Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Hayden posted:

I'm looking at getting an android tablet to use primarily for reading comics, streaming, and dicking around on the forums. I don't really need anything too beefy, I've already got a laptop that's more than enough to handle any actual work I want to do. I'd prefer something with a microSD slot so I can expand storage, and bluetooth. If travel ever gets safe again, I'd like to be able to load it up with netflix downloads for the flight or whatever.

I've been looking at the 64 gb Samsung Galaxy Tab A7, which is currently $209 at Sam's Club.

For my uses, will this be enough? Like I said, I don't need anything super top of the line, but I also don't want to end up furious at a slow sloggy tablet. Or should I just get a kindle?

*edit* It's less that the ipad is out of my price range, and more that I don't really want an iOS device. I'd prefer something with expandable memory, since I already have a 256gb mSD card sitting around, and I'm already set up / familiar with android.

I use it and don’t have any problems of sluggishness. I also put LineageOS on it and it uses significantly less RAM in normal use, if you want to go down that rabbit hole. The screen is really great, but the speakers aren’t great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I think people speak highly of the Remarkable 2, but it’s probably only worth it if you want to write/edit PDFs a lot.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I feel like that thing is, unfortunately, just a PC. There's probably some tinkering you can do to make sure it works more efficiently but that's a pretty standard windows laptop experience.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I have a Surface Pro which is basically a tablet/laptop to me so I would never get a big tablet. A small tablet like the Mini is my preferred way of looking at poo poo on the internet around the house.

e: Specifically, I would only really use a 9" or smaller tablet

jokes fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Nov 4, 2022

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I use a surface (pro 8) for work and personal use and it's fantastic for regular laptop usage and also for drawing/writing notes, especially with PDFs.

I will say the one issue is that since it's a stand and not a hinge it's harder/less comfortable to use in bed or on your lap. But I use it that way extremely rarely. Basically, it can't stand straight up at 90 degrees and it can't lean forward at all without you holding it, which means laying down with it on your belly is a no-go.

I used the remarkable and liked it but it's only good for writing notes and reading.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

e: nvm

jokes fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Feb 9, 2023

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/designer/ipad/

I liked loving around on my iPad with this tool. I bought the lifetime sub for everything a while back because it's really good software.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

e: nvm

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The iPad Mini 6 is on the refurbished story for a pretty great price -- if you do buy a tablet that isn't just-released, be sure to buy a refurb.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

It's the best iPad imho but you're paying a premium for the form factor (mitigated by buying it refurbished, etc.) and it's about due for a refresh.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

spookygonk posted:

Got a hospital stay coming up so thinking of either an iPad mini 5 (refurb) or maybe the Amazon Fire Max 11 for roughly the same price.
The Fire Max is bigger just wonder if it's any good.

iPad. You won’t regret it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The only reason to not get an iPad is if you have a very specific, probably high-level use case or you're trying to buy the cheapest device by far. Liking Apple or not, the iPad is categorically the best tablet for 99% of people.

That being said, I had an A7 and it was fine I guess but Android loving sucks.