Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Please match my tablet hardware and software to this use case:

Takes pictures and videos with a built-in camera.

Allows viewing of pictures and videos.

Pictures and videos can be transferred (I guess. Not really that important)

I basically want a camera for my kid, but a large viewing screen is more important than camera quality.

I don't think there's any of-the-shelf tablet that is this barebones. If it doesn't have network capabilities, all the better, but I doubt any such product exists unless I want to make my own Raspberry Pi device with a custom OS configuration.

Could I buy a bargain-basement Android tablet and turn off everything except a camera and photo app?

Is there one with a relatively decent camera (8MP stills and 1080 video) and screen (~300ppi) that's ruggedized or compatible with a decent case? Any recommendations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

Get a used iPhone or iPad , like a SE 2020 or a 11 or 12 or N iPad 8 or 9th gen. You can lock iPhone and ipad poo poo down to just pictures and videos with parental controls.

As a bonus, depending on how you set it up you can probably track it when on WiFi with find my iPhone too.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201304

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201084#:~:text=Enter%20the%20child's%20name%20and,or%20their%20Game%20Center%20nickname.

Yeah I guess Guided Access has all the lockdown capabilities that I want, and the camera is more than enough. I was thinking about going lower-end due to potential for rough handling but if it has an otterbox or something that would probably protect it enough. Thanks.

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

A friend of mine wanted basically the same for her kids (6 and 8). They ended up getting second-hand digital cameras for next to nothing. The screens are tiny and crappy though. They really would probably have a nicer time using small-ish tablets, but on the other hand they didn't spend anything and don't care if they get smashed because the pictures are on the SD card.

This would honestly be a good option for less money. As long as it has a tiny sensor with fast shutter response and no need to wait on focus.