Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account
Recommending tablets (in real life, to people who solicit my advice) is killing me:

:haw: Hey, you know about electronics stuff! I want to get a tablet for my dad, what should I get him? We have to be able to buy it TODAY.
:) : iPad Air
:haw: How much are those?
:) : $500
:haw: That's too much, I'm not getting that
:) : Well, if they don't mind a smaller tablet, you can get a iPad Mini Retina or Nexus 7 - this year's version.
:haw: : Ok, thanks!

:) : So did you guys end up getting him something?
:haw: : We sure did!
:) : Oh, cool!
:haw: : Yeah, it's Insignia Brand, from Best Buy!

:suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005

crazkylo posted:

What if I went for $200-250 on just the portfolio tablet? I can work on getting the other one once my wallet has had a little bit of time to recover.

I prefer Android because I am more familiar with its OS

Nook HD+,9" IPS 1080P screen, $40-$50ish used on ebay.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005

RVProfootballer posted:

It's a massive pain to actually use one of these. So slow and janky. If you're going old and cheap and slow but nice screen, a Nexus 10 is probably the worst/oldest I'd recommend, and it's pretty slow at this point.

I would normally agree, but it sounds he's just using it to do a slideshow. It should be more than enough for that.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Honestly my thought process hasn't gotten that far. Either that or a keyboard, but I suppose a tablet definitionally doesnt have one?

I spend a lot of time going places (that don't necessarily have electric outlets) and taking notes once I get there on paper pads and then typing the notes up when I return, so I'd like to short cut that process if possible, not picky how.

There's a million options for standalone bluetooth keyboards in a variety of form factors, or many option for keyboard covers. If you want to keep the form factor smaller I'd try to find something with a keyboard cover, otherwise pick a tablet you like and buy a standalone keyboard. I have one that folds that stays relatively small, but would add to thickness.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...d=1SH9ZEWXQ27C8

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

On further thought and research: from what i can figure out, what I really want is basically the cancelled Surface Mini -- basically a portable electronic moleskine. What's the closest available equivalent?

Sorry I keep asking new questions, y'all are helping me refine it what I actually want. As tempting as the surface book is from a gadgetry perspective it's too big, I need jacket pocket size at the largest, like 4 x 7 inches or so.

This one is older, but was the first thing to come to mind. I'm not recalling many other 8" tablets with "real" stylus support.

https://www.windowscentral.com/unboxing-toshiba-encore-2-write-tablet-wacom

Looks like there was also a Venue 8 Pro with Active stylus support.

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln287170/using-a-stylus-with-dell-venue-tablets?lang=en

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
One of my better eBay deals was getting a Cube i7 Stylus for $90. Only issue was a dent in the bottom of the keyboard base.

It's pretty cool, and also works as a Hackintosh (no stylus support, sadly).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005

jonathan posted:

Tablet chat: someone gave me a Samsung Galaxy View yesterday.

It's a fucken 19" tablet. I think I'll use it as a media player during standby time at work.

I had a Nabi BigTab (24") which was sort of cool for the intended purpose of kids games/drawing. Doing a Video hangout with someone's giant head was fun too.