Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I'm thinking about buying a tablet. My main wants:

-Large screen
-MicroSD or 32/64GB (microSD seems to be cheaper for memory)
-Something I can watch movies/tv shows on

I don't really care too much for apps or games, I'd probably just use the browser and watch videos. The main use is something to take to the gym while doing cardio if I'm honest. Will any of them be better for my uses than others? Generally I want the best bang for buck and I don't need something that is super powerful. Will I run into any problems watching common video file types? (.avi, .mkv, etc.)

Is it possible to get something decent for $2-300? I've searched around a little and everything seems quite expensive, and I'm a cheap rear end.

Thanks goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Thanks for the replies so far. Any reason the Galaxy Tab 3 10.1 would be bad? If I got the smaller one (16gb, $300) and throw in a massive sized microSD that would probably work. Why couldn't they just make a black one though? That white or gold/brown doesn't do much for me. :gonk:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

WugLyfe posted:

Well, "bad" is a bit relative, but that particular model has low screen performance (think, "not even close to retina"), and the specs are far short of what you'd get with a Nexus 10 for the same ballpark price. Also TouchWiz isn't everyone's cup of tea.

Do you already have a large microSD card? Are you particularly worried about cloud storage?

Seems you're right from what reviews I've read. Micro sd cards are cheap and I've got a couple 32gb cards, yes. I don't know much about "the cloud" since I've never used it. I'll read up to try and undumb myself.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Larrymer posted:

I'm thinking about buying a tablet. My main wants:

-Large screen
-MicroSD or 32/64GB (microSD seems to be cheaper for memory)
-Something I can watch movies/tv shows on

I don't really care too much for apps or games, I'd probably just use the browser and watch videos. The main use is something to take to the gym while doing cardio if I'm honest. Will any of them be better for my uses than others? Generally I want the best bang for buck and I don't need something that is super powerful. Will I run into any problems watching common video file types? (.avi, .mkv, etc.)

Is it possible to get something decent for $2-300? I've searched around a little and everything seems quite expensive, and I'm a cheap rear end.

Thanks goons.

So I did some quick review readings and bought a ASUS MeMO Pad FHD 10 (saw the thread in coupons and deals for it for $258 on amazon for the 32gb version). Hopefully this doesn't turn out to be a terrible decision but it seems to check all the boxes that I was looking for.