Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Crossposting from a different thread.

I was about to go buy a $1000 Samsung tablet to help me at work, thankfully they were sold out and I had an epiphany on my drive home. Why the gently caress am I spending a grand on a glorified drawing tablet, when the only functionality I need from it is the ability to let me draw (accurately) on PDF documents. So I thought surely there must be a much cheaper alternative? I don't need a tablet. I just want to be able to open PDFs and annotate them / draw on them neatly and accurately. I chose such an expensive tablet because the screen quality is great and it's 14.something inches. But could I not just get one of those digital pads that artists use to draw on their computers? I could just plug that into my work laptop and annotate to my heart's desire.

Pic below is what I need it for. I usually hand draw this all on A3 paper but if I make a mistake (which I do often), it's a huge pain in the rear end as I gotta redraw everything from scratch. Doing it digitally on PDF would be way easier as I can just cut stuff, elongate, shift it around, copy paste. It would also help my document organization as right now I've got like 16 A3 pages on my desk and it's a nightmare keeping track of it all. Having digitally saved hand marked-up drawings in my project folder would be way easier. Overall, it would just make life much easier for me and I'd be able to complete tasks faster and cleaner.

So does anyone have any advice? One of those drawing pads would work but then I'd need to learn the whole hand eye coordination aspect. A drawing pad with a screen would be perfect, but I'm way out of my depth. Thank god I stopped for a second and used my brain though, that Samsung tablet would have been such a waste of money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

The Grumbles posted:

I'm sure others in the thread will have more knowledge of those drawing tablets, but thought it was worth saying that my partner uses a 9th gen base level ipad + pencil for producing artwork and it works really well, so if you're just marking up documents or doing some simple drawings for cheap a base level ipad and an apple pencil (or even the cheaper logitech stylus) is easy and accurate to use, so long as you don't mind the smaller screen.

Thanks buddy, you're pretty darn right about it. I've been stewing over this for the past however many hours and I've come to the same conclusion. Why on earth waste money on a device with all these bells and whistles when all I really need is something that lets me digitally draw simple stuff on a PDF.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I got the Kamvas 16, all the reviews were great and people seem to really like it, and it's extremely affordable and does what I need. Thanks buddy.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Hey, I'd like to buy a tablet to help streamline my work processes and make my life altogether easier at the office. My job as a design engineer involves a lot of PDF browsing, with near-constant marking up of said PDFs. I'll typically add annotations, scribble things out, cloud things, add text boxes, change dimension values, etc.

I was looking at the Samsung S9 Ultra and whilst it's within my budget, it seems like absolute overkill for what I need. I don't plan on using this thing outside of work. I don't intend to play games, watch movies, or use it for personal browsing. I just want something to digitize my work process so that I'm not reliant on drawing on printouts with a pencil, rubbing out mistakes, redoing it etc.