Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug
Sony Xperia Z? I would just buy as 32GB tablet and call it done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

Rad Valtar posted:

Thanks for this, are there a bunch of options to choose with the iPad mini and what ones should I look out for? Also is the 7.9 inch screen a good size?

You want to get the iPad Mini with Retina the regular $299 iPad Mini is pretty long in the tooth and worth the $100 to upgrade. The one thing you lose with the Kindle apps instead of Kindle hardware is the Kindle Lending Library for Prime customers.

Another option might be a Nexus 7 2013 and an e-ink Kindle (regular or PaperWhite). However, you lose access to the Amazon Instant Video library because that doesn't have an Android application but does have an iOS version.

If 7.9 is a good size really depends. If you are reading a lot of large fixed size documents (PDF, comics, etc) it might be too cramped. I like my iPad 4 for reading lots of technical e-books which are generally better in PDF because of code samples and pictures. If you are mostly reading novels it will be fine. My wife reads a lot of novels on her Nexus 7 2013.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

soap. posted:

My boyfriend is an electrician and he is looking for a tablet for work. Sturdiness is a plus. He can't use Android because of some software he uses. He would prefer not to have an iPad unless there is some particular benefit. He would like 4G. Being able to hand-write notes (what's it called? Digitizer pen or something?) is a plus. A decent resolution is a must, so he can show things to clients on it, including text. He needs it mostly for his pricing software, parts lists, swiping credit cards and processing checks, and for emails. Our budget is open.

What software is he using? That's probably going to dictate if you are going to need a Windows 8 tablet or an iPad.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

eddiewalker posted:

I don't see any mention of an iPad Air recall after several searches. Are you sure you didn't see a MacBook Air recall?

I couldn't find any either. If there's an iPad Air recall it'd be plastered all over the news

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

My wife and I are looking at a tablet for the family. It would be primarily used for movies, general browsing, music and apps/games for my toddler daughters. We already have IPhones so we are leaning towards an apple product (but are not married to the idea) so what is the best tablet to be looking at?

Also, if you mention an IPad, I have a question. Since we already have apple IDs, if we get an IPad will we have to repurchase the apps we have bought or can we just download it to the iPad?

A Nexus 7 wouldn't be bad just because it's "cheap" so if it gets broken you aren't out a lot of cash. However, you could probably find a tough case for an iPad to make it "toddler proof". If you do buy an iPad any apps you bought on your AppleID will be downloaded. Note sometimes apps will have separate iPad and iPhone only versions.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug
Buy her a PC or cheap laptop. Your going to have trouble with storing pictures on it and probably Chinese TV that needs Flash to work. If you go the iPad route I'd say a 32 GB iPad and a cloud storage provider account (Dropbox or iCloud) to keep the photos. Don't forget the photo dongle unless her camera is an iPhone then things will be smoother.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

Heathen posted:

I'm interested in picking up a tablet. It'll mainly be used for reading comics and the occasional Netflix. I'm looking for something 10 inches or bigger because I don't think comics would read well on a small screen. Would 16G be enough space for comics or would 32G be too much? I don't know how big comic files are. Price isn't an issue but obviously I don't want to spend $1200 for a tablet when I can get one that does everything I need for $600. Battery life and weight aren't important. This will be quick bed reading before sleep. I'm not opposed to an iPad but I have nothing else with iOS and I am used to Android.

Samsung 10.1 2014 edition, 12.2 or other?

I would do a refurb 32gb iPad Air from the Apple Store for $509. If you want to do a Samsung Note 10.1 2014 that's fine but I think the Air is a better tablet. The Note wins out if you want a digitizer and stylus. I think 16gb is tight on a tablet. It's definitely doable I have an iPad 4 16gb but like when I'm traveling I wish I had 32 just for a little extra breathing room. Having both platforms can be annoying for paid apps but generally I pick one platform or the other because an app works better on a tablet or phone. Even still I've only spent maybe an extra $10 on additional apps.

What is a 12.2?

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

KodiakRS posted:

So I'm going to be picking up an iPad for work. I have a few questions:

-Is there any reason to buy a "normal" iPad instead of an air other than price?

-Is external storage an option? 128G Seems like it would disappear in a hurry.

-Whats the goon consensus on buying a referbed iPad vs a new one?

-If I have an iPhone through sprint, and pay for their internet tethering service, is there a point to getting the version with cell service? Or is it cheaper to drop the tethering and just get the data service.

And before anyone asks, any electronics used at work have to go through a testing phase that lasts 3 months and costs thousands of $ which is why only the iPad is approved. As much as I would like to use an android tablet it's not an option.

Price is the only reason to get an iPad 4 instead of the iPad Air. The Air is superior in every respect.

You can get WiFi drives as external storage but that's only useful for certain files mostly movies.

Always buy refurb Apple products they look new and come with a 1 year warranty. I believe the screen/body is even new.

The one draw back from tethering is it's a huge battery drain on your phone. If you only use it once in a while I say tethering is fine but if you are going to be constantly tethering your phone I'd get the cellular radio in the iPad. You can also get the iPad on a different carrier so if Sprint sucks in an area maybe Verizon or AT&T will be better.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

Zev posted:

:eyepop: Those things are monsters! I might have to save up, I was prepared to spend somewhere around $700... ha. Also, Windows or android?

Most tablets are meant to sit at home or at an office. If you really need one to be washed in a sink you are going outside the operatational capabilities of an iPad or Nexus 7. I'd tell work to stick the stipend up their butts and to purchase you the equipment. I wouldn't put my own money into equipment that is needed for an environment like a mill. Also, the Toughbooks and Toughpads kind of suck as a consumer device. For Toughpad/book money you could get a tricked out Surface Pro 3 or 13"/15" MacBook Pro which are better devices but they will die in your environment.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

Mexican Deathgasm posted:

Thanks for the info. But when I look up info on the N7, sites are saying that while it can do cellular data, it can't do cell phone calls.

No tablet does. You need to use Google Voice/Hangouts VOIP to make your tablet pretend to be a cell phone. I don't think any tablet has the guts of a phone built into it

EDIT: VVVVVVV Still need a phone

gariig fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Oct 16, 2014

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

irlZaphod posted:

Is the Surface Pro 4 worth the money? My Nexus 7 has been performing terribly for ages and I could probably use a new laptop. I'd been thinking of replacing both with a SP4 but it just seems like I could probably get a tablet and laptop for cheaper.

I was looking at the higher end ones because I'd probably want to throw Visual Studio on it and pretend to myself that I'm definitely going to work on some personal projects after coding all day in work. :v:

Other usage would just be general video streaming, Web browsing, email, Office stuff.

Would one of the cheaper ones do the job?

I'm jealous of my wife's i5/8gb/256 which is $999 a Microsoft with a Type Cover (normally like $100)...which is a pretty good deal

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug
For text only items a Kindle or a Kobo (review comparing the two) are the "best".That's the higher end Kobo but at gives you a perspective of Kindle or not Kindle e-reader. However, they aren't great for PDFs because a PDF is meant to be a piece of paper and a kindle is way smaller. You'll probably want some sort of table for any PDF or comics. You can try something like the Remarkable 2 as an e-ink tablet but you won't have color.

Can always get both

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

Hadlock posted:

Yeah we bought an iPad air 4th gen when they came out fall of 2020. All the new ipads have USB-C charging so it's not as big a deal that it's an apple product. It's great build quality and lightning fast, a refurbished model will save you a ton of money. I hate apple products but iPad is king

Note only the Air and Pro have USB-C the basic iPad is still lightning. I forget if the Mini is USB-C or Lightning. Still that tablet looks like trash, I'd probably go with a Amazon Fire Tablet if an iPad is too much.

EDIT: VVVVV If you have a USB-C iPad you can plug in an external drive and it will work most anywhere. At least the Files app can see it

gariig fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Aug 23, 2022

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug
What's wrong with an iPad 9th generation it's $250 from Costco brand new? Honestly at this point for most people you have to say why it doesn't work before you should buy a tablet that's not an iPad or a Fire Tablet because of price. I will say the 10th generation is a little too spendy

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

Ihmemies posted:

My father wants a tablet so he can show photos and videos to friends. So I guess he needs one with a large memory or sd card support, because cloud is no no Maybe a 9th gen 256gig ipad would do the job?

Can you give a little more detail about how dad is taking photos? Is it a smart phone, dedicated camera, multiple cameras, GoPro, etc.
How is he storing photos? Also why no cloud? Are the photos on a PC? Are they on a nas? Dropbox?
What's the plan to access the photos that dad is taking? If it's a camera with physical media you'll need to get something to read the physical media on a iPad. Android tablets might have sd card slot but need to make sure it's the right type. Micro SD card slot but camera is SD... Still in Toggle Town.
Also is this to show at home? Take to a friend's house?
I'd tell you to use iCloud photo library or Google photos and use appropriate apps on appropriate hardware to view the photos. However, you said no cloud so this is going to get way more difficult

gariig fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jan 27, 2023

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Did the Pixel Tablet turn out to be worth a drat, or is it yet another failed attempt to provide an alternative to "suck it up and buy an iPad"?

I think it's closer but that's mostly because the "latest generation" iPad got a price bump from $329 (9th generation) to $449. Comparing sale prices the new iPad is $399 and the Pixel Tablet is $419. I think if you are just going to watch streaming video and most other consumption (reading books/comics, listening to music, etc) the iOS vs Android app store disparity isn't as great. I think if you try to do "productivity" work, I find the iOS apps to be superior to Android once you leave Google (Gmail, Docs, etc) and Microsoft ecosystem.

The coolest feature of the Pixel Tablet is it can be a Chromecast receiver as well, which is how I use the tablet the most. Cast something from my phone (Youtube, Spotify, Plex, Disney+, etc) to the Pixel Tablet docked. There are some security checks that you'll need the currently logged in user to unlock the tablet and accept the security prompt, spouse and I just picked the same pin number.

Speaking of multi-user support for the Pixel Tablet the implementation is crap. If you aren't the currently logged in user you have to switch to your user by clicking around on the tablet, which is annoying when docked. So basically it doesn't get used for personal stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug
If casting works for you get a Chromecast, I think they are like $50.