Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I want to give my parents an iPad Air to replace their aging iMac since 99% of their use is Facebook, iPhoto, and Skype. The only problem I see so far is trying to work out how to get their iPhoto library onto the iPad. Will Photostream and a beefier iCloud account work okay for this and will this provide a full resolution backup of the photos? They only have lovely P&S cameras so I'm not worried about running out of storage. And will there be any way of importing camera photos directly onto the iPad with some kind of adapter or card reader?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

If you need a bigger tablet buy an iPad. Seriously, there are hardly any tablet optimized apps for Android.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Get the new iPad Air. I just got one for my mom and it's just a lot nicer than the Nexus 10, and the 4:3 ratio makes PDF and ebook reading really nice.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Any reason you're in need of all that space? I'd go with the retina iPad mini in any case, it's a nicer device than the new Nexus 7 and the screen is better suited to reading books and documents.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Eh, I think the Mini does a better job for PDF's, it's a wash on books.

I mean it's not so much better that I'd chuck my Nexus 7, but if I were purchasing a new device I'd go for the Mini.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

The resolution on the OG iPad mini kind of stinks. Underpowered device too. For $250 you should get a 2013 Nexus 7 (which is actually $229 but w/e)

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

It's $229 new. Less with coupons or whatever.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

No I refuse to accept that even such a thing exists.

I do like my Nexus 7, but I don't think I would recommend one over the retina iPad mini unless money was an issue or there was something in the Android ecosystem tying them down. And if the new iPads had been released earlier I would've bought one.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

A small App Store is a real serious limitation. Very few people need to work on documents in a tablet sized device.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

The new Mini is pretty sweet, for most uses I think I even prefer having a smaller device than the iPad Air. It's smaller and easier to hold and while the Air is pretty drat light I think the smaller form factor makes the Retina Mini a better device to carry around.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Get the 2013 Nexus 7

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

The Nooks ARE laggy but if you're happy with what you had before, the HD+ won't really be any different.

The new Nexus 7 is the fastest tablet in it's class (that's not an iPad anyways), and it's pretty cheap, get that unless you can't stand to miss a larger screen.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

A stylus is almost useless on the Nexus 7 since there's no pen digitizer.

Don't some of the new Atom-based Windows tablets have stylus support?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

EugeneJ posted:

Nook HD+ - awesome large screen, MicroSD slot, $149

Slow as balls, screen may constantly redraw in certain memory intensive apps like Facebook

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

You're absolutely correct there. The Nexus 7 is probably the best Android tablet out right now, but it's not better than the new Retina Mini. And the Air is just awesome.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

You should ignore him, Surface RT is a real bad product.

iOS is great for tablet usage and the app ecosystem is very mature.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Rent posted:

Of course the app ecosystem is mature after 5 years, but I said I don't like the actual OS and prefer navigation in Windows 8. No reason to get defensive.

Who's being defensive? Stop trying to assign motives to people's posting.

And time has nothing to do with why iOS has more useful app development; Android I believe has been available for nearly as long but there are huge differences in every category from productivity apps to games. And Android really badly lags behind in tablet-optimized apps (which I believe isn't an issue with WinRT or Win8 proper).

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Styluses suck on capacitive screens with no pen digitizer

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

ShaneB posted:

My Early 2008 macbook is essentially on its last legs of viability. I'm not sure if an iPad + keyboard attachment would be all-around better than something like a used mid-2011 11.6" macbook air 1.6ghz for $600ish? I really would want a real keyboard, but the portability/ease of use aspect of something like an iPad mini is really appealing...

Anyone with anecdotal experience is welcome to chime in.

What do you use your Macbook for currently? And what would you like to do that you can't do (or is currently difficult to do)?

I have a 2009 Macbook Pro that works great for browsing, video watching, and some light photo/video editing, definitely not my main machine for any of these tasks though.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

If you're going to get a small tablet you should get the retina iPad mini. It's really the best one available. If you want to save some bucks I guess get the 2013 Nexus 7, but don't buy anything else unless you need to have a pen digitizer.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

That doesn't look awful. Not enough to make me buy a Samsung tablet, but it's a step in the right direction at least.

1st AD fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Feb 10, 2014

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

lmao the source quoted isn't actually a source and just bullshit rumor mongering.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

midnightclimax posted:

What's the cheapest option if all I want to do is play chess apps, and "maybe" read a little? No multimedia. Although a SIM-card slot would be cool, but not necessary.

You mean a micro SD slot right? If so, one of the Nook HD's would be perfect and cheap.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Go to a gym and lift weights. You're not going to push yourself if you're just going to veg out on a recumbent bike or something equally lame.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

In that case, I guess a Nexus 7 LTE? Sharp screen, plenty fast for chess.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

midnightclimax posted:

Nah, way too pricy. The price range I'm looking for is sub 100 USD. But whatever, I'll just get a cheapo discount supermarket tablet when they're back.

I don't think there's any tablets that can take a SIM at that price, period, unless you're looking at several years old models.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

The newer Nexus 7 has a higher resolution display and much better hardware.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Are you talking the old one or the new Retina one?

The new one is fantastic, I wouldn't recommend the old one at all.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

If you want to run Lightroom you're pretty much stuck with a Windows 8 tablet/touch laptop. I think Adobe is working on a Lightroom port, and there are a few iOS and Android apps that can edit raws, but none of them are going to have the same functionality as Lightroom.

What's your budget?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

The iPad air is just about as light as the retina Mini, so consider that as well. But the new Retina Mini is a great device and you can't go wrong with it. The only Android equivalent I would consider is the 2013 Nexus 7. It's cheaper, lighter, and Androidy-er. Just remember there are a dearth of tablet-optimized Android apps compared to iOS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Whats a good writing stylus for the iPad Air 2? I have the Pencil by 53 which works well for drawing, but the stylus only does the palm-rejection with their own app and their app only works in landscape mode. Ideally the stylus would work with the Notes app.