Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

Endless Mike posted:

What makes this better than any generic comic reader? (Serious question!)

Tachiyomi allows you to easily access multiple online sources (and the sources it can access are easily expanded via extensions) for scanalations and read them like you would any book or comic that's locally stored, and if you want, you can download chapters for reading later offline.

There is no other app that has the same functionality it does as conveniently as it does, and many people have an android tablet just to use Tachiyomi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

Nitrousoxide posted:

Just to alert folks on here, since the only use my android tablet sees is for reading Tachiyomi,

iOS finally has a port of the only good manga reading app in Tachimanga. You can even import your Tachiyomi backup to it.

I have literally no reason to recommend an android tablet now.

Oh man, I was actually going to ask today what I should replace my tablet with that I only use for Tachiyomi. It's a Galaxy Tab S 8.4 (from 2014) running Lineage OS to get it on Android 10, and my main reasons for using it was that it has an OLED display, high PPI resolution, and a microSD card slot. It's starting to really feel its age (I've already changed the battery out), and I was hoping to move on to something newer, but I guess 8" android tablets with OLED displays with PPI over 200 aren't a thing anymore.

I guess the iPad mini 6 is on the table now since I also want to start using Procreate for digital art (and am still planning on getting an M1 iPad Pro 12.9 to be my primary art tablet), and having something smaller for just getting ideas down without taking up a lot of space while I'm out would be good for my workflow.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

neogeo0823 posted:

What if I don't want an iPad though?

Hello, thread. My wife is looking for a tablet for her business needs. Shes rents out a space doing aesthetics and nails, and wants something that'll be inexpensive and workable for that. She plans to use it for basic internet/email/website functionality, basic business stuff like tracking finances, taking and posting photos of her work on the various socials, and as a "nice to have" sorta thing, if she can do some basic drawing/design work on it, then cool. If not though, then that's fine to. We're both generally not in favor of Apple as a company, unless there's literally no viable options otherwise.

Earlier today, she found a refurb Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 64GB for $175. Is that a decent tablet? Is that a decent deal? We're open to recommendations here.

Knowing what size tablet she'd ideally want to use, as well as realistic budget would help for getting suggestions.

quote:

and as a "nice to have" sorta thing, if she can do some basic drawing/design work on it, then cool. If not though, then that's fine to.

If you are trying to stick with "cheaper" tablets, this isn't going to happen in a not-frustrating way

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022
Welp. It finally happened. My trusty 10 year old Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 running Android 13 via LineageOS 20 that I was using to read manga/comics on via tachiyomiMihon finally died. Screen no longer comes on. It's not the battery, because I replaced the battery not that long ago, and a tester shows that it's taking a charge (and thermal imaging camera shows that stuff is happening internally, at least), so something else is borked, and at this point, it's not worth fixing and I don't care to troubleshoot it anymore.

So since I have somewhere to be in a few days and would like to have stuff to read, off to Amazon I go for a cheap Android tablet that I can just shove my microSD card in to so I don't have to download everything again.

At first I was going to get one of those cheap random Chinese tablets, but the reviews don't seem that great, and after the whole "cheap Android boxes meant for hooking up to your TV have spyware on them" thing, I don't exactly trust them.

Looks like you can get a Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8.4" (2020) on Amazon for really cheap if you get a used/refurbished one. I ordered one for $39.94 that's listed in "acceptable" condition that is an LTE version for Verizon (I'm never going to use the LTE part), and in general, all the carrier subsidized versions of this tablet are dirt cheap.

For now, it has the basics of what I want in a tablet I'm just going to read manga on; 8-9" screen, decent enough ppi (1200x1920, so 270ppi), microSD card slot, USB C. I imagine it'll run VLC fine if I want to throw stuff on the card to watch (even my old tablet could manage that), and maybe asides from some light web browsing or YouTube via BraveNewPipe, I don't need it to do much else than that.

It arrives tomorrow, so we'll see how noticeable the screen is compared to my old tablet which had a higher resolution AMOLED display.

When I get the chance I'm finally going to just order an iPad Mini 6th gen and then use the Galaxy Tab A as a panel for Home Assistant or display for SimHub or something.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022
Tablet arrived from Amazon.

First impressions:

It wasn't packed particularly well. Just a single layer of bubble wrap that covered like 75% the tablet itself put in a cardboard box. Came with generic 5V2A charger and USB C cable. Tablet was a little dusty, and needed a little additional cleaning.

There are just two tiny scratches in the screen. I can barely catch them with my nail. Only barely visible with screen off, not visible with screen on. For the cheapest "acceptable" condition, I am pleasantly surprised as to how nice a condition it is.

Did not come with a microSD card installed (wasn't expecting it to), did have a SIM card installed (wasn't expecting one), which I promptly removed.

Powered it on, skipped through all the setup stuff.

Wow, there is a lot of Verizon and Samsung crap on here. I'm also getting nagged by a persistent notification about the missing SIM card, and I can't make it go away.

Comes with Android 11 and One UI 3.1. Doesn't look like there's a possibility of putting on a custom ROM I guess.

Ran it through Universal Android Debloater to get rid of pretty much everything. Sideloaded F-Droid and Mihon so I could at least get a different launcher on there and get my manga/comics stuff working. I'll install BraveNewPipe later once I get around to doing another Google Takeout to get my YT subscriptions for my burner YT watching account.

All in all, I am happy with the $47.43 I paid in total ($39.94 for tablet, $3.49 tax, $4.00 CA Electronic Waste Recycling Fee). This tablet seems like it will do everything I want. The resolution is more than fine for the size (which was one of my concerns), although I do miss the black blacks that come from having an AMOLED display (my other concern) and the viewing angle maybe isn't as nice (which isn't really an issue).

edit: sideloaded AutoNotification and SystemUI Tuner, and used those to get rid of the last visual reminders/nags that this is a Verizon tablet, namely the persistent missing SIM card notification, and the phone signal bars in the status bar.

HamburgerTownUSA fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Feb 28, 2024