Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If you absolutely have to hoard media on your tablet, you can get a cheap USB OTG cable to attach to a Nexus tablet. I guess Samsung's offerings aren't completely horrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

The 7's screen is also brighter,
The other things are important, but is this? I don't have any devices I keep at max brightness (or even close to it), since it tends to be eye-searing in anything but the brightest light, and reading long-form material on an LCD outdoors is not going to be the best experience in the best of circumstances.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Amazon app market kind of sucks and apps tend to be behind their Google Play counterparts since they all have to be vetted by Amazon before an update is released. Staples has Nexus 7's on sale for $30 off right now.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

XavierGenisi posted:

I'm thinking of getting myself an iPad mini, mostly because it's cheaper. My intent is to use it for gaming, mostly, and I already got a bunch of apps on my iPhone 4S.

What I want to know is, how does the iPad mini fare, performance-wise? I'm not looking for absolute bleeding edge performance and graphics, and I'm fine with how my 4S performs for the most part.

Would it be a waste to get an ipad mini if I just want something a bit cheaper, or should I just shell out for the mini with retina display?
For $100 you get a display that is significantly better and a processor that is not over three years old. It'll be worth it just for the longterm support alone.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

A laptop.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The big negative to it is that it's stuck in Amazon's ecosystem, which is significantly reduced version of the Android ecosystem. Apps tend to not get updated as often and I would imagine Amazon tends to keep out things that would compete with their own stuff. For $20 more you could get a retina iPad Mini and then install the various Amazon apps (Kindle books and Amazon video are there for sure) and have a much better ecosystem.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Akarshi posted:

So I'm thinking of getting a tablet for reading comics, watching movies, flipping through big textbook pdfs on something more portable than my heavy laptop, and in general doing standard tablet stuff like going through RSS feeds, web browsing, etc. Maybe play some games too. Any specific recommendations? I'm torn between the Nexus 7 and the iPad Retina Mini.
Those are the best options. Decide whether you want Android or iOS and go from there. If you have a Best Buy local, they should have them both there to play with. You might be better served with a 10" tablet, though, if you're planning on reading lots of PDFs.

Sheep-Goats posted:

Maybe this is a stupid question but if I have an Android phone and use a few apps like Evernote that sync with a server and I get an Mac will Evernote on there match up with my phone or not?

I'm looking to buy a tablet soon that will be used almost entirely for reading .pdfs and other electronic textbook formats. It'd be swell if it also could handle attachment to a keyboard for one of those note taking apps where you can also draw little pictures onto the PowerPoint or whatever.

I'm waiting for the loving Nexus 10 to come out before I decide. How much is a refurbished Air right now / are those hard to find?
Evernote will sync between all your devices, as will any other platform-agnostic services. There's not a lot of tablets that connect directly to a keyboard, but they will all be able to connect via Bluetooth without issue. Pretty much everything has note-taking apps at this point, so that shouldn't be a big deal. Apple doesn't appear to have refurbished iPads Air yet. They usually start appearing 3-4 months after release, so any time now, really.

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Dec 25, 2013

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Akarshi posted:

Gotcha. I've never used an Android before, and I do have an iPhone 4. Is the Android user friendly enough for me to hop in? I hear a lot about rooting and such.
It's fine though it does stuff different than iOS and there's some functions that work oddly, especially to an iOS user (the back button is a big culprit here). Rooting is less necessary than jailbreaking an iPhone, which is completely unnecessary.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sheep-Goats posted:

Any guess as to the cost when they do start appearing?
I forget what the discount is, sorry. $30-50 maybe?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If you're actively killing apps on a tablet, you're downloading bad apps. iOS, Windows, and Android are all very good at managing memory.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Windows 8(.1) (and I assume RT is similar) will actively kill Metro apps if it needs memory elsewhere, though there was some early complaints about apps not closing gracefully and losing data. Not sure if that's still the case.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rent posted:

More the fact I hate seeing 15 cards in iOS when I'm trying to multitask. I understand you don't need to actively kill apps. But a lot of people have a habit of doing it, or just want a "clean slate"
I'm sorry about your autism.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

So on the recommendations of this thread, I ended up getting an iPad Mini for my kids for Xmas. Thanks for the help all.

My next question: Is there a consensus best case for protecting it?
Ask the iPad thread.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I wouldn't expect a new Nexus 7 for six months or so, and those Samsungs would be bad compared to a 2012 Nexus 7, nevermind a 2013.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

A Transformer T100 is just a Windows 8 netbook you can take the keyboard off of. Granted, the new Baytrail Atoms are supposed to be immensely better on battery and power than previous versions, but any issues you have with netbooks and laptops, you're going to have with it, as well.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Derek Dominoe posted:

Thanks to everyone for the recommendations. I'm going to wait and see what the Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 software is like before making a decision. Apparently, they may be moving toward a more "clean" Android OS now that Google sold Motorola Mobility to Lenovo (source). Otherwise, Retina iPad mini.

That just says Samsung will stop making S-Mail and S-Voice and S-Dialer and use Google's apps, nothing about it not being horrible neon green and purple Touchwiz garbage.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Nexus 10 is over a year old at this point and there's not even been any rumors of a replacement mild unsourced rumors of a replacement coming sometime. An iPad Air is a better option at this point. There's plenty of comics readers on iOS for both legitimate and illegitimate needs.

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Feb 18, 2014

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Hey guys, first time in this subforum, not much of a tech-knowledgable guy.

I'm thinkin' of getting an ipad, the primary purpose of which would be to read books and comics. Because of the comics thing, I'd like the bigger-sized screen, and I don't want to spend a huge amount, so I'm looking at the ipad 2 which I could get from best buy for $300. Does this sounds reasonable, or is there a different model I should be going for/something I'm overlooking? I know the ipad 2 is being discontinued soon so I'm not sure if it's got some crippling problem I don't know about.
In tech terms, it is ancient at this point. I wouldn't get anything older than a 4th gen iPad at this point. MacMall has them for $390. The display alone is worth the additional $90, never mind it being more powerful in every regard. (They're Sprint models, but if you were just getting a wifi-only one, it's not a big deal to just turn off cellular and not worry about it.)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Thanks for the tip. I'm assuming this macmall site is legit (as you can tell I know jack poo poo about this stuff)?
MacMall has been around forever and is super legit. I would still spend the extra $40 over a refurb iPad 3.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Also note than a Sprint iPad 4 will work on AT&T and T-Mobile 3G and *should* work on Verizon 3G and LTE, though it might take some effort to get a working SIM card for it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Snuffman posted:

If you're looking to save money, why not just get a wifi iPad and pair with whatever cellphone you have? In Canada, on Telus at least, I just pair my wifi iPad mini to my iPhone if the wifi is lovely.

That said, going by the number of apps trying to sneak into the App store with hidden tethering abilities, I suspect free tethering isn't a "US" thing.

Also, don't underestimate the Retina Mini's. I have an OG mini, but I strongly suspect the Retina Mini's would be excellent for comic books.
It's because the $390 iPad 4 I linked to is only available in Sprint models. If there was a cheaper wifi-only model, I'd have definitely recommended that.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Why are you so concerned with what someone else is buying? If he's happy with it, let him get it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

It's not even leather, it's the same slimy Samsung plastic molded to look like leather.
I'm now curious how many people think their Notes are real leather.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

gariig posted:

I would do a refurb 32gb iPad Air from the Apple Store for $509. If you want to do a Samsung Note 10.1 2014 that's fine but I think the Air is a better tablet. The Note wins out if you want a digitizer and stylus. I think 16gb is tight on a tablet. It's definitely doable I have an iPad 4 16gb but like when I'm traveling I wish I had 32 just for a little extra breathing room. Having both platforms can be annoying for paid apps but generally I pick one platform or the other because an app works better on a tablet or phone. Even still I've only spent maybe an extra $10 on additional apps.

What is a 12.2?

It's a comically oversized tablet to go with your comically oversized phone.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

KodiakRS posted:

So I'm going to be picking up an iPad for work. I have a few questions:

-Is there any reason to buy a "normal" iPad instead of an air other than price?

-Is external storage an option? 128G Seems like it would disappear in a hurry.

-Whats the goon consensus on buying a referbed iPad vs a new one?

-If I have an iPhone through sprint, and pay for their internet tethering service, is there a point to getting the version with cell service? Or is it cheaper to drop the tethering and just get the data service.

And before anyone asks, any electronics used at work have to go through a testing phase that lasts 3 months and costs thousands of $ which is why only the iPad is approved. As much as I would like to use an android tablet it's not an option.
The iPad 4 is perfectly fine, but the Air is better in pretty much every way (screens are comparable).

External storage is only really good for a few things, but 128 GB will hold a lot unless you're carrying tons of HD movies. My current iPad is a 32 GB, though previous ones I've had were 64 GB which I never ran out of space on. (32 is stretching it a bit, admittedly.)

Buy a refurb if it's available from Apple!

Sprint data speed and coverage are terrible, which is a factor, though if you're happy with it, I guess there's no reason to get the data model though they get a GPS which the wifi ones don't have.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Foma posted:

Thinking about returning the refurbed iPad Air I picked up. Not loving IOS and Google integration/digital button/widgets were nice to have. My current tablet is a Xoom, it works fine, but it is showing age and lagging. I would rather have pure android device than a overlay, but if it unobtrusive I am ok with it.

Hesitant to pay full price for the Nexus 10 when it is a bit of an older tablet (same cost as refurbed air) Samsung Note 10.1 2014 is a contender, but from the online things I've seen touchwiz looks like a painful overlay. If something good is coming down the pipe I can wait a couple months. Any thoughts?
Nothing has been announced for 10" Android tablets and there hasn't even really been many rumors.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

thehacker0 posted:

Thanks. The reason I am leaning towards mini is not the mass, but the size and convenience to hold it. I wont be using it on my lap or stand as much as held in one hand. Also, I feel that the smaller screen is plenty big, as I have pretty good eyes and in my experience with older versions of the kindle fire and regular size ipad, I never found myself wanting that extra screen size.

Opinions on retina vs the non retina mini? Probably leaning toward retina, but it is an extra hundred bucks
Don't get a non-retina. It's essentially a shrunken iPad 2 meaning it's three generations old technology and I wouldn't expect it to get updated much beyond the next major update.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

EAB posted:

Does the S Pen work on other android tablets or only the notes?

Is it fairly easy to put stock android on a note tablet and will the s pen still have the same functionality with stock android?
No idea how easy it is, and it might vary by specific tablet, but from what I understand, going to stock Android removes all the S-pen stuff and other S-hit.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Luminaflare posted:

Exactly how bad is the amazon app store?

Not great. Amazon is pretty developer unfriendly and have to verify every app and update that gets included, so it's a fraction of the Play store and everything is an older version. The big things are all there, but the Nexus 7 is still probably the better choice.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Blitter posted:

Wouldn't one of the new Chromebooks be better than another tablet for this?
I was about to ask if there's Chrome SSH clients but I looked it up and of course there are. So yeah, that's probably a better option than a cheap Windows 8 tablet, though finding one with built-in mobile data will severely cut down options for either, assuming that's how he's doing it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Daimo posted:

For me, mainly its because they're about $50 more than an ereader so why not - assuming you dont mind staring at an LCD. I was in the same position as you but decided a Nexus made more sense because I'm a geek. It basically comes down to: are you looking for a book/collection replacement or a companion device? You kinda already answered that.
What lovely tablet are you buying that is $100?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Daimo posted:

What lovely ereader were you buying for $50 in 2012?

Anyway perhaps somebody can explain if they've got better, but pdfs were awful on my kindle keyboard. In fact that was the main attraction for a Nexus - I've since discovered .epub to be the most universal format and never looked back.
Okay so to buy a tablet that is only $50 more than ereader, he just has to time travel to 2012. Good recommendation!

In any case, a basic Kindle is $50 (or $100 for a Paperwhite) right now and a Nexus 7 you *might* find for $180 if you wait for a sale. That's a pretty big difference in cost.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It reads directions to you. What are you checking while driving?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

People really liked the Anal Elf.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

There's a bunch of Windows 8 tablets with active digitizers, also, but with a few exceptions, they might be pushing your budget or size requirements.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

A Nexus 7.

If she need something bigger uhhhhh I guess Samsung's whatevers are not completely horrible?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

purple prime posted:

Is there a tablet that would be best suited for a Hearthstone and anime machine? I was thinking iPad but that can't use a external hard drive.
Well, Hearthstone isn't on Android yet, so right now your choices are an iPad or a Windows 8 tablet, though the touch controls are pretty janky on Win8 (since it doesn't have actual touch controls and just emulates a mouse) from what I read.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Oshata Hyotesti posted:

Can someone recommend me a tablet. I'm looking for a tablet I can use exclusively for music and maps in my car. So ideally I want expandable storage, gps, a 7in screen and relatively inexpensive. I already have an iPad so I'm not looking to use it for other tablet things. Thanks.

Nexus 7 with an OTG cable.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

GBA posted:

Could anyone recommend a good GRAPHICS tablet?

I'm cheap and poor and don't wanna spend $50+
It could be new or used; I don't really care.
It just needs to be in good condition and not be smaller than Jackie Chan's eyes.

thank you :)

P.S.: I'm not a professional artist and I use Windows 7

If you're looking for a Wacom or something similar, this is the wrong thread. There's probably a thread in SH/SC or CC that might offer some help on that, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rurutia posted:

I recently outfitted my house/guest room with Chromecasts, so I'm looking for a cheap tablet to use as a 'remote' for guests (and myself when I'm charging my phone etc). It doesn't need to be big, so 7 inches is fine. It doesn't need to have LTE, or cameras, or a nice screen. What I do need is a really long battery life.

I'd prefer something cheap. While my budget is flexible, something under $200 is preferred, and really something under $100 is what I want (lol).
You should be able to find a 2013 Nexus 7 for under $200 without much of a problem. For sure 2012 ones are there, and even a few on ebay under $100. You're not going to find anything else under $100 worth getting even for that limited use.