Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Grundma posted:

I'm looking to get a 7-8 inch android tablet, preferably with stereo speakers. Expandable storage would be nice but not essential. I mainly would be using it to look up recipes, read PDF books/manuals and stream video. Budget is up to 400 but 300 or below would be preferred.

I looked at the Dell Venue 8 7000 and while the build is nice and the screen looks great the design looks awkward for watching video in landscape mode. The Galaxy Tab S2 looks promising, but Ive read some complaints about performance and sound. Anyone have any thoughts?

I've also considered just going cheap and getting one of the $150 Fire tablets, anyone here have experience with them?

I bought a 16GB Kindle Fire HD 6 a couple of months ago, and I've been pretty happy with it. It is a little heavy, and the Amazon version of Android doesn't have that many applications and is missing some nice features (there is no Find (Ctrl-F) feature in the browser, for example), but it doesn't crash, the screen looks nice enough to me and the tablet seems to run fast enough when streaming Amazon video and when browsing the web, which is what I use it for. I bought it for the then Kindle Fire-exclusive feature to be able to download Amazon Prime videos to your tablet for offline viewing, for example, when on an airplane flight. However, I think that now Apple and Android tablets have that feature as well now.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Nov 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Flopstick posted:

True. A Samsung might do me for around the right price. Cheers!

I would try to find some way of testing Microsoft Android app functionality first on the device you want to buy and make sure you can return the Chromebook you bought. I predict that the Chromebook will do a terrible job running the Microsoft Office Android apps.

I have an Asus C302 Chromebook, and the Android functionality is pretty poor on mine, much worse than my 2011 Android smart phone. Many Android apps made by reputable companies like Roku and Amazon don’t work, and the ones that do work are loaded with glitches and bugs.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Feb 5, 2018