Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Considering a new tablet, and trying to talk myself down from the Surface Pro.

I currently have a Tab S3, and while I like it...I don't like the experience of writing on it. It's too smooth. I also get annoyed with not being able to run Windows software. I have an aging, heavy laptop and it sucks to lug it around when I need Windows functionality.

Is a Surface Pro worth the money, or should I hold out for the Tab S5 and live with carrying my laptop? I'm deep in the Android ecosystem, so iPad is out. I'd mostly be using it for internet and streaming video with occasional need for office productivity software and Photoshop/Sketchbook.

Also, does anyone have any experience with the reMarkable or any other e-writing tablets or notebooks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Hoping this is the right thread for Surface recommendations.

I bought a SP6 in early 2019, and underestimated how much I'd love it. Because of that, I got one on the lower end, and it's starting to struggle RAM-wise.

Now that the leaks show no significant form factor upgrade to the 8, should I pick up a 7 when they go on sale...and go with the 8 for the Tiger Lake CPUs, Xe graphics, and larger storage capacity?

I looked at the X, but I don't really think the 32/64 emulation is what I'm looking for.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

The laptop thread in SH/SC is probably better for Surface questions.

Thanks. I wasn't quite sure since it's a tablet form factor.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Gangringo posted:

I need a new tablet for my 82 year old grandmother. She can get around on her kindle fire 10 inch okay enough, and likes the big screen, but complains about how heavy it is to hold up for long periods of time. Is there a large screen tablet out there that is particularly light?

I think the Fire 10, iPad Air, and Tab 7 are about the lightest 10" tablets, at 432, 437 and 490 grams respectively.

The iPad Pro is ~650 grams.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

El Mero Mero posted:

also, I got a referral link from them today. So if anyone was planning on picking one up feel free to use this link for 4 x :10bux: off

How is it for note taking? I'm torn between the Remarkable and the Supernote.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Wibla posted:

Not gonna lie, the Supernote looks like a reMarkable 1 knockoff :v:

Yeah, but most reviewers say it's far superior for note taking and it also has a ceramic nib pen that never wears down.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

So I went ahead and got the Supernote A5X after getting to try a friend's Remarkable 2 and being a little underwhelmed by it.

It's absolutely amazing. I love everything about it. It doesn't feel or look as nice as the Remarkable, but the writing experience is just streets ahead in every way. I've had it for a month and it's effectively replaced all of my paper notebooks and planners. The Heart of Metal pen with the forever nib is next level as far as writing feel goes.

I highly recommend it for anyone looking for an e-ink tablet. I'm already considering getting the A6X to have a more portable version.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Vier posted:

I am thinking of getting a reMarkable tablet https://remarkable.com/ but after you include the pen and folio its quite expensive.
Are there any cheaper solutions for note taking that can live sync with a desktop app such as OneNote, preferably with a paper like screen.

I tried a reMarkable, and did not care for it. It's 100% form over function. The pen is absolutely awful, and the writing experience is just okay.

I also tried a Boox and a SuperNote after returning the reMarkable. Both are far superior to it, but none are really cheap. The SuperNote does not yet support live sync, but it's my favorite of the bunch and the one I stuck with. The writing experience is divine, especially with their special "forever" pen nibs. The Boox was very good, and does sync with OneNote.

reMarkable is also going to a subscription model, which sucks.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

FogHelmut posted:

The $130 Galaxy Tab A7 Lite from Costco is extremely adequate for watching movies on the airplane, but may be a little slow for day to day tableting. It's only 8.7 inch but I find larger devices to be unwieldy on the airplane tray table.

I have the A7 and agree it's fine if all you're using it for is watching media, but it's painful using it for anything else. It lacks a fingerprint reader, if that's important. It's a good tablet for watching YouTube while I paint miniatures.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

The Voice of Labor posted:

great for text is the exact reason I'm looking for a kindle, e-ink or whatever they called the screen. I need a thing I can stuff in my pocket and read books on. my geriatric ipad would do the job, but it's a little too big to stuff in a pocket and I deeply dislike needing to run itunes to transfer stuff to it

E-reader good for PDF and able to easily fit in a pocket don't really go well together. In my experience, you want to biggest screen possible since scrolling isn't great/available

Like, I can put PDFs on my Oasis or Paperwhite, but I wouldn't call it a great experience.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

The Voice of Labor posted:

all the scans of stuff that's been out of print forever also everything on my hdd. epub's only been a format since 2007 and mobi's only been a thing since 2016. mobi or epub might be better formats now but 10 years ago they weren't the default options.

.mobi is older than .epub by a couple of years, actually.

Regardless, just get a program (Calibre) to convert pdf to epub if you're insistent on reading ebooks from 2004 and earlier. Using pdf for ebooks on a normal size e-reader is a miserable experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Did the Pixel Tablet turn out to be worth a drat, or is it yet another failed attempt to provide an alternative to "suck it up and buy an iPad"?

I have one and I like it a lot. Not sure how it compares to an iPad, but it slots very well into the gap between the Samsung A line and S line.

For the price, and with the included speaker+charging dock, I think it's kind of hard to beat, value wise.