Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I went with the galaxy tab s 8.4 instead of the nexus 7 (2013) or the nexus 9.

Had it for a few months so far and am really enjoying it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I am still loving my Tab S 8.4

I did read that a new line of them is coming out this Summer.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Google Butt posted:

I really like my tab s 8.4, the screen is crazy and I can it's pretty small

Seconding this. Still impressed with mine.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

DorianGravy posted:

I'd like to get a tablet with a keyboard-cover that I can toss in a bag and occasionally type on (preferably Word). Something like a Surface, but hopefully cheaper. It needs to have a keyboard (something thin) and can't be too delicate, since it'll be jostled around in a bag sometimes. It would be nice if I could use it as a beginner drawing tablet, but that's not necessary. Any ideas?

The Tab S3 has a really slick keyboard cover, but is a little pricey.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Ineffiable posted:

But my tablet is good year round. Why do you want me to only have one that's good at Christmas?

Booooo

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
A phone is a lifeline, a tablet is a toy.

I'm still using a Samsung Tab S 8.4. it slowed to poo poo so I threw Lineage OS on there. It should now last me until the Tab S4 comes out.

Thinking about spending 13 bucks on eBay and getting a new battery. I get like 3 hours SOT currently (watching poo poo in flights).

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
The MediaPad M5 8.4 may fit your needs, or a dirt cheap Fire tablet (though the screens are crap resolution).

Edit: Forgot the loving MediaPad removed the headphone jack.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Endless Mike posted:

Nope. In fact, LastInLine wrote a long post about how Chrome tablets suck because they expect a right click that's not there.

How the hell is this not a "press and hold" motion

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Does anyone really take pictures with a tablet? I understand the front facing camera for video chat, but I have never used mine to take actual photos.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Ah yes, I was thinking strictly holding up a big tablet to take a picture of your Starbucks or whatever people do.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
That is a perfect example of horrible humans.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I carry both my XPS 13 and my Galaxy Tab S 8.4 (need to replace soon) when I travel. Laptop for work stuff, tablet for media/games. I don't notice a difference in the weight of my bag with the tablet in or out.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
You can always replace the battery for like $20.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Chillyrabbit posted:

Samsung S 8.4, which feels a little long in the tooth by now.

I tossed LineageOS on my Tab S 8.4 and it has made it useable for the past few years.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
All Android tablets are going to have some sort of USB port for charging?

The S5e is a step up from the A and still in your price range.

You could also look at the MediaPad M5, which has two different screen sizes depending on how portable you want to go.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Yeah, it's a brutal gap between way too expensive and garbage cheap.

Galaxy Tab A8 is probably the closest?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I'm mildly annoyed that Samsung keeps making larger and larger Tab S devices every year.

I went from a Tab S 8.4 (8.4") to a Tab S6 (10.5").

The smallest Tab S8 is 11".

I don't want a tablet that is the size of my laptop damnit.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

codo27 posted:

I'm a darts player, and I use a website called Dartconnect to track stats and play against the CPU and stuff. I have my old Surface Pro 3 mounted on the wall for this purpose, obviously overkill, I'd like to put that elsewhere and just get some cheap tablet to do this. Not looking to spend Samsung money. Wondering if someone maybe has tried their luck with no name/amazon/china stuff and has had success? Looking for 10"+

The Samsung Tab A8 is 10.5" and is like $230?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

codo27 posted:

279 CAD (on sale) versus ~$150 for a no name amazon brand dealie

Ah.

What about an Amazon Fire tablet? Unsure on pricing up in Canadia.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

BoldFace posted:

I've never heard of a tablet that claims to have GPS support but does not have the actual receiver chip. Can you give an example? If you know the model number of the chipset a tablet uses, you can simply look up the specs on the manufacturer's website to see if it has a GPS/GNSS receiver.

Is GSM arena trustworthy for this? I always use it for spec lookups and comparison.

Two random Samsung tabs shoved in for example.

https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=11343&idPhone2=10933

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

I've been rocking this cheapy sleeve randomly. It has survived 5 years, still going strong

https://a.co/d/bzfXAB4

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

History Comes Inside! posted:

Calibre will do this on desktop

Going to second Calibre for the functionality.

My only gripe is that it wants to be the "iTunes" of managing folders. But, best option that I have seen.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

PlaysGamesWrong posted:

My worry about 10" is that my arm is going to get heckin tired holding it up compared to 8"

The jump from my Tab S 8.4 to the Tab S6 (10.5") was quite jarring. They just keep getting bigger and dislike it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

HamburgerTownUSA posted:

Tab S 8.4 (from 2014) running Lineage OS to get it on Android 10,

Alright, I still have one of these from launch, I absolutely love the small size and the case that like buttons onto the back. You can get Android 13 on there now, which was a little bit more responsive, but this thing is pretty much toast.

Replaced it with a Tab S6 when they launched, but still would like something smaller than 10.5".

I have an iPad Pro 12.9" for work crap testing, and holy hell this thing is massive. Not my cup of tea.