Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
So I see that the first gen iPad mini is actually explicitly not recommended - is it really that bad/outdated?

Basically I am looking to upgrade from my old sony e-reader, although I will likely do more than just read books (definitely need to be able to access epubs) though I don't know how heavy I will get with media/games.

As such, I don't really want to sink a ton into a tablet, I have an iPhone 5 and two computers that cover most of what I do. I don't want to waste that money either, though.

I can get a first gen iPad mini for $250 or a kindle fire for just shy of $200 (because ads are crap), but I really don't know which way to go.

Good info in the OP and good advice so far, thanks for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

1st AD posted:

The resolution on the OG iPad mini kind of stinks. Underpowered device too. For $250 you should get a 2013 Nexus 7 (which is actually $229 but w/e)

Is this price the one on eBay? I'm a bit leery of grabbing something without a solid return policy (just in case), but I may bite the bullet anyway.

I'm terribly indecisive, so thanks for the recommendations. I have an asus laptop and have been quite happy with it, so that's encouraging

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Dec 3, 2013

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Ah, the eBay deal is for the 32gb, sorry if I misunderstood

Edit: thanks waffle, I'm really not sure how my time on it will end up breaking down, I guess really my iPhone 5 covers a decent amount of the online stuff I do, and I'm trying to figure out how big of a difference a 7" screen would even make - I definitely want to avoid hassle over ebook file types though, don't plan to lock onto amazon only
apologies for rambling on

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Dec 3, 2013

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Is the kindle paperwhite still the recommended e-reader? I've had an iPad mini for a year or so but haven't ever used it for anything else, so I figure to pass it along to the wife and maybe pick one up when it goes on sale in the next week.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Last I heard, that's the best all-round for reading (easy on the eyes, etc.)? I'm not sure what other options one might look for. The file restriction is admittedly quite annoying but there look to be a few tools out there to help now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

berzerkmonkey posted:

For ebooks, I've never had a problem using Calibre to convert to a Kindle format. The only thing I don't like about the Kindle is the bookshelf (or lack thereof.) iBooks and Aldiko do a great sorting job, but the Kindle is a jumbled mess. The best you can do is manually sort books into folders, and its time consuming and a pain.

Does the screen quality/functionality outweigh that drawback? The screen, as I understood it, was the most superior piece. I'm certainly open to other suggestions, I just thought for a straight ebook, the paperwhite was the go-to these days.