Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I really like the idea of the Lenovo Duet, but also part of me just wants to cave and get the drat iPad. I'm leaning towards the Lenovo because of value, but I feel like I'm going to be missing something with the whole Apple apps experience - which has been sitting in the back of my mind for the last 10 years on Android.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

My tablet experience is Kindle Fire, which makes me hate tablets. I do like them as a concept and want one that actually works, and I don't need another actual laptop.

Aren't Android tablets just giant phones? I mean I've read they haven't put much effort into differentiating things, but I don't know.

I'm really just looking for something to use for media, video calls, browsing, and maybe messaging. The keyboard is a bonus. Having a legitimate web browser sounds nice.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Tbh I like my Lenovo Duet 5 Chromebook tablet better than any Android tablet I've used even though it's too big to use as a tablet.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

The latest Fire HD 8 is not a complete piece of poo poo, as they upped the specs to "tolerable" and it has USB-C charging. I just got my kid one on sale for $60 and it's leaps ahead of his previous 2019 version.

I have a 2018 and it's barely functional to say the least, and it's not due to age - it always sucked.

The biggest issue is the trappings of being stuck in Amazon's OS and app environment.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

meanolmrcloud posted:

How has this been? We’ve got to get a tablet for the kiddo to free up our phones, but I’ve been scarred by too many garbage laggy tablets to consider a non-iPad. If this does the trick, i might consider it.

The new one has been fine. It's slower than my phone, but my phone costs $900. The only problems are the quirks of Amazon's ecosystem. Like Prime video isn't available at all in Free Time kids mode. It's insane. Free Time is very easy to manage and works well otherwise, but you basically have to create a separate non-freetime profile if you want your kids to have access to Prime streaming. But that's something to consider - Free Time really locks everything down and you have to grant access to each item you want them to see. I believe you can exercise some level of parental controls on a standard profile.

The Amazon app store is better than it used to be, no issues there.

Battery life is crazy. He used it for almost 6 hours on a cross country flight and only used 30% battery.

Otherwise, it does what it's supposed to do. It's definitely not fast, but not at all frustrating. It can run all of the video stuff and no problems with kids games. Storage is small, like most of the other specs, but expandable. It has 3.5mm and USB-C.

For my 5 year old who doesn't do any web browsing or work, and only watches Disney+ and Netflix and PBS Kids, it's great.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Kindles are completely closed.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

ChromeOS is better on tablets than Android. Take that as you may.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

From people who have both: ChromeOS is a better Android tablet than Android tablets. I don't have any specifics to recommend, though.

I really like my Lenovo Duet 5. It's more of a detachable laptop than a true tablet. Its only 1080p though, and the size and extra-wide screen make it a bit unwieldy for handheld use. Its great to consume media though. They make a smaller version as well.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Spacegrass posted:

Is there a good or decent tablet that is under $100 and better than my current one? - (Fire tablet 2020 model, 2 gb of ram and quad core) I've seen a few generic ones on Amazon.

Fire tablets get a hardware update every? year. The current one is actually functional and has USB-C fast charging. You're still hamstrung by Amazon's app store and other app restrictions.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Kindle Kids edition is extremely locked down to the point of absurdity. Just give your kids admin access for your own sanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

The $130 Galaxy Tab A7 Lite from Costco is extremely adequate for watching movies on the airplane, but may be a little slow for day to day tableting. It's only 8.7 inch but I find larger devices to be unwieldy on the airplane tray table.