for my wife ofc). Plus my mother and grandmother could take over 1-2 days a week, so really she'd only been on the hook less than half a week.

Yep don't get me wrong I take full responsibility for any confusion here. I'm going to have a serious discussion with my wife after work tonight, because she needs to figure out what she wants. If she wants to stay home with the baby then we probably need to stay in our apartment. If not then there's still variables left in the air.

Sorry about this everyone. It's hard for you to help me out with uncertain parameters.

There's no way she's going to be able to decide now how she's going to feel once the baby comes. It's grossly unfair to expect her to. What we are saying (and have been saying since day 1) is make your plans based on the worst case scenario, income-wise.

April
Jul 3, 2006

Knyteguy posted:

Yes, good point. There's also the vet bills that we're going to start saving for which adds another $50 to it all. Plus the degradation of supplies like cat boxes. They last awhile, but not forever.

Edit: I just spoke with my wife about what we've been talking about regarding staying home with the baby. I ultimately will leave that decision to her, irrespective of what makes me happy.

This completely contradicts this:

quote:

I'm OK with this if my wife wants to stay home and rear the baby.

It sounds like you don't know what you want either, but are willing to put it on her if you're miserable.

April
Jul 3, 2006

Knyteguy just now posted:

Oh. I see why you were saying I'm willing to put it on her if I'm miserable. "Happy" that was a poor choice of word that I posted, and you quoted. I think... "irrespective of what I prefer", would have been a better choice of words. Like I said even in a lovely place I'm overall happy. We're not talking about living in a tin shack here.

Knyteguy JUST TWO DAYS AGO posted:

I just gotta say holy gently caress I had no idea how much our living situation has been stressing me out. We've lived in pretty awful places the majority of our marriage. I mean we've lived with roommates for close to 3 out of 5 years of our marriage, and that was just absolutely awful. The townhouse was nice and big (maybe too big), but since we knew we were moving out at the end of the lease we just never made it home again after my sister moved out, and it was still bad for animals since there wasn't a yard. This loving place we're in now with an air conditioner that has broken twice (we didn't bother calling a third time), no in-house laundry, no yard, no space, lovely neighbors, no privacy (it goes on)... I can deal with it for now but I think I would break if it meant living here past July. I know my wife feels the same way.

Seriously, you are all over the map with what you want and need, and what your goals and plans are. Part of that might be from getting conflicting info here, but I think a large part of it is just you. You keep jumping from one shiny object to the next with no idea of what it is that would genuinely make you content.

April
Jul 3, 2006

Knyteguy posted:

OK, so here's what I think we're going to brew on for the next few days:

4) The baby. Babe: I feel like you need to continue to give this more thought. 1.5 months after the baby is born is not the best time to do this. We need to come up with a plan here. We should have had a plan in place before you became pregnant, but you're already half way there..

This is wrong. There's no way to know how EITHER of you will feel until the baby is here. You should not put pressure on your pregnant wife to make this decision right now. What you should be doing is putting together a budget that doesn't include her income, and living on it, so that you are prepared for it if that's what she decides.

April
Jul 3, 2006

Also, have you guys looked at ACA health coverage with just one income, and a baby? It will be cheaper than it is with just the two of you and two incomes.

April
Jul 3, 2006

Knyteguy posted:

Uh my wife wants to stay at home with the baby, and I've been trying to help her do that while keeping us out of this shithole apartment. You act like I'm the only one that makes decisions in the household. You're framing it like my wife is literally incapable of helping the household to make good decisions, or to even play a part in the decision making process. And she and I just said in this very thread we're open to rehoming the cats. ~*Chiiiiiill out*~.

Will get back to everyone else asap. Working late again.

It's just Knyte being Knyte, only this time, instead of a purchase, it's a major life decision that has to happen RIGHT GODDAMN NOW.

April
Jul 3, 2006

imabanana posted:

People get super emotional about their pets. It's understandable.

That said, you really need to stop and think about how most everyone in the thread is saying the exact things with regards to your animals. It's not because people enjoy being mean to you.

You do realize that the house you are looking at for $1kish is almost certainly not going to rent to you with five animals, correct? I'm frankly amazed you got an apartment.

Give the cats to the humane society. Give away the younger dog. Place ads on Craigslist. Post on FB that you are trying to give away the animals. This isn't an insurmountable problem that nobody has ever faced before.

Give the remaining dog an appropriate amount of attention and exercise and he will not need a helper dog.

Then go rent that house. And not in January, now. Don't wait to move until it's time for the baby, do it now. ASAP. If you're only out a deposit then it's a no brainer.

The point of moving into a new house isn't to have more room for animals (that was an alarming thing to read) - it's to make more money. Its to make more money because you can work on businesses without your cats running around, it's to have motivation to make more money because your expenses just went up.

I said long ago when you were talking about Sunday Ticket that you could have anything you wanted, so long as you hustled and made the money to pay for it apart from your regular income. You need to get into that mentality.

The savings from getting rid of the animals nearly would pay the difference between a $1k house and your horrible apartment.

You do realize that the only part of what you wrote that Knyte will read and follow is "rent that house now".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

April
Jul 3, 2006

Knyteguy posted:

Wife and I are currently sitting on knocking down the discretionary a little bit, will address that after we've given it more thought. 4 days left to finalize the budget so no big hurry.

I'm definitely interested in getting rid of some clutter, and I'm going to read those websites linked. Many of the things in the room is stuff that may ever only be useful as clutter, even if there are many items of sentimental value.

Just a couple things I'd like some input on if anyone has any:
1) Should we sell our bikes? They're really nice bikes (wife's is a Giant, mine is a Specialized), and we just put some work/money into replacing the tires, brake pads, tubes, grips, chain lube, etc. They don't get use much unfortunately, at least not at the moment. If we move I'll pretty much 100% be using mine to commute, however.
2) Freezer we bought last winter (featured in this thread) went out due to the summer heat. Have to toss that, unless anyone has a better idea? Would this be worth a donation? It outlived its usefulness for us anyway since we no longer have a roommate who needs freezer space too (so not worth a repair).
3) Got a spare TV. We may want a second tv in our house sometime, and it's a nice 3D plasma 51" 1080p. Thoughts on whether to sell or keep for later?

The bikes at least make it difficult to organize the clutter room, due to awkward shaping. They're too nice to leave outside to rust.

Would be really cool to be able to turn the second bedroom into either a nursery, or an office/quiet room. Pet free of course. I'm willing to try harder to make what we have work.

Side note is for the last day (or two?) our master bedroom smells like something... damp and I'm a little worried about mold. The place is spotless in every nook since there's not a lot to it, so it's not coming from a thing. It smells kind of like wet paint? Anyone have experience with such a thing? I can ask in another forum if it might fit better there. I'm going to pick up a mold tester kit tonight, and if it's positive for anything dangerous all bets are off. Again I'm positive it isn't due to our housekeeping, or the animals, or anything like that.

Knyte: Hey thread, I want to say screw budgeting and rent a bigger place.
Thread: No, Knyte, you need to learn to make a budget and stick to it before you take on more than you can handle.
Knyte: Oh no, thread, there's a funny smell in a small apartment with 2 people and 5 animals. EJECT!! EJECT!! EJECT!!!

• Locked thread