Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Geokinesis posted:

You can woohoo in the time portal?

You can woohoo in the ZEPHYR monorail too! By the time you have all the expansions installed you can woohoo in a lot of places, elevators, showers, time portals, tents, all kinds of weird and wonderful places for your sims to get busy!

HomestarCanter posted:

Wow, that future stuff looks amazing. Time to reinstall. :argh:

I absolutely LOVE the future stuff. The associated neighbourhood is awesome, the aesthetic is fantastic, the quests are fun as all hell, and if you change the future to the utopia it is literally the gayest thing I have ever seen, and I've been to pride parades. The trees look like candyfloss :3: Also I have a special fondness for robots and golems and things of that nature and these simbots really are some of the most adorable creatures I have ever seen in the sims. Also you can use the future to cheat at the lottery and get your sim super rich!

Basically, Into the Future is really awesome and if you're still on the fence about it I hope this bonus segment of the thread will convince you because its a wonderful expansion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Build a robot

M. Morgan
May 9, 2012
Snuggles did discover his hidden intimate love of robots when he travelled to the past, now the dream must be fulfilled by building one

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
But can we reconstruct Fallout or at least Deus Ex with the dystopian option?

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

Aithon posted:

But can we reconstruct Fallout or at least Deus Ex with the dystopian option?

F that, let's reconstruct Shadowrun, what with Sims knowing Magic and all.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It does seem like you have a lot more possible directions in this mysterious future.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Please Woohoo in the time portal tia!

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

Lizard Wizard posted:

How can you not make marry a robot?

My version. :roboluv:

Faerie Fortune posted:

Basically, Into the Future is really awesome and if you're still on the fence about it I hope this bonus segment of the thread will convince you because its a wonderful expansion.

What would you say are the must-have expansions for people who are super cheap but want to have the best sims experience? I've heard it's aspirations, nightlife, and into the future.

Jenner fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Aug 2, 2014

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Honestly it depends what you want from the game and how you play. Ambitions is definitely a good one because it gives you non-rabbithole careers that are actually really fun, and allows your artist/writer/gardener/fisher sims to register as self employed so I'd agree on that!

If you like focused, goal-based gameplay then I'd recommend World Adventures and Into The Future, both have locations that give you quest chains that require your sims to do things, and WA has some fun puzzles in the tomb type areas.

If you like doing the legacy challenge (that is when you start off with a single sim and try to play through 10 generations) then I'd recommend Generations and Seasons, both of which give new events, interactions and objects that are more geared towards families and whatnot.

If you like to play cute single ladies then Late Night and Showtime both add new venues to go to, new cool poo poo to do, new people to meet, and Showtime adds a few new non-rabbithole careers, so that's another place to get them if you don't want to buy ambitions.

If you like to see sims get into wacky situations then University and Supernatural are good for that! Its fun to be walking to class when suddenly a werewolf and a fairy get in a fight.

Island Paradise is for if you want to own a resort and have a buggy as hell associated neighbourhood full of routing errors. Pets is good with any of these combinations but if you don't think you'll get much use out of having cats, dogs, horses and other such things then I'd hold off on it.

This is just my opinion and personally I think each expansion has its merits, which combination is best for you really depends on how you play though.

HomestarCanter
Oct 21, 2008

Strong Bad,
you're a horse's twees.

Faerie Fortune posted:

Yeah, I went ahead and reinstalled absolutely everything. My new computer is actually capable of running all EPs and SPs and Store Content at max settings :toot:

Jenner posted:

What would you say are the must-have expansions for people who are super cheap but want to have the best sims experience? I've heard it's aspirations, nightlife, and into the future.

If you want the best experience for super cheap, there's only one way to go. :pirate:
Support the developers by buying legit, install using the way more convenient pre-compiled versions.

HomestarCanter fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Aug 2, 2014

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

Faerie Fortune posted:

If you like to play cute single ladies then Late Night and Showtime both add new venues to go to, new cool poo poo to do, new people to meet, and Showtime adds a few new non-rabbithole careers, so that's another place to get them if you don't want to buy ambitions.

This reminds me I really need to send Eating Only Apples the Katy Perry version of Showtime. :getin:

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
For your own sanity avoid getting Katy Perry's Sweet Treats. Trust me.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
I wish I could uninstall seasons, but somehow keep the hair, clothes, and items that came with it.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

I vote :roboluv:

Indiiea
Sep 26, 2013

WanderingMinstrel I posted:

I wish I could uninstall seasons, but somehow keep the hair, clothes, and items that came with it.

You can find expansion pack items made base game compatible if you search for it. Really good if you want some items but not the expansion pack itself.

It's a fun LP and it convinced me to try Into the Future. Let's make some robots.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Update will be anywhere from a couple of days to a week late - I'm sick and barely have any energy at the moment. I'll update the moment I'm better though and if this is anything like the last time I got sick during this LP then expect to see a dumb crocheted thing within the next couple of days

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Did you know, that LPing a game like the Sims makes you really not want to play it? I now fully understand the Sims LP Curse.

That being said, I have the next update all ready to post, I promise I'll get it posted today or tomorrow. You guys have waited too long to find out more about Snuggles' Adventures In The Future!

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

Faerie Fortune posted:

Did you know, that LPing a game like the Sims makes you really not want to play it? I now fully understand the Sims LP Curse.

That being said, I have the next update all ready to post, I promise I'll get it posted today or tomorrow. You guys have waited too long to find out more about Snuggles' Adventures In The Future!

drat, last game I played that much was TF2, and I haven't touched that in almost 2 years.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Faerie Fortune posted:

I warned you Faerie. I warned you.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I can totally understand that mindset. Although is it the actual playing you're averse to or is it the chronicling? Because for me it's the latter, I could upload a plain, unfiltered and mostly un-commented video of myself playing a game easily enough, but keeping up a running commentary or slicing it into compelling screenshots and writing commentary seems like a lot of effort. I appreciate that effort, but I can see how it could wear a person down.

e: Also I've been playing Sims 2 a lot recently and why is everyone Smustling in the driveway and the bathroom?

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Update 21 - Enter Goonbot

Its been a while! Welcome back to Oasis Landing, where we last left Snuggles stinky, hungry, sleepy and in front of a fridge! In the future!

Well its...kind of a fridge. Its actually a food synthesiser! Snuggles can pick any food from the list and it'll instantly poof into existence for him! He's not a very happy boy right now so I let him have his favourite meal in the world: Sushi!

Poor Snuggles is very tired so into the dream pod he goes! This is a neat item from Into the Future that is kind of a bed but also not. When he hops in the device he can decide what kind of dreams he'd like to have. As his Advanced Technology skill goes up he'll gain access to new and different dreams but at our current skill, this is what we have! I chose to have him dream about Advanced Technology because he currently has a wish to improve it so it'll give that a bit of a boost!

It worked! Snuggles gets the skill point that he wants, and it looks like his family is still up to things! Unfortunately just before he wakes up, his dreams turn sour and ends up with this negative moodlet that'll last him for a while and slow down his progress on his skill. Sorry, Snuggles :ohdear:

He reacts the only way he knows how: Brooding.

We're on a mission today so let's get started! The thread wanted Snuggles to build a robot so here we are at the Bot Emporium! Here, we can buy robots, talk to robots, high five robots and more importantly, build robots in this odd looking machine here. Also there's a Sim City poster. We don't talk about Sim City.

But first we have to do some things! Snuggles waves his arms around a bit and some really cool Minority Report stuff happens. What we're doing here is designing Nanites, which are tiny little creatures that are used as components in trait chips and Plumbots. He's just discovered how to make his first one so lets actually build it so we can use it in our creation!

Creating basic nanites doesn't cost any materials, although you can use basic nanites to create more advanced ones. It costs a little bit of money and a small amount of time. You also have to discover the designs for them before you can make them, either by using the design interaction on the bot machine, or by reverse engineering more complex ones that you can find out in the environment but that's about the only limitation that you have. Also you can name them and bring them out, they're pretty cute little robot-y guys with four legs. Snuggles got a bot building point so now he can create trait chips! Let's give that a shot!

With a little bit of work and some more poking at and making contemplative noises at holo-projector screens, Snuggles researches his first trait chip! You can see in the window here that it requires a certain type of nanite. Basic trait chips only require basic nanites, as they get more complex, they require more uncommon nanites in larger quantities. Where do you get these things then, if you're not making them?

Like this! You can find all kinds of nanites out in the world of Oasis Landing. Like bugs, they're collectible and you can just wander out into the world and pick them up! Its pretty cute to see them scuttling around!

:toot: Success! We've created our first trait chip and we're now good enough at this stuff to make our first Plumbot! Hooray! For now though, time for Snuggles to take a little break.

:sigh: Some things never change

Once he's finished his daily brooding session, its back to the bot station and we're gonna make Snuggles a new friend! Creating a plumbot is a lot like creating a sim, except that you don't get to choose their personality (that's done with trait chips!) so I spent a lot more time and effort than I should have creating ours. Ladies and gentlemen, let me introduce you to Goonbot!

Snuggles gives our new friend a proper greeting :3:

Goonbot actively wants to have a trait chip installed and we happen to have some so Snuggles opens her up and pops these in! We still have Friendly Functions from the quests we did for the time traveller and we just made the Competent Cleaner chip so we put both of those in! Friendly Functions unlocks the social bar for Goonbot and she now actively wants to talk to and interact with both people and other robots!

She picks this powered down robot. You're not gonna get anything out of them, Goonbot. Also here are the things she can do! She can act as her own cellphone, power herself down if she's low on battery, and even change her own trait chips if she really wants to!

Its time to get to know our new friend, so let's take her to the cafeteria. Goonbot happily comes along with us and spends the entire time pouring oil over herself -- this is a good thing for her, it'll keep her nicely tuned up. Also she wants to go to the future. I don't think our cobbled together robot is very smart, you guys.

Now I must apologise because once again, my game got alt-tabbed out and ruined a good chunk of screenshots. You didn't miss much however. Snuggles ate some sushi, Goonbot talked with other robots and handed out high fives like they were candy, they both drank some oil, which Goonbot appreciated much more than Snuggles did, and then they both went back home to rest.

Sadly, Snuggles can't escape his fate forever, and he knows that he must return home and do his best to salvage his university career. Maybe this time in the future has helped him a little? Even if it hasn't, his new robot friend might be a big help in getting him the degree he sorely wants. Goodbye for now, Oasis Landing! We'll be back one day!

Next time: Back to School!

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Dareon posted:

I can totally understand that mindset. Although is it the actual playing you're averse to or is it the chronicling? Because for me it's the latter, I could upload a plain, unfiltered and mostly un-commented video of myself playing a game easily enough, but keeping up a running commentary or slicing it into compelling screenshots and writing commentary seems like a lot of effort. I appreciate that effort, but I can see how it could wear a person down.

e: Also I've been playing Sims 2 a lot recently and why is everyone Smustling in the driveway and the bathroom?

Its a bit of both but mostly the second. The playing is something I'm A-OK with because I love this game, as evidenced by the almost 600 hours I've played it! The annoying part is arranging screenshots, converting them from png to jpeg, resizing/cropping them, uploading them and trying to think of commentary that isn't boring, dry or completely unfunny. After doing this for almost a year you get burned out a bit, hence why I didn't feel nearly as bad about my unplanned month long hiatus as I should have.

However, I have another project in the works and I really want to put all my attention on that so I want to get this thread finished before I start working on that. Whether that'll work as a motivator is up in the air as you've probably noticed that I'm not the best person in the world at keeping to my own deadlines but I'll give it a try! apples put a lot of work into undoing the Sims LP curse and it would be rude to curse the forum again!

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
That was considerably less eventful than I expected. Nothing exploded even once.

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009
On the other hand: robot buddy! :3:

aerion111
Nov 29, 2011

Prodigy of Curiosity.
Master of Jacks.
Apprentice of Masks.
And, when fighting the forces of darkness, always remember: "Armor of Darkness, Weapon of Light"

Faerie Fortune posted:

Its time to get to know our new friend, so let's take her to the cafeteria. Goonbot happily comes along with us and spends the entire time pouring oil over herself -- this is a good thing for her, it'll keep her nicely tuned up. Also she wants to go to the future. I don't think our cobbled together robot is very smart, you guys.
I don't see the problem?
She is clearly in 'The Present', everything is always in 'The Present'
She wants to travel forward in time.
If your ancient technology is incapable of getting her into The Future, that's hardly a commentary on HER intelligence.

I wonder if the future has nano-tech that's actually nano-sized.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

aerion111 posted:

I wonder if the future has nano-tech that's actually nano-sized.

Isn't that what nano-tech is by definition?

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Lizard Wizard posted:

Isn't that what nano-tech is by definition?

Yet these Nanites are rat sized

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Rumda posted:

Yet these Nanites are rat sized

Well, I guess we're in disagreement about whether a nanomachine should be a nanometer or less in width, or just roughly the size of an ipod nano.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So can you bring this amazing technology back with you? Or is there just no way to maintain it?

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
You can indeed! The robot is now a part of the family. Plumbot is basically like being a supernatural life state. I'm not sure if you can keep playing as your bot if you kill the creator though.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Glazius posted:

So can you bring this amazing technology back with you? Or is there just no way to maintain it?

You can! Snuggles now has a jetpack and his hoverboard in his inventory to take back to the present with him and Goonbot will also be coming home with us :3: you can also buy rad future contraptions in build/buy mode so we can have some of this stuff in our house at university if we really want! We don't want to do this though, they're ridiculously expensive.

also we can take goonbot to the present with us but we won't be taking her to uni with us even though we totally can :smith: she doesn't have the capacity to learn skills yet so getting her a degree would be a giant waste of money

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Um...do I want to know what the 'woohoo' option is in this context?

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Yvonmukluk posted:

Um...do I want to know what the 'woohoo' option is in this context?

He can have sex in the weird alien pod.

I mean, if he wants.

Charlett
Apr 2, 2011
Usually after clicking the option, a window opens up asking whom he wants to have sex with. He'll then go ask for consent, and the two will do their thing. At least, that's what happens with every other woohoo-able object.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Charlett posted:

Usually after clicking the option, a window opens up asking whom he wants to have sex with. He'll then go ask for consent, and the two will do their thing. At least, that's what happens with every other woohoo-able object.

If I remember right, from a WHILE ago, you could WooHoo in the Time Portal?

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
D... Don't woohoo in the robot pod. :ohdear:

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

Silegna posted:

If I remember right, from a WHILE ago, you could WooHoo in the Time Portal?

From a while ago? Then it sounds like the Time Portal is working perfectly, no?

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Dareon posted:

D... Don't woohoo in the robot pod. :ohdear:

I'm pretty sure that only bots can woohoo in the pod.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Ardeem posted:

I'm pretty sure that only bots can woohoo in the pod.

That is incorrect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Lizard Wizard posted:

That is incorrect.

You just gotta try harder for the woohoo

• Locked thread