Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Are there any cheap Chinese unknown manufacturer garbage tablets with 8 or 9" screens? I need something just for reading digital comic books since my 2012 Nexus 7 died. I didn't use it for anything except comic books for the last year of its life so that's all I need from a tablet, but a bigger screen would be cool.

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Nov 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

MAKE WAY NEW STARS posted:

Are there any cheap Chinese unknown manufacturer garbage tablets with 8 or 9" screens? I need something just for reading digital comic books since my 2012 Nexus 7 died. I didn't use it for anything except comic books for the last year of its life so that's all I need from a tablet, but a bigger screen would be cool.

In the end I picked up an asus zenpad s (z580c) which has a really nice 8" screen and is basically the same form factor as an iPad mini but cost me £100 less and takes micro sdxc cards so I can fill it with 128gb of poo poo. Much higher resolution screen than the other 8" android tablets I looked at.

Anyone looking for a tablet around that size would do well try for that one, there's a revised model that just launched/is launching (z580ca) which has a slightly faster CPU and usb type c support so this one seems to be priced to clear out from most places.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I want to replace my Asus z580c.

Can't find anything with as nice a screen (1536x2048) in 8" without spending £300+ which is way more than I spent on this one and not what I really want to spend now if I can help it (but if I can't help it I'll just buy a Tab S2).

Needs microSD so ipads are out. Any ideas thread? Mostly used for reading comic books and web browsing, occasionally watching videos and photos.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Crossposting from the dedicated android thread because I’m running out of ideas

Where the gently caress are all the 8” android tablets without dogshit terrible 1280x800 screens?

My ageing Tab S2 is on its last legs and the only thing I can find to replace it with even a remotely acceptable resolution is a Lenovo Tab M8, which is already 2 android versions out of date and will likely never ever see an update even from the homebrew community from the looks of it since there doesn’t seem to be a single custom ROM out there.

I need microSD so an iPad mini is out, fwiw.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I’m not in the US so I didn’t see either of those when I searched Amazon, they’ll ship that first one outside the states though so I’ll roll the dice on it. Thanks!

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

If iPads supported microSD or even any kind of expandable storage at all they’d be perfect tablets.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

That sounds like a hell of a deal.

It’s hard to find a comics tablet that isn’t stupidly expensive for such a totally basic and easy use case.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Yeah but then you have to have a stupid thing hanging out the side all the time and you can’t charge it with your storage connected

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Oh yeah I forgot that paying an extra 10x or more of the cost of the storage to have it built in so you can’t just swap it out for a bigger option in the future, or even just swap in a completely different card if you have more than one that you want to use, is totally a cool and perfect solution.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

ihop posted:

That's so sad. My old nexus 7 was my favorite media device and I'm sure I'm not alone in missing it. I check this thread every time there's a burst of posts in hopes there's discussion about some new, decent ~8" Android tablet on the horizon. It baffles me that that niche has remained unfulfilled for so long.

Everyone has giant phones which are close enough to the 7-8” space that nobody can be bothered to make a good tablet in the correct size anymore.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Is there a way to have a Kindle Fire read other types of ebooks such as .epub without enabling "Allow Installation of Applications from Unknown Sources" and installing a third party app?

Or is there a desktop app that can just convert everything to .mobi?

Calibre will do this on desktop

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

If work is paying then it’s whatever is most expensive, duh

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I got over my 8” obsession and switched to a 10” fireHD that I only use for comics and pdfs and it’s great. Battery life is bananas, I read for an hour or two every night (admittedly with power save on because I don’t need the wifi or any of the other poo poo) and it barely dips.

I guess if you wanted to install a bunch of other apps on it and use it for other stuff it would be annoying being trapped in amazon’s App Store or having to side load stuff constantly but since my entire use case was satisfied by immediately side loading comicrack and tachiyomi I didn’t have to worry about that.

Just buy one when Amazon slash the prices in their millionth sale of the year and you can’t really go wrong.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

It’s a little heavier than I prefer but I wouldn’t say unbearably so.

Plus I read laying on my side in bed a lot so that takes some of the lifting out of it :v:

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

You just don’t get a lot of bang for your buck in the 8” space, presumably because the proliferation of giant slab phones is already fulfilling a lot of small tablet tasks for a lot of people.

It’s either budget Android poo poo that is exactly that or an iPad mini or Android tablet that costs basically the same as the equivalent iPad but is also probably 3 years old and no longer being updated.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Trabant posted:

I'm looking at the Fire HD 10 for "watch videos while traveling" purposes -- any thoughts on how it handles that?

I'm mostly thinking YouTube (which I guess I'd have to sideload) and video files I'd transfer to the tablet.

I actually got a second one for my wife to watch tv shows in bed and it’s pretty much perfect, either from local storage or streaming off my NAS (raw file transfer, no plex transcoding or anything like that) up to 1080p and haven’t had any issues just using VLC.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

You don’t need to root or hack anything to put PDFs on it that’s just regular use :confused:

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

I don't really agree with this at all beyond size. Kindles can display B&W graphics just fine, just not color and other than the big one, they're all small.

But also even a cheap iPad will do it better and yeah there's no need to root anything for a regular rear end PDF?

I would say Kindles suck rear end for PDF in my experience because of how PDFs are sometimes just created as just big rear end flat ‘images’ or whatever for each page with all the text on the ‘image’ instead of being actual text documents that the kindle can flow into pages properly.

Any cheap tablet would be fine though.

What kind of books are you reading that are only available in PDF though? Virtually everything is mobi or epub and a kindle will do just fine with those (although you might have to put them on it with calibre or something I dunno I’ve never just dumped the raw files onto the kindle and I think calibre does some converting).

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Oct 14, 2023

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Genuinely, for what?

In my experience it really isn’t common at all outside of off the top of my head magazine scans, textbooks and poo poo like RPG sourcebooks because those all have a bunch of images or tables and diagrams in them instead of just being plain text.

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Oct 14, 2023

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

mobi has absolutely been a thing since the early 00s so I have no idea where you got 2016 from

In either case a kindle/e-reader with e-ink display isn’t a great idea for PDFs because of the way the pages are formatted.

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Oct 14, 2023

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Just about everything that isn’t an iPad loving sucks for anything except consuming media. Sometimes they even suck for that.

I say this as someone who doesn’t own an iPad so you know I’m not just being a weird Apple guy!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

jokes posted:

The only reason to not get an iPad is if you have a very specific, probably high-level use case or you're trying to buy the cheapest device by far. Liking Apple or not, the iPad is categorically the best tablet for 99% of people.

That being said, I had an A7 and it was fine I guess but Android loving sucks.

I like having expandable storage because the cost of whatever ok tablet plus a giant sd card is way less than an iPad with the same amount of storage.

If they made an iPad with a microsd card slot then I’d probably just buy an iPad, except knowing Apple it would only be available on the Super iPad Pro Plus 8k edition or whatever the gently caress and I still wouldn’t wanna pay that much for it.