Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

My sister wants the kids to stop hogging the iPad for their games and movies or whatever. Is there anything remotely worth investing in at the cheap end of the scale, like maybe Lenovo's stuff? Storage space, OS and so on doesn't really matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Bung Harmer posted:

If they are hogging an iPad, why not get an iPad? Pick up a used or refurb Mini.

I've tried my best to find used ones, but here (Denmark) they're still in the $300 range even for the iPad 1. Some of the cheaper tablets are about half that brand new.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

I've talked it over some more with my brother-in-law, apparently a ~10" screen is pretty important and money is quite tight this year. He found a used Fujitsu Stylistic Q550 for just over $100, but I'm having him hold off until further notice, since it basically looks like an old netbook without a keyboard. I've tried to find a Nexus 10, but I can't even find one new, much less used.

My niece uses the iPad mostly for Netflix, apparently, the games are secondary.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

I've passed on the Fujitsu, it seems to handle streaming poorly and has an inadequate battery according to reviews. What about a HP TouchPad with Android installed?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Bung Harmer posted:

Holy loving poo poo. Do some people actually think the TouchPad is a viable option?

I posted here because I know nothing about tablets. Anyway, it doesn't matter, my brother-in-law found an iPad 2 at a very reasonable price. Problem solved.