Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

I have a good feeling Roar is going to see a lot of my Sim.

Video games!

Thanks for taking that time, by the way. I hope it wasn't too much of a hassle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Yapping Eevee posted:

The student union building looks pretty sweet, honestly.

Yes. Yes it does.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I can only hope that when I go to college, they have like a dozen arcade machines.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

WickedHate posted:

That aren't DDR, anyway.
Real pros play DDR while sitting down cross-legged.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
How true to life that I would go home early from the meet-and-greet. It's almost somewhat depressing, if I wasn't laughing at the fact that the house spent 1K on Arcade games.

100Dachshunds
Oct 11, 2009

GOCHARMSPRINGS
Eagerly awaiting my career as the campus serial killer.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

100Dachshunds posted:

Eagerly awaiting my career as the campus serial killer.

Jokes on you, they'll just come back as zombies.

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

This is looking good.. I just hope your addiction doesn't spread and end up making me buy the university expansion :ohdear:

The fact that the steam sale just hit yesterday doesn't help either.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Urgh, don't remind me. I've been sorely tempted by all the stuff packs and expansions I don't have yet despite not really needing them but...robots! Houseboats! Mermaids! I must have them all.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

Yapping Eevee posted:

Who wants to stand and play videogames, though?

But dude, your body english is a vital part of playing arcade games, you need to lean, and kick the cab, and... standing up is part of it, man!

Looking forward to seeing more hijinks, Simwise!

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Faerie Fortune posted:

Urgh, don't remind me. I've been sorely tempted by all the stuff packs and expansions I don't have yet despite not really needing them but...robots! Houseboats! Mermaids! I must have them all.

At this point I'm just hoping Sims 4 is less likely to melt any given computer. Even with mods and selectively installed expansion packs, my machine starts churning after one or two Sim weeks. :(

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
VIDEO GAMES

seems pretty accurate to me, actually.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

I am procrastinating on uni assignments which means I am currently screenshotting an update. Experimenting with taking screenshots in .png format because I'm including a lot more text than I originally thought I would so it might be a little bigger in terms of file sizes but hopefully there'll be less artifacting on the text-y shots.

But while you're waiting for that, let's make some predictions! How does the thread think these bozos will do on their first day of grown up school?

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Spectacularly badly. I will not be surprised if one of the goons misses their classes via sleep or just not giving a drat.

asymmetrical
Jan 29, 2009

the absence or violation of symmetry

jimmydalad posted:

I will not be surprised if one of the goons misses their classes via sleep or just not giving a drat.

I was under the impression this is how you're supposed to act at university.

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk

jimmydalad posted:

Spectacularly badly. I will not be surprised if one of the goons misses their classes via sleep or just not giving a drat.

I would be surprised if any of them made it to class! When I tried university I found it was a big massive game of micromanagement. There was basically no free time between making sure needs were met and they made it to class!

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
They ace everything, make great impressions, and form a bond that will last the annals of history.

Or not. It'll be fun to find out!

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Oh c'mon, at some point they tend to run off to class at the absolute last moment.

I don't foresee anyone doing assignments of their own free will, though.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
I had no idea apples was such a stylish lady.

I can't wait to see her fail like everyone else.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Update 2 - First Day of School

Last time we left off, most people were asleep and Eevee was making waffles. I had a brain fart and forgot to take screenshots but I really don't think you guys are worse off for not having seen a sim make and consume waffles.

Since I have StoryProgression, we'll get updates like this when a sim does something notable. Like this! Love is in the air!

Eevee is the first to wake up and after making his bed, proceeds to head outside to make faces at one of the NPC roommates.

He seemed to enjoy it!

Here's a new thing for University. Social groups! Its kind of like the Celebrity system except not nearly as annoying and you can't turn it off. Certain interactions and objects give you points towards a certain social group, of which there are three. Our roommate here is level 10 in the Jock group, which is denoted by orange. There's also the Nerds, denoted by a pale green colour, and the Rebels who are purple. Thanks to our goons' gaming session at the student union yesterday, most of them have a couple of levels in Jock from the table football/ping pong and Nerd (from the arcade machines. Unlike the celebrity system, this one has some uses. We'll get to those later though!

Some kind person in the dorms has made hot dogs! Hot dogs for breakfast! :woop:

I've talked before about the free poo poo that sims get at university but here's some more! When they arrive at university for the first time, they get an inventory full of stuff depending on their major. You've already seen one of these in the form of Eevee's radio broadcast thingy last update but here's what everyone gets!

All Sims get the camera, backpack and certificate (its their high school diploma) and all university students get a textbook. Fine Arts students also get a free sketchbook. Not an amazing freebie but it lets them start drawing right away!

Communications majors get their little broadcast tower along with the standard goodies.

and apples, as a Science student gets this cool model skeleton to do science on!

Speaking of apples, she's woken up and is engaging in the time honoured Sims tradition of staring out of windows for no reason.

Dachshunds has also woken up and is joining Eevee in making friends with the roommate. As you can see here, she's got a couple of levels in Nerd, which lets her do this..

Each social group gets its own interactions! At level 2 they're pretty basic but at higher levels you can do more things, like trivia contests, the school cheer or organising protests. Right now, all Dachshunds can really do is boast about her rad gamer skills.

Whatever it is she's bragging about, the roommate is impressed! Eevee, not so much.

Roar is still asleep after spending most of last night playing arcade games.

Dachshunds and Eevee are still chatting outside, and Eevee's Good trait is coming into play! This is a special social interaction that only Good sims have access to. When you use it on any sim..

They get this moodlet! Dachshunds gets a nice mood boost from this and its just an all around :3: thing to happen, really.

Even when she's joking around and making faces at people, she still looks like a serial killer.

Its time for the 8am class! A couple of hours before class starts, this will pop up, reminding you to get your sims' asses in gear, and also how many days they have left until their final exams for this term in case you need to do some last minute cramming.

Like work, classes are a rabbithole but you do get some degree of control over what your sims do there. Each one has different effects on your class performance ranging from giving you a giant boost to actively making it drop...more than usual.

Being outside already, Dachshunds and Eevee get dressed and put on their backpacks (holy poo poo I love how cute sims look with those on) and are ready for the day ahead! Dachshunds is not impressed.

Snuggles and Jimmy decide to take advantage of the free hot dogs and have breakfast together, clearly in no rush to get to their first class early.

Speaking of, here's what the academic tab looks like when classes have actually started. At the start of the term, that green bar will be somewhere in the middle, and will go up when you study, use certain objects, and go to class. Its constantly going down at a steady rate, so unlike Sims 2 University you can't just do your midterm and go to a class and be safe for the term. For one, there's no midterms in this version, and for another, that'll lead you straight to failure as simply going to class is just barely enough to keep things level if that's all you do.

Campus is really pretty.

Eevee arrives outside the first communications class of the term with these two ladies. Snuggles is also here but he decided to use the entrance on the other side of the building for some reason.

Jimmy has decided that class is beneath him, and instead opts to practice pool tricks in the dorms in his underwear. This trick appears to involve many balls and a blender.

...it doesn't go well.

He takes a break from tricks involving blenders for a little bit and swears revenge on the pool table.

Looking around campus, I spot a goon sim! I'll be pointing more out when I see them.

Jimmy, not to be put off by a blender, decides to try a simpler trick that isn't trying to kill him. He still doesn't look very sure about it but this is definitely more entertaining to watch than the progress bar while he's in class.

Speaking of, after being defeated by pool tricks not once, but twice, Jimmy decides to make up for his academic apathy by studying. This is definitely a thing you can do if you miss class once or twice, a single study session will generally boost your grade enough to at least stop you from failing.

When you study, this appears. Its much like the drop down menu that appears when you're in a rabbithole, except for a book. Its not super useful when I'm playing because I tend to micromanage like a complete rube, but for when you need it, you can study hard as hell for a big boost, or just a little for when you only need a little extra to stop from failing, or get that A.

Like all other books in the Sims 3, the class textbooks all have silly and weird names. Its a nice touch.

When you study for long enough, you get this moodlet. I'm honestly not sure what it does, but its nice to have.

Roar is still in class and getting stinkier by the minute. He hasn't showered since he got here.

Communications classes are over and Snuggles and Eevee have clearly impressed their professor. You'll get these little popups randomly after classes. It doesn't change anything, but its a nice little touch.

Its only your first day Eevee and you want to skip class already?

Morning classes are over and Jimmy finally puts some pants on and remembers that he's a student. Bit late on that one.

Apples has a fairly long break between classes so she comes home specifically to check the sink.

Apples is Neurotic so she'll randomly roll wants to check various items around the house. Not checking them won't affect her much but if she does, she'll get this happy moodlet for a little while.

After making sure that the house wasn't flooded, she sits down to study a little bit. But to be honest, I don't want to watch her doing that for the next few hours so I sent her out into the world! Or at least, the university quad.

Around campus, you'll find these! There are loads of plants growing around campus and with the University expansion came these! Coffee beans! You can also plant and harvest various herbs such as mint, cinnamon (with an option to eat them all raw) and "greenleaf". These are useful for sciencey sims as it gives them something to throw into their science machines and research on for academic progress.

After finding a nice spot to stand, apples proceeds to play kicky ball! This is one of those objects that contributes to social groups and by playing kicky bag (whether alone or with other sims) apples will get points towards the Rebel group. Don't ask me why, I have no idea.

Its not completely useless though! Playing kicky bag, as well as filling up her fun bar, gives apples a point in the Athletics skill. So its a nice way for sims that can't afford an exercise machine to get those skills.

After doing that for a while, apples realises she's kinda hungry. She's pretty near the student union so she could grab something from a vending machine. But she doesn't. Instead, she does this.

apples

apples no what are you doing.

Yes. She ate the whole thing raw.

While apples is giving herself stinky breath, art classes are out! Our three budding artists are here along with one of their NPC classmates who is legitimately named Cid Severus. Fuckin' EA.

Having made sure her breath stinks to high heaven, apples returns to her kicky bag.

Here we have Fizzicist who I spotted on her way to the campus comic book store and FutureFriend who looks absolutely terrifying on his way to class.

Instead of taking a shower like a normal person, Roar decides to serve up some salad. Normally I'd be frustrated with him but he just looks so drat happy about it.

Snuggles is also home, and joining apples in the Staring Out Of Windows club.

Roar finishes making his salad and in an effort to get everyone together and interacting (which they haven't had much time for today) I decided to call them all to dinner and see if we could have a nice, friendly dinner together.

:sigh: guess not.

At least Dachshunds is starting to smile a bit :gbsmith:

She finishes her salad and stares out of the window, thinking about how disgusting Roar is, who still hasn't showered.

Snuggles also made this face. I assume he's also disgusted but quite frankly I was too busy laughing to tell.

Finally, Roar gets the hint and goes to take a shower! Good job Roar!

Dachshunds is only the second sim to engage in class activities, and looks pretty drat happy as she settles down on the kitchen floor for some sketching. She's pretty soon interrupted though..

...to play ping pong with Snuggles. These two are becoming pretty good friends!

Roar is a bookworm so if there's a book around he will read it. Even if there's nothing else to read but skill books, he'll still pick it up, and it'll contribute to his fun bar too!

Eevee is gaming. I'm honestly surprised it took this long for a single sim to discover that there's pretty much an entire computer lab in the dorms.

Sims make the best faces.

Ping pong contributes to the Jock social group, and even has its own hidden skill associated with it. The more ping pong you play, the better you'll get at it and the more games you'll win. There are specific wants to win 5 games of ping pong for some reason, so having high skill in it makes that easier to get.

"Fuckin ghosts, man :saddowns:"

After playing around for a few hours, the two decide to get serious and play beer juice pong.

Dachshunds takes it very very seriously.

Jimmy is out of class just in time to get this notification! I have Supernatural so the full moon becomes a time when werewolves roam the streets, witches and wizards fling magic everywhere and zombies attack.

Actually none of that happens since we don't have many supernatural sims on campus, but these things do happen in a regular neighbourhood. Even human sims get in on the fun and they get a mood boost from kissing under a full moon, or they get a "lunatic" moodlet that makes them do weird things.

All that'll happen to our Jimmy though is that this vampire girl will stare at him while he plays chess outside of the art building.

Roar has finished his book and takes a few moments to absorb all that he has read.

apples, there is something seriously wrong with you.

Eevee heads to bed but do you see a problem here? Its still light outside. Its 7:30pm in the middle of summer and this boring nerd is going to bed. So I guess I'll be dealing with him at 3am in the next update!

:woop:VIDEO GAMES:woop:

Snuggles is a Brooding sim so he'll occasionally feel the need to do this. He sometimes just needs to think about things, so he sits down next to the ping pong table to ruminate on the meaninglessness of his existence. He gets a happy little mood boost when he's done so its definitely not all bad, and works for a quick pick me up when a brooding sim is feeling under the weather.

(as an aside, I apologise for the sudden drop in image quality. Someone decided to call me on skype and I guess alt-tabbing messed with my captures a little and I didn't notice it until I'd already quit the game)

Also in the garden, apples has discovered the bonfire.

Sims make the best faces.

So its midnight on the first day of school! Let's see where everyone is.

Pretty much everyone is asleep!

...except for Roar, who has run out of things to read and is now reading his textbook. I exercised my overseer privileges to tell him to stop being such a fuckin' nerd and he decided to go to bed instead.

This game can be really pretty sometimes.

So now at the end of the day let's have a vote! I've decided to gift our Sims something new and special for their dorm and you guys get to decide exactly what will be waiting for them in the morning!

Juice Keg

Wanna see Sims do keg stands? Wanna see sims on a "sugar rush" doing very silly things? Then pick the juice keg!

Street Art Kit

Not terribly exciting but Dachshunds specifically wished for one of these, and its useful for Art students! This kit lets you spraypaint murals all over campus. Using it contributes to Fine Arts grades, and to Rebel influence.

Telescope

Sims love this. It'll contribute to apples' Science grade by raising her Logic skills but not much else.

Science Research Station

This will teach apples the Science skill and therefore contribute to her grade. Any sim can use it to do experiments on bugs, plants, fish, and even sim DNA! With a high enough Science skill you can even outright clone a sim that you have a DNA sample from. It also adds to Nerd influence.

Arcade Machine

:downs:VIDEO GAMES:downs:

Faerie Fortune fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Dec 7, 2013

Bikindok
May 3, 2012
Okay, that science research station looks super neat and I want at least one of these guys to not fail so I vote Science Research Station

Also a clone would be pretty cool.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Science Research Station! Our sole science student will be happy with that.

I hope Snuggles and Eevee will become the best in their class, only to end up becoming mortal enemies, ala Jonathan Joestar and Dio Brando, or Reed Richards and Dr. Doom.

Also, Roar reminds me of Neville Longbottom, in a good way. He should become a wizard.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
Definitely the Research Station.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Science Research Station

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
Research Station, all the way. Everyone knows Science is the Best Skill in The Sims. :colbert:

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

Juice Keg! The more crazy sims, the better!

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

WickedHate posted:

Also, Roar reminds me of Neville Longbottom, in a good way. He should become a wizard.

Do wizard studies involve video games in any way because if they do then I'm down with that.

I would vote for VIDEO GAMES but we have enough of those on campus already apparently so I say either the Research Station or the Juice Keg.

tofuwizard
Feb 22, 2013
Reasearch Station! Because :science:

Am I the only one that sees Dachunds tatoo and goes 'that is some impressive chest hair'?

Kloro
Oct 24, 2008

Fancy a grown man saying hujus hujus hujus as if he were proud of it it is not english and do not make SENSE.
The answer is always Science! After that, we'll figure out what the question is.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

They won't starve if we build a Science Machine. It paves the way to other advances like planks and spears!

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Faerie Fortune posted:

Its only your first day Eevee and you want to skip class already?

First lectures are always boring admin stuff anyway. :v:

Faerie Fortune posted:

Eevee is gaming. I'm honestly surprised it took this long for a single sim to discover that there's pretty much an entire computer lab in the dorms.

I'm not sure whether to say something about the PC gamer master race, or to point out that I wouldn't play an American football game if you paid me.

Faerie Fortune posted:

Eevee heads to bed but do you see a problem here? Its still light outside. Its 7:30pm in the middle of summer and this boring nerd is going to bed. So I guess I'll be dealing with him at 3am in the next update!

Shift both those times ahead two hours, and that's about right. :sweatdrop:

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

tofuwizard posted:

Am I the only one that sees Dachunds tatoo and goes 'that is some impressive chest hair'?
No, you are not.

Science Machine

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Faerie Fortune posted:

Update 2 - First Day of School

Last time we left off, most people were asleep and Eevee was making waffles. I had a brain fart and forgot to take screenshots but I really don't think you guys are worse off for not having seen a sim make and consume waffles.

Since I have StoryProgression, we'll get updates like this when a sim does something notable. Like this! Love is in the air!

My Oh My, one day into college and I'm already into Macklemore Macklamoor.

Well with this Same Love nobody Can't Hold Us apart. Is there a Thrift Shop near campus we can visit?

Okay I'm done...for now.

I vote for the Keg! can't be college without one.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
Are you still taking applicants for people to become background sims?

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT
Juice Keg! Y'all are a bunch of fuckin nerds with your science.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

LorrdErnie posted:

Juice Keg! Y'all are a bunch of fuckin nerds with your science.

Seriously, get buzzed and break something.

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
Juice Keg for sure.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

Yeah that is pretty much me irl.

Anyway, voting for the Juice Keg cuz seriously what kind of sim house hasn't got a bunch of alcoholics around

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010
Sims on "sugar rushes" sound like good fun, so I vote for the Juice Keg, even if Banky Mua'dib is the best artist name :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

President Ark posted:

Are you still taking applicants for people to become background sims?

Sure am! Apps will be open for the entire LP!

• Locked thread