Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

soap.
Jul 15, 2007

Her?

Call Me Charlie posted:

If money's no object, you may want to look into the Fujitsu STYLISTIC Q584 Tablet PC. It's around the same price as the Surface Pro 2 but it's also semi-rugged (so waterproof/dustproof) (although that also means it uses a weaker processor so it doesn't need active cooling)

I think we may go with this, especially given that he can get a GPS module in it. Thanks for the input, both you and Duckman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diggie
Apr 6, 2008
I've read through most of this thread and I need a recommendation.

I'm trying to get back into school (probably online classes) and I need a new computer. I have an older desktop at home, and an old lovely netbook that I bought the first time I was in college. I'd like to have the tablet form factor when I'm using the device for netflix/YouTube/reading, but I also need the keyboard for school work when I want to go to a coffee shop to study or work on a paper and don't want to be cooped up in the house.

I'm not concerned with gaming on this device, nor am I worried about apps. My price range is about $500. Should I go with a Transformer T100? I'd also like something that doesn't have a bunch of poo poo uninstallable bloatware.

Edit: I should mention that I'm not completely opposed to a laptop. I've been overall unhappy with my laptops in the past. They just don't have the battery life I'd like, and they seem to slow down significantly after a few months of use.

Diggie fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jan 22, 2014

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

A Transformer T100 is just a Windows 8 netbook you can take the keyboard off of. Granted, the new Baytrail Atoms are supposed to be immensely better on battery and power than previous versions, but any issues you have with netbooks and laptops, you're going to have with it, as well.

Diggie
Apr 6, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

A Transformer T100 is just a Windows 8 netbook you can take the keyboard off of. Granted, the new Baytrail Atoms are supposed to be immensely better on battery and power than previous versions, but any issues you have with netbooks and laptops, you're going to have with it, as well.

I could get past all of the problems I have with my laptop if the screen was better, the battery lasted longer than an hour, and it was more powerful.

Serious question, am I wanting too much?

Are there any places with spectacular return policies? Like if I use the device for a couple weeks and its not what I need, they'll take it back?

Diggie fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jan 22, 2014

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

You really want a laptop.

Too bad 500 dollar laptops are also universally poo poo.

Diggie
Apr 6, 2008

polpotpi posted:

You really want a laptop.

Too bad 500 dollar laptops are also universally poo poo.

Bah... You're probably right. $500 is the absolute ceiling. Guess I'll start looking in the refurbished market.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Diggie posted:

I could get past all of the problems I have with my laptop if the screen was better, the battery lasted longer than an hour, and it was more powerful.

Serious question, am I wanting too much?

Are there any places with spectacular return policies? Like if I use the device for a couple weeks and its not what I need, they'll take it back?

I was going to suggest the Dell Venue 11 Pro but the T100 would probably be your best bet. The screen isn't the greatest but it comes with the keyboard dock and it should be way more powerful than your last netbook. My main machine only has a AMD e-350 in it and the new Atom is suppose to be twice as good as that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLqeLpbG2zQ

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jan 22, 2014

Diggie
Apr 6, 2008

Call Me Charlie posted:

I was going to suggest the Dell Venue 11 Pro but the T100 would probably be your best bet. The screen isn't the greatest but it comes with the keyboard dock and it should be way more powerful than your last netbook. My main machine only has a AMD e-350 in it and the new Atom is suppose to be twice as good as that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLqeLpbG2zQ

I just spent a while looking at the Venue. I think I'm gonna save a bit more and get one of those, unless the new hotness comes out. Thanks for the help, folks.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Diggie posted:

I just spent a while looking at the Venue. I think I'm gonna save a bit more and get one of those, unless the new hotness comes out. Thanks for the help, folks.

If $500 is your limit, you can get a 64 GB Venue 11 from Microsoft's store for that price. (and I think they have a 30 day return policy)

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Dell-Venue-11-Pro-Tablet/productID.289455100

It has a normal USB port so you can use a standard keyboard until you get the money for the dock.

Irradiated Haggis
Dec 20, 2010
I've been asked by a friend to recommend her a tablet for nursing school later this year. She's not in any rush to buy something now, so anything that's on the horizon is fair game. She does a ridiculous amount of reformatting the teachers flashcards/powerpoint slides into page after page of beautiful notes which my lazy rear end can't begin to do - so we're basically talking laptop first, then part-time tablet.

Unlike me she'd like something with a 10 inch or larger screen, and some provision for a keyboard. Word (or something roughly as good) is a must for note taking. She'd like something reasonably light weight, and balked when I mentioned the prices on things like the Yoga 2 or Microsoft Surface 2. She already owns a Razr HD (2012) on Verizon, in case that somehow matters. She knows and likes android, but isn't impressed by the productivity options I showed her on my Nexus tablet.

Currently I've suggested the Asus T100 to her, or the Venue 11 Pro, but with the keyboard dock she's not too sure about the Dell. Is there another option, or something that I've missed? I'd like to be right, but I'd like to give good advice even more!

Irradiated Haggis fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jan 26, 2014

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH
If she needs a laptop first then she probably needs to get a laptop. Maybe the Yoga 11S? The T100 is pretty ok but she should get a mouse with it because the trackpad is loving terrible

Irradiated Haggis
Dec 20, 2010

waffle posted:

If she needs a laptop first then she probably needs to get a laptop. Maybe the Yoga 11S? The T100 is pretty ok but she should get a mouse with it because the trackpad is loving terrible

You're preaching to the choir as far as telling her to get a laptop, but she insists that it be a tablet. She'd probably be okay with using a mouse, but I'm kind of leery of having her rush off to buy an Asus, given my recent experience with their repair center.

Wasn't the 11S with Haswell? They were supposed to be releasing a version with an Atom in it at some point - the moment I mentioned things above $500 I got shot down. Apparently 5-600 is the upper limit.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Irradiated Haggis posted:

You're preaching to the choir as far as telling her to get a laptop, but she insists that it be a tablet.

You need to tell her she can't have her cake and eat it too. Buying into a category is nice, but She should get a laptop.

Irradiated Haggis
Dec 20, 2010

Duckman2008 posted:

You need to tell her she can't have her cake and eat it too. Buying into a category is nice, but She should get a laptop.

I guess you're right. I'll do that. Perhaps a nice laptop with a touch-screen would fill her need for a 'tablet'? We'll see.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
Well I accidentally broke my 2012 N7 to where it won't charge so I'm looking for a replacement. I read in the Android tablet thread that the 2013 N7 has battery life issues so are there any affordable alternatives out there? I'm actually kinda interested in getting an 8" tablet like the ASUS Memopad 8 or the Samsung Galaxy Tab 3. But I'm also tempted to be a cheap bastard and get a Memopad 7 for $150.

Edit: Nevermind, I just discovered that I must have broken the USB port on the AC Adapter, not the USB port on the tablet because it won't charge with the AC Adapter but it still charges over a regular USB port via the charge cable.:doh:

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jan 26, 2014

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
So if I'm looking for a simple tablet to watch movies and browse the web on vacation, is the nexus 7 a good bet? I basically just want long battery life, decent storage for videos. I'm trying to buy a tablet so I won't have to carry my laptop every time I travel

(Alternatively I'd been considering the Kindle Fire HDX)

maskenfreiheit fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jan 26, 2014

Irradiated Haggis
Dec 20, 2010

GregNorc posted:

So if I'm looking for a simple tablet to watch movies and browse the web on vacation, is the nexus 7 a good bet? I basically just want long battery life, decent storage for videos. I'm trying to buy a tablet so I won't have to carry my laptop every time I travel

As someone who wanted exactly what you're describing and bought a Nexus 10 a year ago - the movies and web browsing, the Nexus 7 is fantastic for. The battery life has kind of been a concern (so I'm told), but otherwise it's incredible value for the money. One thing I'd caution you on is the 'this can replace my laptop' idea. I thought that - and I was completely wrong. Android is great, and it's fantastic at a lot of things, but for me the lack of a desktop grade browser proved a deal breaker; I ended up toting my laptop around with me regardless.

TL:DR: For casual use the Nexus 7 is great, but don't expect it to replace your laptop.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

As someone who wanted exactly what you're describing and bought a Nexus 10 a year ago - the movies and web browsing, the Nexus 7 is fantastic for. The battery life has kind of been a concern (so I'm told), but otherwise it's incredible value for the money. One thing I'd caution you on is the 'this can replace my laptop' idea. I thought that - and I was completely wrong. Android is great, and it's fantastic at a lot of things, but for me the lack of a desktop grade browser proved a deal breaker; I ended up toting my laptop around with me regardless.

TL:DR: For casual use the Nexus 7 is great, but don't expect it to replace your laptop.

I'm thinking just for vacation. At most, I'd be looking at Facebook and Twitter, checking into flights. I wouldn't expect to replace it day to day.

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH
For what it's worth, I've never heard of the 2013 N7 having battery issues (though granted I haven't really been reading the Android tablet thread--this is more personal experience and having read reviews of it).

Irradiated Haggis
Dec 20, 2010

GregNorc posted:

I'm thinking just for vacation. At most, I'd be looking at Facebook and Twitter, checking into flights. I wouldn't expect to replace it day to day.

Yeah, you'll be alright then. Just be aware that for internet browsing you'll probably need a couple different browsers (Dolphin is my favorite), because everything seems to be optimized for desktop/iPad. Also there's no Flash or Silverlight support outside of dedicated apps. But if Facebook and Twitter is what you need, a Nexus will do just fine.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

waffle posted:

For what it's worth, I've never heard of the 2013 N7 having battery issues (though granted I haven't really been reading the Android tablet thread--this is more personal experience and having read reviews of it).

Seconding that my Nexus 7 hasn't had any noticeable battery issues. I've actually noticed better standby time since 4.4, something android was pretty obviously worse at than iOS, so I guess mileage will vary.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

I'm currently looking for a tablet to use for school, primarily for pdfs, docs, and online access of class materials (Blackboard and some class webpages). I've been using my Kindle Fire which so far was working nice enough, but with the 7" screen it's a lot of being tap happy with going through some of the pdfs I've got for class readings/discussion and with how huge some of them are, no way I'm going the print hardcopy route for when I have to bring them to class. I wouldn't be using it for notes or most apps beyond maybe some school specific software like Zotero.

I've been looking around at what's available on Amazon, and I'd like something bigger like a 10" screen and not be spending too much, ideally I'd like to keep it under $500, but if I have no choice, so be it. I'm not looking at anything iPad just because for what I'll be using it for, I can't justify spending Apple prices, and while I do have a laptop for when I travel, it's too clunky to be dragging around classes. When I've been looking around and going over customer reviews, I've mostly just felt overwhelmed.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Good high-res 10" tablets are all around the same price ($500), so there's really not an Apple tax here.

Irradiated Haggis
Dec 20, 2010

M_Sinistrari posted:

I'm currently looking for a tablet to use for school, primarily for pdfs, docs, and online access of class materials (Blackboard and some class webpages). I've been using my Kindle Fire which so far was working nice enough, but with the 7" screen it's a lot of being tap happy with going through some of the pdfs I've got for class readings/discussion and with how huge some of them are, no way I'm going the print hardcopy route for when I have to bring them to class. I wouldn't be using it for notes or most apps beyond maybe some school specific software like Zotero.

I've been looking around at what's available on Amazon, and I'd like something bigger like a 10" screen and not be spending too much, ideally I'd like to keep it under $500, but if I have no choice, so be it. I'm not looking at anything iPad just because for what I'll be using it for, I can't justify spending Apple prices, and while I do have a laptop for when I travel, it's too clunky to be dragging around classes. When I've been looking around and going over customer reviews, I've mostly just felt overwhelmed.

Right now the original Surface Pro can be had from Best Buy or Microsoft for $499 with 128 GB memory. You definitely WON'T get the same kind of battery life you're getting with the Kindle (only 4-5 hours, 6 if you throttle the CPU), but it's a full ultrabook grade device that is also a tablet.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

So for ~300$ or so are there any decent 10" tablets worth looking at? Something that I can stream HDMI out with?

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Right now the original Surface Pro can be had from Best Buy or Microsoft for $499 with 128 GB memory. You definitely WON'T get the same kind of battery life you're getting with the Kindle (only 4-5 hours, 6 if you throttle the CPU), but it's a full ultrabook grade device that is also a tablet.

I'm not putting large memory as a high priority since I'm fine with rotating around what pdfs and docs I'll use as needed. I have had a few friends and family recommend the Samsung Galaxy tablets, but from what reviews I've been reading, seem to either be excellent or completely brick up within a week.

Irradiated Haggis
Dec 20, 2010

M_Sinistrari posted:

I'm not putting large memory as a high priority since I'm fine with rotating around what pdfs and docs I'll use as needed. I have had a few friends and family recommend the Samsung Galaxy tablets, but from what reviews I've been reading, seem to either be excellent or completely brick up within a week.

I can't comment on the quality of Samsung's Galaxy line, or the experience that other people had with a Nexus 10, but I owned one for about a year, and while the screen and speakers were excellent, everything else about my experience was god awful - especially the build quality and endless charging issues.

For what it's worth to you, Surface will let you annotate PDFs and all other kinds of crazy stuff. Aside from that, well, Asus makes the Nexus 7, but it's really somewhat small for reading PDFs. Have you considered the LG G Pad? It's the only Android device I can think of that we haven't listed yet. Or just buy an iPad?

Bohemian Cowabunga
Mar 24, 2008

I am looking for a tablet and have the following wishes:
- A display size of 10'
- Good storage space (preferably with a SD card slot)
- Bluetooth and Wifi

It will be used for watching movies (Netflix), browsing the internet and reading.

I have had my eye on a Asus MemoPad FHD 10 which seems to fit all my needs and it seems like a decent quality for the price and have gotten some very decent reviews.
The Google Nexus 10 was also something I considered, but the lack of a SD card slot kinda kills it for me.

Are there any other similar products in the $200-300 I should have a look at?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Bohemian Cowabunga posted:

I am looking for a tablet and have the following wishes:
- A display size of 10'
- Good storage space (preferably with a SD card slot)
- Bluetooth and Wifi

It will be used for watching movies (Netflix), browsing the internet and reading.

I have had my eye on a Asus MemoPad FHD 10 which seems to fit all my needs and it seems like a decent quality for the price and have gotten some very decent reviews.
The Google Nexus 10 was also something I considered, but the lack of a SD card slot kinda kills it for me.

Are there any other similar products in the $200-300 I should have a look at?

For that price, screen size and features you will be a bit limited. Asus tablets aren't extremely popular on SA because they tend to get poor software support (future upgrades) but for that price range it may be your best option.

Bohemian Cowabunga
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I am completely aware that its not gonna be a top of the line tablet, I am also not that worried about future updates because of my limited feature demands.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

I'm happy with Asus Memo 10. I found it on Groupon for under $200 shipped. I mostly watch Netflix, read stuff and play some dumb games so I didn't need it to do much, mostly do the same stuff as my S3 but bigger. I'm happy with the screen resolution. It's a little better than my old 10" netbook so I knew what to expect and I can read pdfs just fine. It's pretty much what I expected it to be from the research I did.

Irradiated Haggis
Dec 20, 2010
So I had a Nexus 10 for about a year, but found it's charging rate and other build quality issues to be a deal-breaker. For the last 2 weeks I've played around with Surface Pro and a Dell Venue 8 Pro, and while I like the build quality, and the x86 compatibility, I'm still finding it an adjustment from Android.

I'm eyeing the Nexus 7 32GB as an option, having found that I really do prefer that smaller form-factor for vertical viewing. Is now a good time to buy that, what with rumors of a Nexus 8 coming out later this year? Is there something else people suggest instead? I'm mainly looking for light media consumption, some minor picture and document editing with a bluetooth keyboard, just something I can take on overnight trips or to school instead of my 13.3 inch laptop and not be totally cut off from document editing/the internet. Price range is 2-300 dollars, maybe a little more, but you'd really have to convince me.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Any reason why I shouldn't get an Xperia tablet?

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH

Hammer Floyd posted:

Any reason why I shouldn't get an Xperia tablet?
Cost but if you're fine with the price they're probably the best non-nexus tablets out there

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice
I'm looking for a tablet predominately for work/reference. Mostly, I'll be using it to browse e-textbooks (via Kindle app and Inkling) and online references with some general online browsing, etc. as a secondary benefit. I use a desktop or laptop to generate documents, though I could see myself the tablet occasionally with a bluetooth keyboard if it's the only device at hand.

I'm a PC/Android guy; I like my Google ecosystem and have been using Android-powered phones since the original Droid. I have never been a fan of Apple products, but I realize that this is largely because my life went C64->DOS->Windows->Win+Android. I hate the Kindle ecosystem after using my wife's Kindle Fire, which seems better suited for streaming TV/movies than for my purposes.

I went to Best Buy today to get a feel for a few options, figuring the Nexus 7 would be the right choice for me, but it just felt a little too small. The iPad mini seemed more the right size. I don't need the Retina display for my purposes, so compared to the equivalent Nexus 7, I'd be paying $100 for a bigger screen but an unfamiliar interface.

Are there any solid Android choices in the size/price range of the mini or am I buying my first Apple product?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
A high res screen is completely awesome for that reading and referencing you listed as your primary use.

The non-retina Mini is basically a smaller ipad2, and general consensus is that it's a little dated.

If you decide iOS isn't super scary, go retina.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Derek Dominoe posted:

I'm looking for a tablet predominately for work/reference. Mostly, I'll be using it to browse e-textbooks (via Kindle app and Inkling) and online references with some general online browsing, etc. as a secondary benefit. I use a desktop or laptop to generate documents, though I could see myself the tablet occasionally with a bluetooth keyboard if it's the only device at hand.

I'm a PC/Android guy; I like my Google ecosystem and have been using Android-powered phones since the original Droid. I have never been a fan of Apple products, but I realize that this is largely because my life went C64->DOS->Windows->Win+Android. I hate the Kindle ecosystem after using my wife's Kindle Fire, which seems better suited for streaming TV/movies than for my purposes.

I went to Best Buy today to get a feel for a few options, figuring the Nexus 7 would be the right choice for me, but it just felt a little too small. The iPad mini seemed more the right size. I don't need the Retina display for my purposes, so compared to the equivalent Nexus 7, I'd be paying $100 for a bigger screen but an unfamiliar interface.

Are there any solid Android choices in the size/price range of the mini or am I buying my first Apple product?

The iPad mini is a great buy, but def only get the retina. It isn't just the better screen, the mini retina is just so much better for its price point power wise.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

If you want to pay $100 more for a bigger screen Samsung have got you covered.

Or try the LG G pad GPE.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
If you're going to get a small tablet you should get the retina iPad mini. It's really the best one available. If you want to save some bucks I guess get the 2013 Nexus 7, but don't buy anything else unless you need to have a pen digitizer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

waffle posted:

Cost but if you're fine with the price they're probably the best non-nexus tablets out there

Is this the best option for a 10 inch android tablet for someone who's getting sick of waiting for a Nexus 10 refresh?