Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Maybe this is a stupid question but if I have an Android phone and use a few apps like Evernote that sync with a server and I get an Mac will Evernote on there match up with my phone or not?

I'm looking to buy a tablet soon that will be used almost entirely for reading .pdfs and other electronic textbook formats. It'd be swell if it also could handle attachment to a keyboard for one of those note taking apps where you can also draw little pictures onto the PowerPoint or whatever.

I'm waiting for the loving Nexus 10 to come out before I decide. How much is a refurbished Air right now / are those hard to find?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Endless Mike posted:

Those are the best options. Decide whether you want Android or iOS and go from there. If you have a Best Buy local, they should have them both there to play with. You might be better served with a 10" tablet, though, if you're planning on reading lots of PDFs.

Evernote will sync between all your devices, as will any other platform-agnostic services. There's not a lot of tablets that connect directly to a keyboard, but they will all be able to connect via Bluetooth without issue. Pretty much everything has note-taking apps at this point, so that shouldn't be a big deal. Apple doesn't appear to have refurbished iPads Air yet. They usually start appearing 3-4 months after release, so any time now, really.

Any guess as to the cost when they do start appearing?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Rent posted:

Tablet gaming can be kind of ridiculous, but there are some pretty cool things on the app store. I like to play old school Final Fantasy and stuff. Just depends on what you want to use it for. Really any tablet will be fine based on your needs, Android as well.

As for iOS, just personal preference. Navigation in iOS is clunkier compared to Windows.

Of course the app ecosystem is mature after 5 years, but I said I don't like the actual OS and prefer navigation in Windows 8. No reason to get defensive.

That FTL game is coming to iPad soon. Best game for iPad IMHO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-SnIhpCm5w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Me1v8iA8xU4

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
The last few posts got me thinking that maybe my parents could use a tablet to carry around the house and stream Netflix on (using an HDMI cable or whatever hooked up to either the giga TV upstairs or the giga TV downstairs). What's a good tablet for that and why is this a bad idea.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Don't use a cable, get two Chromecasts. If that's really all they want to do, you could get them a Nexus 7, or if they already have smartphones they can just use those. If the tablet is going to be for other things too, get an iPad or iPad Mini.

Oh that looks better. They still have dumbphones, I'm debating whether it will be worth it to try to switch them over before they get too old to learn new things. I assume this isn't the 80s any more and I don't have to worry about there being two separate Chromecasts running at once and differentiating them easily on their device(s)?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
What app do people use for word processing on Mac and on Android and why is it awful?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Do either of them do tables? I'm a tables fiend.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Nexus is better and has access to Android apps which the Fire does not. Easy choice.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
If you read mostly PDFs get a tablet. The Kindle Paperwhite is really great and amazing and I love it but I plan to get a tablet soon mostly to deal with loving PDFs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Hand Knit posted:

Okay. Thanks. Would having an Apple laptop provide any special reason to get an iPad over a Nexus 7? It looks like (current generation) iPads are quite a bit more expensive. Also, there wouldn't be any arcane reason why I would have trouble moving this device from North America to England, would there?

I pray to the dark lord Kromdor that the Nexus 10 receive a new version, is my opinion