Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Haven't had an iPad since the iPad 2 in 2011 or so. But I would like a tablet sometime soon.

I switched from iPhone back to android because the Pixel 6 was such good value, and I've got a Windows PC and laptop. Will there be a load of tiny ecosystem clash type things that will build up and annoy me if I get an iPad instead of a Galaxy or whatever android tablet? Because iPads just seem like the best tablets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Annath posted:

I'm looking for a tablet that will basically serve to read comics and occasionally ebooks. That's basically it.

I had a Tab A5(? I think?), and it was too slow - it took a while to boot and the interface was laggy.

Any suggestions on a good tablet for this usecase?

Depending on your budget, I'd suggest maybe a previous generation base iPad or iPad mini

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Ham Equity posted:

Why iPad over Kindle Fire?

Because tablets are mostly media consumption devices - it's not like your PC or a workhorse device or whatever - you want a nice screen and a fast and snappy experience which feels nice to hold, and the poster wants an interface that doesn't lag or feel like you're fighting against it, which is iPadOS in a nutshell. It's the thing you get for trading the openness of android (although are Kindles that open?)

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

MrOnBicycle posted:

I had a Surface Pro 3 when it was current and it was , to be frank, poo poo (and expensive). I checked out the Pro 8 and even the cheapest one is more than twice as much as the Tab S8+. But I guess you get a keyboard Nevermind, it's another $200 oof.
If Android is that horrible on tablets I think I'll skip it. I'd mainly use it for watching stuff, take notes, probably some lighter gaming e.t.c. Basically what my iPad pro ended up doing but at half the price.
I'll watch some more reviews. Thanks!

Apparrently Android's getting a tablet focused revamp as part of Android 13 - including things that apple already does well like copy/paste between your phone and tablet. Should be more info about the Pixel tablets before the end of the year, if you're able to hold out.

But as others say, the quality of apps is just as important. I can't speak to that, but I do suffer through any mismatch between my Android phone and iPad pro because the iPad is just so together in terms of its apps and experience (even if stage manager - its new multitasking desktop-alike feature, needs a lot of work still).

Aside from missing out on little things like app hand off, iMessage and copy/paste between devices, I have found that the walled garden isn't as closed as you'd think. A lot of apps have their own cross-platform cloud stuff, Google has some pretty good widgets, etc. I'll probably end up swapping for an iphone as opposed to swapping for an android tablet though.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
There isn’t much of a difference between the 11 iPad Pro and the iPad Air besides refresh rate and storage size. If most of your work sits in the cloud and you’re not planning on loading it up with games, 64gb is probably fine.

As for whether to get a laptop instead, it really depends on your workflow. If you multitask a lot in a way that involves quickly flitting between multiple windows, then an iPad probably won’t be as useful as a laptop, unless they do something really remarkable with their new Stage Manager feature, which is unlikely - and at any rate it’s going to take a while for apps to rejig themselves to make the most of it. I’ve sold my laptop in favour of an iPad, because my work often involves focusing on one document (or two), and I’m easily distractedly, so tbe added focus will be welcome. But I’ll definitely miss having access to certain software.

Is the way you use your computer fundamentally similar to the way you use your phone, in terms of focussing on a single full-screen app at s time? If the answer is yes then the iPad Air or pro are the best portable computers on the market.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Testicle Masochist posted:

Hmm

I like to have multiple things displayed simultaneously. Its useful for my workflow to be able to have information to reference without switching between apps.
Like having a browser or documents open with research on second monitor while I’m typing on my primary screen.

But I’m thinking about the way I use my computer and realising even with a MacBook I won’t be able use it the same way, it isn’t going to be big enough to display multiple programs like that and I’ll likely be frustrated trying to use it like my PC.

I struggle with using my phone, I switch between apps a lot and get distracted and forget what I’m doing frequently. But it still sounds like an iPad may be more useful for me than a MacBook.

The idea was always that a tablet would be easier to use in bed than a phone, not to completely replace using my PC, and an iPad will definitely beat the MacBook in comfort of use.

Thanks for the advice, it was extremely helpful.

iPads have like a side by side panels thing - you can have up to 3 apps open at the same time. On my 11’’ I’ll often have a main doc taking up 2/3 of the screen and my notes on another 1/3. I imagine that’s a lot more functional on the bigger iPad.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

spookygonk posted:

Any point in getting a cheap iPad Mini 4th gen or should I save for a 5th gen?

Recently clearing out some boxes I found my original iPad 1st gen and while it works, I guess it's not going to be good for anything.

If my old iPad 2 is any indication, that era of tablets hit a wall with iOS updates where they became essentially unusable.

People seem to really like the iPad mini though. I have a regular sized iPad Pro, but I had an epiphany the other day when I realised that when I’m reading web articles etc I’m basically always scrolling and only reading the same top 1/3 of the screen.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Qubee posted:

Crossposting from a different thread.

I was about to go buy a $1000 Samsung tablet to help me at work, thankfully they were sold out and I had an epiphany on my drive home. Why the gently caress am I spending a grand on a glorified drawing tablet, when the only functionality I need from it is the ability to let me draw (accurately) on PDF documents. So I thought surely there must be a much cheaper alternative? I don't need a tablet. I just want to be able to open PDFs and annotate them / draw on them neatly and accurately. I chose such an expensive tablet because the screen quality is great and it's 14.something inches. But could I not just get one of those digital pads that artists use to draw on their computers? I could just plug that into my work laptop and annotate to my heart's desire.

Pic below is what I need it for. I usually hand draw this all on A3 paper but if I make a mistake (which I do often), it's a huge pain in the rear end as I gotta redraw everything from scratch. Doing it digitally on PDF would be way easier as I can just cut stuff, elongate, shift it around, copy paste. It would also help my document organization as right now I've got like 16 A3 pages on my desk and it's a nightmare keeping track of it all. Having digitally saved hand marked-up drawings in my project folder would be way easier. Overall, it would just make life much easier for me and I'd be able to complete tasks faster and cleaner.

So does anyone have any advice? One of those drawing pads would work but then I'd need to learn the whole hand eye coordination aspect. A drawing pad with a screen would be perfect, but I'm way out of my depth. Thank god I stopped for a second and used my brain though, that Samsung tablet would have been such a waste of money.

I'm sure others in the thread will have more knowledge of those drawing tablets, but thought it was worth saying that my partner uses a 9th gen base level ipad + pencil for producing artwork and it works really well, so if you're just marking up documents or doing some simple drawings for cheap a base level ipad and an apple pencil (or even the cheaper logitech stylus) is easy and accurate to use, so long as you don't mind the smaller screen.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Kalenden posted:

Not sure if this is the best thread for it, but I am looking to replace my Huawei MediaPad M5 8-Inch.

I use it mostly for reading, browsing the internet and playing some videos. I use it one handed as I look to walk around a lot while reading

Not many 8-inch tablet options available so I was thinking of replacing my tablet and my phone with a foldable. The upcoming Galaxy Fold 5 looks promising.

Anybody have experience with foldables as a tablet and specifically for reading and one-handed use?

They’re really nice, but the current options don’t last long - the hinge often wears out more quickly than people would like, and the screen can get a little funky at the crease. So if you’re on a good contract where you get a free/discounted phone (and don’t mind the potential e-waste in a year or two), they can be a good option. They’re very expensive compared to the equivalent of a decent tablet + a smartphone if bought outright, so it is a bit of a luxury.

if you want a tablet more as a long-term investment, a real tablet might be the way to go. People really, really like the iPad mini, and using an iPad when you have an android phone isn’t as much of a pain as you might think.

Caveat is that Google are about to launch their foldable - which might finally solve the hinge problem.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Activate posted:

Hi everyone. I’m looking for something I can use for consuming media (mostly streams and ebooks), general internet browsing, and writing documents on. No gaming or other utilities necessary, and if it accepts SIM cards that’s even better. My specific questions would be,

1. Should I be looking at a tablet or a laptop?
2. Have tablets with their own keyboard become better quality since this thread was made?

And if you have a specific recommendation I would be very thankful.

Maybe look at the iPad Air? The Magic Keyboard accessory is a laptop-quality keyboard and trackpad, but it is expensive new. You can usually find used ones for half the price, but that's still like £150. The new base level iPad also comes with something similar, still expensive, but would save you money overall.

You can also use any bluetooth keyboard/mouse.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

fr0id posted:

What’s the cheapest workable iPad right now that would last a while for doing super basic stuff like discord, movies, and other media consumption? Mini or otherwise.

Mini is actually more expensive than the regular base (bigger) iPads, although it does have a nicer screen and better design. Honestly if you go base you can even get away with one of the previous generation iPads and it'll do just fine for all that stuff if you don't mind the older design.

Mini seems cool for browsing/reading/note taking/ watching YouTube, but I probably wouldn't want to watch a whole film on it, but then I'm someone who is always aghast when I see people watching whole films and tv episodes on their phone on public transport.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

History Comes Inside! posted:

I like having expandable storage because the cost of whatever ok tablet plus a giant sd card is way less than an iPad with the same amount of storage.

If they made an iPad with a microsd card slot then I’d probably just buy an iPad, except knowing Apple it would only be available on the Super iPad Pro Plus 8k edition or whatever the gently caress and I still wouldn’t wanna pay that much for it.

Seeing as all the newer ipads are usbc, can't you just plug in usb-c storage or a microsd reader or something?

Also depending on what you're using the storage for, the ipad is pretty friendly with most home networking so you can just like set up a NAS or something. icloud will cost you a couple of quid a month but it also works great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

DACK FAYDEN posted:

My wife wants a device to replace her laptop. We're thinking tablet plus a peripheral keyboard because she honestly doesn't do much:
-watch streams (both from websites and via apps)
-web surfing (reddit etc, nothing that requires exceptional processing power)
-document writing/the occasional spreadsheet (google docs is sufficient, no need for Actual Excel or whatever, think cover letters and to-do lists and such)
-built-in camera for job interviews/virtual doctor appointments (headphone jack nice but not mandatory, especially if it takes usb-c headphones already)

and verbatim from her: "I don't like change, so I want something that will be similar in layout and functionality to what I already have"

The goon recommendation is still just an iPad with as much RAM as they'll sell you, right? (plus one of these Magic Keyboard case things or a third-party equivalent?) The Galaxy Tab line is at least marginally tempting specs-wise but I haven't gotten hands-on with anything. Last few pages seemed to be fully on the iPad brigade. Didn't know if there was something more tablet than Chromebook but still sort of designed to be a primary-use computer.

edit: also it will not need to be portable at least 90% of the time, so really even the Magic Keyboard might be overkill compared to a usb-c dock with typical boring usb mouse/keyboard

I don't think you need to worry too much about RAM on iPads (as in, don't spring for some crazy RAM-loaded version). They're really built for running full-screen, one-at-a-time applications, where RAM isn't too much of an issue unless you're doing video editing. Base configurations are fine across the board for those use cases.

Honestly, I'd maybe think about getting an M1 MacBook Air. They're going for cheaper nowadays, and will probably run you the same as an iPad + Magic Keyboard accessory. The MK is very nice - by far my favourite case for an iPad - but very expensive. It makes typing and navigation on the iPad much easier - it's really a joy to sit down and write the next great American novel or whatever on - but it will not turn your iPad into a laptop.