Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Looking for a recommendation for an android tablet that I can use around the apartment to play some dumb poo poo from google play store, stream videos from my NAS using both plex as well as just being able to navigate to my server over the home network for stuff like motorsports that I don't really want on my plex hosting (so I guess windows explorer or similar functionality). Would probably also want to use it for remote desktop into my server and general web browsing I guess.

I'll never use the cameras but I suppose I'd use the speakers. For reference, I've never had an issue with the speakers on iPads (the only tablet I've ever touched) and would be more than happy with just the sound level/quality of my samsung s9+.

I don't plan on storing any media on the tablet itself and don't need a large drive or even really expansion slots for micro SD or anything.

Thanks! Budget is probably somewhere less than 3-400 CAD but I really don't know anything about this stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

My Ipad must have gotten the vaccine, because it #DiedSuddenly. I guess I'll buy a new tablet, except maybe not from Apple, as I'm getting tired of their bullshit. My main annoyance was that I have a Linux PC and I had no easy way of transferring songs, photos and E-books between the devices, just let me plug in a USB and let me drag and drop files, goddamit. Aside from that, I just use it to browse the SA app, watch youtube, and watch my Plex server. I'll probably want to make use of some drawing/note taking software with a pen. Stretch goal is have one that lets you change the battery yourself, but I doubt anyone actually makes that.

Hello, nerd here with a PC server, android phone, PC main computer, windows laptop... and iPad. The iPad is the best tablet and it's not close. You should probably just get the new iPad. Yeah it's more annoying to move files but media files can be played off a server location and text files can be hosted on the cloud.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Artelier posted:

Not sure if this is the best thread, but if I want to do some digital drawing, what are the good options? Asking here because obviously I'm considering an iPad (Air, I guess?), but not sure if there are any Android equivalents that's good for cheaper, or maybe even like a Wacom device with a pen and a screen?

For reference, I am not really an artist; I can doodle/draw well enough to get my ideas across, the type that just doodles in notebooks. But recently I've been doing a lot of tabletop RPG-ing and I've been slowly making assorted logos and portraits and sketches for the setting, and every time I do that, I borrow my friend's iPad Air; she's fine with that, but I figure since I am doing this so much, I might as well get my own device if it makes sense budget wise. And it'll let me draw/doodle for other things that I can easily transfer digitally too in the future

Any iPad which supports the apple pencil, adobe procreate is the app you want, and a lot of people like using a screen protector which has a texture that replicates paper when you use the stylus.

Do not go android, apple tablets are far and away the best and every tutorial you'll find is for Adobe procreate on iPad.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

repiv posted:

procreate isn't an adobe product, you can tell because it's good

Oh my god that's wild, sorry I'm dumb. I somehow didn't notice.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Activate posted:

Hi everyone. I’m looking for something I can use for consuming media (mostly streams and ebooks), general internet browsing, and writing documents on. No gaming or other utilities necessary, and if it accepts SIM cards that’s even better. My specific questions would be,

1. Should I be looking at a tablet or a laptop?
2. Have tablets with their own keyboard become better quality since this thread was made?

And if you have a specific recommendation I would be very thankful.

People (not goons let's be real) complete entire degrees using their tablets and Bluetooth keyboards these days. I would look at the standard iPad and you have a lot of options for keyboard cases or a normal case with any Bluetooth keyboard I expect would work. If you have an apple product already this is even easier of a decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Just get the normal basic iPad. I wouldn't want to watch videos on anything smaller tbh.