Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004
In a similar boat to that previous poster, but I'll throw up what I'm looking for anyway and see what folks have to say.

Looking for: Tablet to primarily use on vacation/in the plane/etc to consume media tv shows, movies, youtube, etc. Ideally Android as I'm a long time pixel user and very used to the ecosystem, apps, etc. For instance I often use Parsec or Google Remote desktop to remote into my PC and drop movies or TV shows into certain folders on my Synology server. Then I DL them directly to my device and play them via VLC player, I'm not sure how a lot of those types of interactions would work on an apple device. Most of what I'm referring to is obviously :files: and not streaming services, which again I'm not sure how a lot of those direct drag and drop type activites work on Apple, or if they are available at all.

In the long term, it would also get used around the house for email, general easy use type things checking stonks, watching youtube in the bathroom, etc. Nothing heavy use, I don't game on my phone so I don't ever forsee wanting to game on a tablet, I have a media center PC so I don't think I'd ever really need to screen share the table to a TV or other device, etc.

Realistically I would prefer to get away with something as cheaply as possible but with a nice, large, quality screen(10+inch). A lot of those Lenovo variants seem right up the alley from a pricepoint and screen size/resolution type situation, but then you read a few reviews and people say they run like poo poo, get no updates, have horrible built in software, etc. Then theres all the Samsung variants and the Huawei, Oneplus, etc type options so overall I'm pretty lost. My last tablet was one of those old Google Nexus tablets about a decade ago, should I just go ahead and get the new Pixel Tablet?

Edit: The ones I've been keeping tabs open on for instance are the Lenovo Tab P11 Pro Gen 2(6GB Ram, 128GB Storage for $339.99) , Samsung Galaxy Tab S7 FE(6GB RAM, 128GB Storage for $462.99) and Google Pixel Tablet(8GB Ram, 128GB Storage for $499.99) for reference. Am I on the right track at least?

100% Dundee fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Jul 29, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

FogHelmut posted:

The $130 Galaxy Tab A7 Lite from Costco is extremely adequate for watching movies on the airplane, but may be a little slow for day to day tableting. It's only 8.7 inch but I find larger devices to be unwieldy on the airplane tray table.

Devorum posted:

I have the A7 and agree it's fine if all you're using it for is watching media, but it's painful using it for anything else. It lacks a fingerprint reader, if that's important. It's a good tablet for watching YouTube while I paint miniatures.

Thank you both for soothing my worries that the lower end/cheaper type tablets would be more than sufficient for my purposes. I used a bestbuy giftcard that I had and ended up grabbing an Galaxy Tab S6 Lite(2022) edition from there for $245($145 after the giftcard) + tax and so far it's worked brilliantly in my preliminary testing for my purposes of consuming media! Threw in a 128GB MicroSD card that I had laying around from an old mp3 player to bump up the storage a bit, loaded it up with a bunch of tv shows and movies etc for my plane rides and vacation next week so I don't even have to worry about wifi or anything. Battery life seems great, screen is more than good enough for my purposes and it even plays 4k :files: just fine.

Much appreciated!