Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

New thread title?

I would unironically agree. Who’s the current mod of IYG is the question lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ihmemies posted:

I know. Well the photos and videos would be taken with a camera, copied to pc, edited, then they could be copied from the pc to the tablet, for example. Photos are stored on the pc, with external offline backups to hdd’s.

My father says no to cloud so that’s how it is. He’s 74 and I don’t like to argue. So there’s no need to have them right away at the tablet.

Yeah, if he wants to go through the effort of that long process, more power to him.

The cloud is super useful obviously, most any one on here uses it, but honestly not wanting to have your info stored by a large company like Apple is a valid concern. It sucks because if that’s your concern, said large companies won’t make it easy for you. But if you’re willing to do it , cool.

All that said , yeah iPad 9th gen 256GB would be a great option.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Voice of Labor posted:

looking for a kindle or something else with a screen that is designed for and good for reading pdfs on. must be easily rootable or hackable or whatever it's called nowadays so that I can load up my own pdfs on it. needs to be cheap, preferably readily available on the used market

Kindles aren’t going to have screens great for PDFs except for text. You would want like, a cheap iPad. Or android tab but IMO all android tabs suck.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Voice of Labor posted:

great for text is the exact reason I'm looking for a kindle, e-ink or whatever they called the screen. I need a thing I can stuff in my pocket and read books on. my geriatric ipad would do the job, but it's a little too big to stuff in a pocket and I deeply dislike needing to run itunes to transfer stuff to it

Endless Mike has a point on e readers with e ink showing graphs black and white, but I donno, I would break it down to:

-books and/or all text: sure go e reader
-if not, tablet.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Please match my tablet hardware and software to this use case:

Takes pictures and videos with a built-in camera.

Allows viewing of pictures and videos.

Pictures and videos can be transferred (I guess. Not really that important)

I basically want a camera for my kid, but a large viewing screen is more important than camera quality.

I don't think there's any of-the-shelf tablet that is this barebones. If it doesn't have network capabilities, all the better, but I doubt any such product exists unless I want to make my own Raspberry Pi device with a custom OS configuration.

Could I buy a bargain-basement Android tablet and turn off everything except a camera and photo app?

Is there one with a relatively decent camera (8MP stills and 1080 video) and screen (~300ppi) that's ruggedized or compatible with a decent case? Any recommendations?

Get a used iPhone or iPad , like a SE 2020 or a 11 or 12 or N iPad 8 or 9th gen. You can lock iPhone and ipad poo poo down to just pictures and videos with parental controls.

As a bonus, depending on how you set it up you can probably track it when on WiFi with find my iPhone too.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201304

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201084#:~:text=Enter%20the%20child's%20name%20and,or%20their%20Game%20Center%20nickname.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Yeah I guess Guided Access has all the lockdown capabilities that I want, and the camera is more than enough. I was thinking about going lower-end due to potential for rough handling but if it has an otterbox or something that would probably protect it enough. Thanks.

This would honestly be a good option for less money. As long as it has a tiny sensor with fast shutter response and no need to wait on focus.

Def do the stand alone cameras if that is better, but fyi for the future: with Apple devices you literally just go into settings, turn off both WiFi and cellular data, and then lock the ability to change settings in parental controls. Safari / YouTube / Internet stuff doesn’t work too well if you turn off cell data and all WiFi. You can also erase the apps entirely and just disable the App Store to re download them. Phone becomes a call / text / camera phone (if paying for service) or just a camera if not paying for call service.

If ever getting cell service, make sure to turn off iMessage because it just won’t work without internet.

Just general fyi, most people don’t know how in depth you can lock down an iPhone and assume that a smartphone means it must have access to internet / web browser.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

spookygonk posted:

Got a hospital stay coming up so thinking of either an iPad mini 5 (refurb) or maybe the Amazon Fire Max 11 for roughly the same price.
The Fire Max is bigger just wonder if it's any good.

Def get an iPad.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

neogeo0823 posted:

Yeah, like I said, the drawing thing was a "All else being equal, this would be neat to have". It's not required in any way for this thing. As far as budget, ~$250 give or take is ideal. She's pretty good with the A9+ that was already recommended, so unless we can find it cheaper somewhere, we're gonna get it from Best Buy in the next couple of days.

Honestly, if it were up to me, I'd've gotten her a laptop instead of a tablet. But she wants the portability of a tablet instead of the ease of use of a physical keyboard, so... :shrug:

If she is using it for business she should absolutely get an iPad. It’s going to be way more versatile than any android tablet, especially an android tablet in the $250 range. For a business use it’s worth getting what works.

You seem set on what you want though. I’m sure it’ll like, probably work, but I wouldn’t expect it to be fast or reliable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Samsung is moving away from SD Cards, although I guess we’ll see with their tabs. That said, android still has issues with partitioning storage with SD Cards, so there are reasons not to have them.