Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
Already posted on the laptop thread but I thought you guys might also have some thoughts on this.

Thinking about buying one of those ultra-affordable Chinese 2-in-1 convertible laptops. This one in particular caught my eye.

Teclast F5 (330$)
  • Intel Celeron N4100
  • 11.6" 1080p IPS Touchscreen with stylus support
  • 8GB DDR4 RAM, 128GB SSD
  • 1x OTG Micro-USB, 1x 3.1 USB-C and 1x Micro-HDMI ports
  • Bluetooth 4.2, MicroSD Slot
  • 10.79 x 7.4 x 0.47 inches, 2.383lbs
  • 5000mAh battery

Sure, it's not a great powerhouse, but I thought it could handle internet browsing, video watching and some light coding. Linux support would also be nice, though I'm not familiar on how well they support all this touchscreen and screen auto-rotate stuff these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
Been using Xiaomi's Mi Pad 4 (8") for a week now and I must say that it has been a pretty great Chinese budget tablet so far. Haven't really found anything to complain about.

https://www.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_mi_pad_4-9249.php

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
I'm pretty sure you could uninstall any app (even those that can't be from the settings menu) using an adb connection. I used it to debloat my Xiaomi tablet.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
Up your budget a bit and get a Snapdragon tablet.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

mobby_6kl posted:

What's the cheapest tablet with a decent digitizer nowadays? My mom does tutoring and sometimes if the student can't make it, they do it over the phone. I imagine it'd be 100% better if she could do screensharing from a tablet and scribble formulas and what not on the screen.

I bought a Cube Mix Plus myself a few years back but it seems there are hardly any options nowadays short of the Surface or its direct clones.

Doesn't have to be Windows but probably would have to be, otherwies it's the Ipad Pro or Tab 6 or whatever.

Does it have to be mobile? One option are the drawing tablet displays digital artists use. For example Wacom's Cintiq line. You could just connect it to your windows laptop/computer.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
Bought the new Galaxy Tab S7+ the other day. Feels pretty decent so far and the screen is simply stunning. Getting used to the massive size is taking some time since I've only used 7-8" tablets in the past.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

sourdough posted:

You don't have to use any apple services beyond making an account so you can download apps. You can replace the iOS keyboard at this point even. The interfaces are also extremely similar. Click app icon, use app lol. With base iPads getting so cheap, Google getting out of the tablet game was the right call. Here, they're even on sale right now: https://slickdeals.net/f/14557076-apple-10-2-inch-ipad-latest-model-with-wi-fi-128gb-space-gray-myld2ll-a?src=frontpage

My only gripe with iPads is that they don't let me install all the apps I want to use. On Android, installing third party apps is pretty easy.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

Robo Reagan posted:

Dunno if this question really belongs here, but it seems to be the only catchall for rectangular shaped electronics. Is there a decent, for lack of a better word I can think of, digital piece of paper? I need something cheap because I'm blowing through scratch paper and it's getting out of hand. I just need something that lets me write stuff down, preferably with multiple colors. I don't even need it to store anything in memory. Something simple to scratch out my notes and wipe them away when I move on.

e: Nevermind. I somehow forgot dry erase boards exist lmao

There's something like this. The pages are made out of some paperlike plastic that can be wiped clean and reused. I think the pages have QR codes and you can use an app to scan them into a pdf and upload it to cloud if needed.

https://www.amazon.com/Rocketbook-Everlast-Fusion-Letter-Size/dp/B07RTN4F7D

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
Personally, I love the large screens. But then again, I'm pretty much always running 2 or 3 apps side by side.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
I've never heard of a tablet that claims to have GPS support but does not have the actual receiver chip. Can you give an example? If you know the model number of the chipset a tablet uses, you can simply look up the specs on the manufacturer's website to see if it has a GPS/GNSS receiver.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

Moey posted:

Is GSM arena trustworthy for this?

Yes, but if you're feeling particularly paranoid, you can look up the chipset manufacturer's website, Qualcomm and Mediatek in this case. They're the ones who put GPS on these devices, not Samsung. I feel like Samsung in general is a safe choice and all their tablets probably support GPS.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
Small tablets are kinda awkward for multitasking. I pretty much always have two or three apps open side-by-side at the same time.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
If you use earbuds/headphones, then pretty much anything works. The bottom budget tier tablets usually have crappy speakers, which is something to keep in mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
I thought Apple had stricter policies in place for apps like this, which can be seen as piracy.