Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I got a chuwi hi9p and it is fine for almost the same usecase as yours.
Mostly bought it because it was the cheapest usb-c tablet a year ago, and because amazon rarely has cheap sales in my region.
Almost stock android, but almost not updates. And the changelog and update messages are only in Chinese.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Crotch Fruit posted:

Is Chuwi a no name ali-express tablet? I'm totally fine with a no-name Chineseium tablet I just want to know what kind of worms are in this can before I open it. Also I did not see a specific hi9p, I saw Hi9 Pro, Hi9 Plus, or Hi9 Air, I assume you were referring to the Pro model? Do you know how the other Plus and Air compare to the Pro?
I have Hi9 Plus. I think the Pro is a year older and/or with a smaller screen. I don't remember noticing the Air when I was researching.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Lamont posted:

I'm looking for an Android tablet to replace my ancient Nook HD running cyanogenmod, which is creaking a bit now (battery dies quickly and ScummVM no longer works)

I use this tablet largely for two things - reading comic books, and playing point n' click adventure games on ScummVM, anything else is a bonus really. What can you recommend as a good replacement for around £100? Same size screen (7") is fine.

edit: Lenovo M7 looks good, any downsides?

I just bought a Lenovo P11 for around 200€ to replace a 10 year old chuwi.
Lenovo goes all nagware with their "upload anonymous usage data" stuff with a daily uncancellable notification. And I use a Niagara launcher, and lenovo's start menu thing appears sometimes blocking the bottom end of the screen, returning to home and back to the app fixes that though.
Works great otherwise.

I probably wouldn't buy a micro-usb device no matter how cheap it is. And I feel like there is an increasing number of apps that refuse to install on devices below 4Gb ram.