Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
Windows 8 tablets are great for businesses that run Windows and need to provide point-of-sale tablets. They are much easier to manage through GPO and AD credentials than anything running iOS or Android.

I'd still never buy one for home use. I get sad enough seeing iOS apps that never get ported to Android but I'm glad of the pickings that I do get. I'd rather not be tied to Microsoft for everything.

But to each their own. If a Windows 8 tablet is what you have and it suits your needs, more power to you. Just don't expect anyone else to be enthusiastic about dropping a huge stack of cash on something that basically marries them to Microsoft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
The latest version of Documents to Go Pro is pretty nice. It features integration with Google Drive, Dropbox, and SkyDrive letting you edit documents live (as opposed to download, edit, upload like it used to be). You can directly edit Microsoft Formats with no converting including Office XML.
It came with my phone or I'd probably stick to Google Docs for most things and just use document viewers on my tablet and phone for Microsoft Office docs.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
Firefox mobile can use the AdBlock add-in. I use it on my Android phone and Xoom tablet. It seems to eat up more memory than Chrome, but I still prefer it.
You can also use Synch to share your bookmarks.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
Is there any logical reason for the new Nexus tablet to be 4:3 instead of 16:9?

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

RVProfootballer posted:

16:9 makes portrait basically impossible, but I assume you mean 16:10 like most other Android tablets. 4:3 is better for most things. The good news is if you can't stand 4:3, there are lots of other Android tablets to choose from.

After the last comment, I realized I was thinking of the 16:10 size and not 16:9.
My tablet 16:10 and I use it in landscape mode 99% of the time.
What's interesting is that my wife has the same tablet and uses it almost exclusively in portrait mode.
I always assumed wide-screen was the way of the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Endless Mike posted:

I don't think much of anything on the market in a tablet form-factor takes a full-sized SD card at this point.

My old rear end Motorola Xoom doesn't even take take a full SD card.