Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I'm looking at getting my wife a kindle fire HDX 8.9 inch tablet for Christmas. She's a big consumer of everything Amazon. She has prime and a ton of kindle books. Can someone give me the pros and cons of the tablet? Also I'm looking to spend under $400 so it fits in my price range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.

Endless Mike posted:

The big negative to it is that it's stuck in Amazon's ecosystem, which is significantly reduced version of the Android ecosystem. Apps tend to not get updated as often and I would imagine Amazon tends to keep out things that would compete with their own stuff. For $20 more you could get a retina iPad Mini and then install the various Amazon apps (Kindle books and Amazon video are there for sure) and have a much better ecosystem.

Thanks for this, are there a bunch of options to choose with the iPad mini and what ones should I look out for? Also is the 7.9 inch screen a good size?

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.

gariig posted:

You want to get the iPad Mini with Retina the regular $299 iPad Mini is pretty long in the tooth and worth the $100 to upgrade. The one thing you lose with the Kindle apps instead of Kindle hardware is the Kindle Lending Library for Prime customers.

Another option might be a Nexus 7 2013 and an e-ink Kindle (regular or PaperWhite). However, you lose access to the Amazon Instant Video library because that doesn't have an Android application but does have an iOS version.

If 7.9 is a good size really depends. If you are reading a lot of large fixed size documents (PDF, comics, etc) it might be too cramped. I like my iPad 4 for reading lots of technical e-books which are generally better in PDF because of code samples and pictures. If you are mostly reading novels it will be fine. My wife reads a lot of novels on her Nexus 7 2013.

She has a kindle touch so the lack of lending library isn't a huge issue plus she just got a new iPhone so she's already I'm that ecosystem a little.