Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Larrymer posted:

I'm thinking about buying a tablet. My main wants:

-Large screen
-MicroSD or 32/64GB (microSD seems to be cheaper for memory)
-Something I can watch movies/tv shows on

I don't really care too much for apps or games, I'd probably just use the browser and watch videos. The main use is something to take to the gym while doing cardio if I'm honest. Will any of them be better for my uses than others? Generally I want the best bang for buck and I don't need something that is super powerful. Will I run into any problems watching common video file types? (.avi, .mkv, etc.)

Is it possible to get something decent for $2-300? I've searched around a little and everything seems quite expensive, and I'm a cheap rear end.

Thanks goons.

Nook HD+ - awesome large screen, MicroSD slot, $149

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Sero Pro refurbs are going for $89 on Newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834738002

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Refurb Hisense Sero's are around $50

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Djeser posted:

True, but then I'd have to deal with pairing and charging both of them and a big seven-inch screen that I'd be using to play SNES-era games. I'd just prefer to have one small Android device to play games on.

What about this -
http://www.funstock.co.uk/dingoo-a330

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
So are any of the $99 Windows 8.1 tablets worth getting?

I just started Christmas shopping and they jumped out at me. Are any of them even dual-core?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

freemason9 posted:

So is there a downside to running Windows on a tablet, vs. Android 4.x.x.?

App selection, and the budget Windows 8.1 tablets reportedly won't have enough memory for the Windows 10 upgrade

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Call Me Charlie posted:

Just want to clear this up. All Windows tablets will be able to upgrade to full Windows 10. After that point, OEMs of sub-8 inch tablets will have the choice of whatever they're calling Windows RT (yes, it's not actually dead) or real deal Windows 10. There's no hard rule.

There's problems with file compression of devices like HP Stream that's not allowing people to upgrade to Windows 10:

https://gigaom.com/2015/01/26/got-a-low-cost-laptop-windows-10-upgrade-may-take-some-effort/

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

No Gravitas posted:

I'm looking for a dirt-cheap new tablet. The only requirements are
1) It can display a color PDF for up to 2 hours.
2) Won't break down within two years.

That's it. Everything else is optional, price guiding my choices. I don't need Wi-Fi, cell connectivity, ability to install anything, speed faster than glacial, large storage room or a large screen. I just need a cheap PDF reader that won't die on me.

Any ideas?

(I'm a new lecturer and I need to review my slides on the 60 minute bus ride to the campus.)

Enjoy your HP Stream 7

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Does the $50 fire tablet have gps?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

RoanHorse posted:

I need a decent Android tablet/phlablet that's has a screen over 6" (negotiable) with a decent PPI and at least marginally close to standard dimensions (nothing stupidly wide or unreasonably tall), has a built in or very cheap option for being stood up in the portrait orientation (and app support indicative of such).
I don't particularly care about the ROM (or support, hardware and community wise, for flashing a new one) unless it can be modified to solve my main problem (see below). Bluetooth and 5ghz band wifi connectivity are a plus but I wouldn't mind not having either.

It needs to not have a camera. I'm looking for a color E-Reader (or a device that can be adapted for such a purpose) so I can use several e-reader applications with support for various usability features that benefit users with dyslexia and hyperlexia. I work in an office where I'm not allowed to have any device with a camera powered on, and all e-reader devices are inspected to ensure they meet that requirement before they can be used on site.
So far, I have not been able to find anything that justifies it's price w/r/t functionality, storage, and PPI that does not have a camera. If you have an applicable device that has a broken camera, please message me (ask for my email if you don't have PMs) if you have any plans on selling it in the future.

The device cannot be sold as a "game console" (the Shield Portable, for example, was rejected).

Edit:
My budget is < $250, but I will spring for something that piques my interest if it is useful outside of E-Reading (i.e. a shield tablet, but those all currently have cameras)

Nook HD's and Nook HD+'s have high PPI and no camera - you can find both dirt cheap on eBay

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

I've never rooted a tablet before or dealt with custom ROMs, but for $35 I'm willing to try - how hard is it to get Marshmallow running on this thing?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

C-Euro posted:

My mom is thinking about buying my dad a Fire HD 6 (70 today on Amazon). In her words, "We have that iPad (1st gen) , but it's not been upgraded and he only uses it for playing solitaire. I think he could use it for work, load maps on it and stuff." My dad is semi-retired and "work" involves driving around doing odd jobs like volunteer work and insurance inspections, I don't know about the map part but I'm sure he could find a use for a small tablet even if he is not tech savvy. Worth it at the price point?

None of the Fire tablets have GPS, so they're a bad idea for your dad

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

paradoxGentleman posted:

What mostly worries me is this: I had to wipe out ny Ipad's memory at one point and then was unable to re-download the apps because they had moved on to IOS 6 and beyond. Is this something that is likely to happen?

iPad 2 is still being supported until next fall (it won't get iOS 10), and that has been around since Spring 2011 - so expect roughly 4 or 5 years of support from the launch date with Apple products

In comparison, Windows 10 tablets are being supported for 10 years, and official android devices by Nexus or Samsung are supported for 1 or 2

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

I have a Galaxy Tab 4 - it was supposed to have Lollipop a year ago and still nothing

The comment sections on Youmobile for a lot of Samsung products are just "gently caress you Samsung" - and rightly so!

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

for sale posted:

I bought a dell venue 8 windows 8 version for an insanely low price a while ago and had fun with it for a while. I decided to upgrade it to windows 10 (because hey, free and I hate windows 8) and it really hasn't run smoothly since. It's really slow at times and the OS itself won't play nicely with the touch controls most of the time. Since I'm just using it for ebooks and web browsing, is there an easy way to just put Android or Linux on it instead and still have all of the touch stuff still work alright, or is there an easier way to try to do what I want here?

Did you upgrade all the drivers:

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/dell-venue-8-pro/drivers

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Guni posted:

Goons,

What's the cheapest Windows tablet that will let me watch Netflix, do the odd word and excel documents and not be slow as balls? Also, doesn't have to be a 2-in-1.

Apologies in advance if this should have gone in the laptop mega thread.

HP Stream 7 is still around, and it includes a year of Office 365 for free

You can find it for around $60.00 used on Amazon and "fulfillment by Amazon" means it's open box stock that Amazon's trying to get rid of:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00NSHLVD2/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

I have one and it upgrades to Windows 10 without problems

The 8" variation is $84.99 certified refurbished:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01920H010/ref=psdc_1232597011_t1_B00NSHLVD2

EugeneJ fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Mar 17, 2016

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Medullah posted:

I have the Stream 7 and haven't powered it on since the week I bought it, you're saying it will upgrade to Windows 10? Doesn't it lack the hard drive space to really pull that off?

It has 32gb storage - it updated fine for me

Also upgrading the HP drivers fixes the battery drain problems it had out the box

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Xiahou Dun posted:

Anyway, I just need to know what's a cheap tablet that can run E-Prime and is pretty portable?

Here's the system requirements for E-Prime:

https://www.pstnet.com/eprime.cfm?tabID=Requirements

You need a Windows tablet with a USB port for Chronos (if you're using Chronos) and it must have at least a 2GHZ dual-core processor and 1GB RAM

Are you using Chronos?

EugeneJ fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Mar 20, 2016

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The HP Stream 7 I mentioned a few posts ago is worth a shot - Amazon has them for around $60 used or refurbished and they upgrade to Windows 10. They're quad-core and have 1gb RAM.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

99 CENTS AMIGO posted:

So, about 3-4 months ago I bought one of those really cheap, $40-on-sale Kindle Fires as my first tablet, and lo and behold, it's crappy. At the very least, $40 isn't a bad cost for a learning experience.

I'm seeing this pretty-well-reviewed iPad mini 2 for $200 today, which seems like the absolute low-end of what one should expect to spend on a reasonable tablet.

As I'd planned for the Kindle Fire, I really just use a tablet for my work as a tutor- so for websites for research, being able to access my kids' textbook online sites, etc. It's basically there to serve the browser capabilities of my iPhone, just bigger, so there's no squinting necessary. The Kindle failed about 50% of the time in this capacity, as half of the apps I'd need weren't in Amazon's limited library, and I just couldn't access some of the sites I can on my iPhone due to the weird jury-rigged Android that Kindle Fires run (like Go-Math, the textbook most kids use in NYC schools, has a terrible website, but at least I can get to it on my phone).

Also, the Kindle Fire couldn't run Marvel Unlimited, which I just got a subscription to. I'm not planning on ever buying/downloading comics or books on it, just to read them, and I'm not going to have all that many apps besides maybe Facebook, Instagram, and Pandora. Would this 16 GB iPad mini 2 cover those pretty simple-use needs?

Installing the Play Store on the Kindle Fire takes like 3 minutes

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

clockworkjoe posted:

Why do people hate samsung tablets? The specs make it look perfect for me, especially the micro sd slot part.

I have a Galaxy Tab 4 that's still on KitKat - Samsung promised Lollipop for the device 2 years ago. They're still being sold. Think about that.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

BigFactory posted:

What's the cheapest android tablet that anyone would recommend? I might need to buy a bunch of them.

The $49 Amazon Fire - doesn't come with stock Android, but you can easily add Google Play

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
When do new Amazon tablets get announced? I wonder if it'll get a refresh anytime soon

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bagheera posted:

Tap to wake would be nice, as would a company that's known for keeping up on updates.

Bagheera posted:

I think almost any Android tablet would meet those requirements

nope - Nexus tablets get maybe 2-3 years of updates, and then that's it

Every other manufacturer is spotty as hell with updates

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

PS. Love the cabin posted:

I'm looking for something under $200CAD that will do light games like Hearthstone or Minecraft plus maybe video playing or whatever else I get bored enough to try.
The issue I'm having is that I don't like the idea of spending $$$ on a 1GB tablet in tyool 2016.

I was looking at the Chuwi hybrid Android/Windows tablets but I don't really have any interest in a Windows tablet and during the review I watched it hardlocked.
I'm guessing those aren't worth it?

The processor just has to be "good enough" in that it's not slow as balls.

Amazon Fire 7 or Amazon Fire HD 8 would be fine - both are $50 and $90 USD, respectively

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Slanderer posted:

Crossposting from the phone recommendation thread:
Can anyone recommend a cheap android phone/mini-tablet to be used for skype and snapchat and instagram over wifi with no cell plan?

Tablet: Fire 7 for $49 or Fire HD 8 for $89

Phone: Moto E 2nd Gen Verizon for $34 at Best Buy

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Nocheez posted:

My wife has a Nook HD that she has used to it's very end. It's been a workhorse since we got it for a steal when they discontinued them. She's currently using Google for all of her book purchases, so she'd like to go with something Android that isn't a Kindle.

You can easily install Google Play on the Amazon tablets like Fire HD 8

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
You guys have some weird obsession for paying hundreds of dollar for sweatshop tablets that billionaires manufacture for $10.00

At least Amazon has the right idea that selling cheap tablets is a gateway for consumers to buy more stuff from them

Google Shopping is a mess and since Google has nothing to upsell they're just kind of floundering

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Endless Mike posted:

or getting some supermarket POS for $50.

Fire tablets are cool and good

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

uXs posted:

What's a good tablet for watching youtube, netflix, and twitch?

I currently have a nexus 7 that's a billion years old (2013) and while it's still trucking along it's sometimes showing its age and I think I would like something with a bigger screen.

Requirements:

* Android
* Good, large screen
* Good sound
* Decent battery life

I'll also need a stand for putting it on my desk.

Recommendations?

Enjoy your Fire HD 8

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

uXs posted:

Still a small screen, also Amazon app store = no.

It takes 2 minutes to install the Google Play store on it

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Virtue posted:

Is there any difference in performance between the kindle fire and the hd? I impulse bought the cheap one but it seems to crawl at times

Fire 7 has 1GB RAM, Fire HD 8 has 1.5GB RAM

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

king of the bongo posted:

I need to find an mp3 player with a built in FM tuner to use in my classroom as the cd's we use get scratched really fast and unusable within a few months. I need something that I can just leave plugged in and hooked up to a set of external speakers and most of the stand alone mp3 players (sansa etc) have tiny screens for navigating the music library which is why I thought a tablet might work better as the classroom can use it for video as well.

Are there any inexpensive tablets out there with a built in FM tuner? If anyone has a suggestion on something else that might work I am all ears.

Couldn't you just use the YouTube app or the Pandora app over wifi? I don't think there's an album/song I haven't been able to find on YouTube. The TuneinRadio and iHeartRadio apps have a lot of local FM stations.

Fire 7 and Fire HD 8 are cheap enough and you can put the Google Play store on them with a small amount of effort

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lockback posted:

My daughter has a Dell Venue 8 that's battery just went to crap. She plays minecraft on it, and probably other games that are on the higher end for tablets. Looking for a replacement, first thought was a Shield K1 for $200, but is there any other options the thread would recommend?

Fire HD 8 runs minecraft fine and is half the price

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

BGrifter posted:

So I'm eyeing purchasing an inexpensive Android tablet. Everything I own is Apple, but I work at the public library and end up helping a lot of seniors with Android tablets/phones so having one at home to play around with would be valuable.

My uses would be pretty simple stuff, games like Final Fantasy Record Keeper/Final Fantasy Brave Exvius mostly. Maybe some Hearthstone. A little web browsing on the couch. I'm used to playing these on my iPhone 6s so I'm hoping to get something that won't look notably choppier/worse if that's a potential problem?

I'd like to keep it around $300 CAD or less if possible, cheaper is better of course. For $430 CAD I could buy one of the new iPads.

After a little googling the Nvidia Shield looked great, but it seems to be impossible to find in stock. The Lenovo Tab 4 8" was available on Lenovo's web store a couple days ago, but not the Tab 4 Plus that I really wanted. I'm leaning toward waiting on the Tab 4 Plus being available.

Am I on the right path waiting on the Lenovo Tab 4 8 Plus?

Edit: Would the Tab 4 8 regular be sufficient for what I'm looking to do? That $179.99 CAD price is incredible.

Amazon Fire HD 8 isn't pure Android, but it's dirt cheap and you can sideload the Google Play store on it easily

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Demon_Corsair posted:

Just cracked the screen on my old N7, so now I'm looking for a new tablet. It's mostly just used for browsing and games. Right now I'm trying decide between the Zenpad 3S or the new ipad. I've only used android, so I have no investment in the apple ecosystem. But slow updates and 3rd party android bullshit are definitely a mark against the 3S.

Fire HD 8

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Pants Donkey posted:

This is probably asking for the impossible, but figured I see what’s out there before sucking it up for a Fire HD. I’m just looking for a basic web browser and media machine. Very light gaming but that isn’t a dealbreaker.

I’d like:

-1080p
-8 inch screen
-splitscreen multitasking (not as important, obviously)
-Under $100 (doesn’t have to be new)

This is probably asking way the hell too much for the price, but I’d see if anyone has heard of older models on eBay or Swappa that satisfy the above.

Fire HD 10 was just released - 10" screen and $149, but it has 1080p:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01J6RPGKG

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Kubrick posted:

I'm looking to get a cheaper tablet specifically for reading digital comics. That means it needs to be able to run both the Marvel Unlimited and Comixology apps and have a large screen with good resolution for reading text.

I was all set to buy a Kindle HD 10 (great price!) when I discovered that it won't run Marvel Unlimited :(

So now I'm stuck. Any recommendations?

You can sideload the Google Play store and install the apps from there

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Are there decent Android tablets for under $100? Would mostly be used for reading PDFs and similar, maybe some games on occasion. Definitely something compatible with the Google Play Store.

Amazon Fire HD 8 - you can sideload the Google Play store

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

5er posted:

Been sitting with my new Fire 8 HD, and I kind of wish a little bit that I had considered paying the extra ten for the no ads version. I'll figure out how to kill that lovely lockscreen eventually... and that nearly ubiquitous special sale notification too.

If you ask them via Chat in your Amazon account to remove the lock-screen ads, they'll do it for free - just say the ads are causing the tablet that you bought to lag