Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Hbomberguy posted:

I just finished Melancholia. It was the worst thing I have ever seen in my life. Hopefully this'll be a bit more like Antichrist, or at least some super-slow-motion Udo Kier jizzing.

Does Trier shoot his movies on film still nowadays?

This is a really insightful review. You must have such a great knowledge of film to understand that melancholia is the worst film you have ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

If you think Melancholia is the worst movie you've ever seen, you must have only ever seen a few movies in your whole life.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
Well its no Phantom Menace.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

schwenz posted:

Just going off of what I've seen of Von Trier's films, I'm making the assumption that the majority if not all of the sex in this film is not going to be touching upon the intimacy associated with the act. When I hear the term Nymphomaniac i've always associated it with addiction, and nothing rational or positive ever comes of that. I used to have a hard time understanding the concept of sex addiction, but after going through some drug related hell, I can guess that people that suffer from it are not having the time of their lives. If anyone can take sex and make you believe that it can be as horrifying an addiction as heroin, I think Von Trier can pull it off. After seeing Antichrist, I'm starting to think that Nymphomaniac will do for sex what Requiem for a Dream did for drugs, and then some.

I could be wrong. The term Nympho isn't a scientific term, and has no measure to decide what is too much sex drive and what isn't I guess this could be a film about how awesome sex is and how wrong it is to judge people for having a lot of it. I doubt it though, Lars is a grim fucker.

Except this film already exists and is called "Shame". I'm not saying your theory couldn't be right, but I kind of have to think that Lars is going to give us something we're not really going to expect.

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.

Atlas Hugged posted:

Except this film already exists and is called "Shame". I'm not saying your theory couldn't be right, but I kind of have to think that Lars is going to give us something we're not really going to expect.

I completely forgot about shame.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

The_Rob posted:

This is a really insightful review. You must have such a great knowledge of film to understand that melancholia is the worst film you have ever seen.

I wasn't giving a review, I was offhandedly giving my opinion about a film because it felt tangentially related to the subject of the new movie. (For the record it earns the moniker 'worst' not because there's anything 'bad' about it, but because I enjoyed the experience of watching it the least out of any film I have ever seen. It didn't do anything for me at all, which even a lot of technically 'worse' movies manage. That's really all I have to say about the film, I just didn't feel engaged at all, which is probably to me the most important aspect of a movie. Sorry if my opinion offended you or something, I'm sure you have every reason to like if it you do so.)

Edit: I'm welcome to be proven wrong, if there was something missing from the film. Feel free to fill me in.

I'm hoping to be surprised by Nymphomaniac, which looks so incredibly open about its subject matter that surely, in 17 hours, there must be something in there.

Hbomberguy fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Dec 10, 2013

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Hbomberguy posted:

Edit: I'm welcome to be proven wrong, if there was something missing from the film. Feel free to fill me in.

No one will be able to prove your opinion wrong but I will say it must be a good movie to invoke such a negative response from you ;)

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Jst0rm posted:

No one will be able to prove your opinion wrong but I will say it must be a good movie to invoke such a negative response from you ;)

That's the thing, I wouldn't even call my response negative, it incurred no response. I love hating a movie, as it were, that's part of the fun of the experience. Melancholia didn't (for me, as you and I have both taken pains to point out it's just a subjective opinion) give me anything to respond to, which I don't think has ever happened to me before. I would call the experience unique, I suppose.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
Well for starters the film is about how a seriously depressed person reacts to two situations; one that is supposed to be happy (her own wedding) and the other tragic (the imminent end of the world). All her responses are flipped from everyone around her. I could go more into detail, but already that's not nothing.

Have you ever experienced severe depression, first-hand or through a loved one?

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Lord Krangdar posted:

Well for starters the film is about how a seriously depressed person reacts to two situations; one that is supposed to be happy (her own wedding) and the other tragic (the imminent end of the world). All her responses are flipped from everyone around her. I could go more into detail, but already that's not nothing.

Have you ever experienced severe depression, first-hand or through a loved one?

I'd joke that I experienced severe depression while I was watching Melancholia, but that implies it made me feel anything at all, and also be offensive to people who suffer from real depression. I have experienced it personally and I hope you weren't implying that, simply because I didn't take anything away from a film, that I'm some sort of monster who can't understand what it is like to be depressed about something and has never felt it personally.

Although I did notice the element of flipped emotions at play, for some reason it didn't engage me. I wish I could explain why in words. I never really felt particularly sympathetic to the character. I'd really like to know what I was missing, what little spark I needed to find for the movie to 'work'. That's a difficult question to answer I know, which is sort of why I didn't want to get into it. I didn't get anything from it, oh well, but I'm still open-minded about Nymphomaniac and I like his other movies quite a bit. I saw Dogville today and while the message was pretty heavy-handed it was executed really well and the gimmick was interesting. Sorry for trying to be concise here but I'm more interested in what you guys think about Von Trier and the movies than getting shouted down for not 'getting' his movies, trust me my insight into a movie I felt nothing for is more limited than you, that is why I am here.

Hbomberguy fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Dec 11, 2013

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Hbomberguy posted:

I saw Dogville today and while the message was pretty heavy-handed it was executed really well and the gimmick was interesting.

Heavy-handed? Welcome to Lars von Trier! :v: I think his best other "gimmick" movie is Europa, which does this sort of funky black-and-white/color rear projection stuff that plays well with the Kafkaesque nightmare plot.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Well that would be awesome if you experienced depression while watching it. Wonderful film.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I have major depression and thought Melancholia was a piece of poo poo, and easily von Trier's worst film. After having to spend just 30 mins with all of these worthless, shallow characters and their dumb and hosed up lives, that planet couldn't get there fast enough. Unless the whole point of the film was to root for armageddon, in which case it was a rousing success.

Anal Surgery posted:

[sex and film things]

Well said.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Origami Dali posted:

I have major depression and thought Melancholia was a piece of poo poo, and easily von Trier's worst film. After having to spend just 30 mins with all of these worthless, shallow characters and their dumb and hosed up lives, that planet couldn't get there fast enough. Unless the whole point of the film was to root for armageddon, in which case it was a rousing success.

Well said.

It kind of is. The introduction of the film is supposed to clue you in to the fact that the world is going to end.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I love how people take Von Trier's films so personally, to the point of feeling directly insulted and feeling genuine anger if they don't like it. It's probably harder to do that than you'd think.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Some people think Phantom Menace raped their childhoods, so w/e. Personally I didn't have any strong feelings from Melancholia one way or another as well. A clinically depressed person wouldn't find joy in traditionally happy moments and wouldn't mind that the world is ending, who would've thought, huh? Watching that trainwreck was somewhat amusing, though. That guy killing himself wasn't set up very well either, I thought - was he really that upset over being wrong and/or lying that he didn't want to spend some more time with his family?. The cave was pretty :3: though.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I love how people take Von Trier's films so personally, to the point of feeling directly insulted and feeling genuine anger if they don't like it. It's probably harder to do that than you'd think.

As I've tried to point out, I don't hate the movie, it left such a small impression on me. I enjoyed hating the people of Dogville, which was great.

Hbomberguy fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Dec 11, 2013

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Hbomberguy posted:

As I've tried to point out, I don't hate the movie, it left such a small impression on me. I enjoyed hating the people of Dogville, which was great.

He's saying that those of us that did like it are insulted and angered by the fact that you didn't even have a reaction.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Hbomberguy posted:

Sorry - I wasn't talking about you. It was more of a general observation.

BooDoug187
Apr 8, 2005

Don't you fear the yetis in Rio?

I have to laugh at these posters because yeah all of them look like people's o faces (except for Stellan Skarsgard, his looks like a crazed rapest walking in a room) but Shia Lebouf's doesn't look like "man haveing sex/getting blow job" it looks more like "dude with no shirt on trying to fix his car"

I see that pic and I think he standing there saying "poo poo, the engine block is crack and oil is leaking every where..."

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

BooDoug187 posted:

"poo poo, the engine block is crack and oil is leaking every where..."

That sounds a lot like sex to me.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

BooDoug187 posted:

"poo poo, the engine block is crack and oil is leaking every where..."
              |/

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Mr. Flunchy posted:

This is part of the reason I find him a more effective filmmaker than, say, Gaspar Noe.

BooDoug187
Apr 8, 2005

Don't you fear the yetis in Rio?

the posted:

|/

No, that face looks more like:

"Oh god drat it I forgot the milk again!

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.
Dafoe looks like he's taking a nap on the toilet.

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
Boil 'em, mash 'em, cook 'em in a stew
Slater looks like he just got out of the shower, walked out of the bathroom, and saw that his dog pissed on the carpet.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Heavy-handed? Welcome to Lars von Trier! :v: I think his best other "gimmick" movie is Europa, which does this sort of funky black-and-white/color rear projection stuff that plays well with the Kafkaesque nightmare plot.

I'm a big fan of The Idiots as I already said. I'm not sure if constraining himself to the Dogma rules is really a gimmick for the viewer so much as it is a gimmick for the filmmaker though.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I remember inviting this girl over from university I'd just met and she said she wanted to watch a scary movie, and goons had told me antichrist was good, but I couldn't remember what it was about. So we started watching it and suddenly there was slow-mo cock action. That was awkward.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Tsyni posted:

I remember inviting this girl over from university I'd just met and she said she wanted to watch a scary movie, and goons had told me antichrist was good, but I couldn't remember what it was about. So we started watching it and suddenly there was slow-mo cock action. That was awkward.

Yeah but how did it go?

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Atlas Hugged posted:

I'm a big fan of The Idiots as I already said. I'm not sure if constraining himself to the Dogma rules is really a gimmick for the viewer so much as it is a gimmick for the filmmaker though.

The Five Obstructions highlights this: Lars likes setting himself and others challenges to see what comes out. It's just a thing he does. All five of the remakes of the film are in my opinion worse than the original, but they all have interesting merits of their own. Lars is like a scientist testing how to 'do' cinema and his results are always interesting. I don't know how much of it is an over-the-top gimmicky attention grab or attempt to fit the mold he's made for himself, but who cares they're fun to watch sometimes. I'm probably being dubious about him because I have friends at Uni who are massive showoffy shitheads who make a big deal of 'getting' Von Trier but don't actually know why or how they do when questioned on it.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Hbomberguy posted:

I just finished Melancholia. It was the worst thing I have ever seen in my life. Hopefully this'll be a bit more like Antichrist, or at least some super-slow-motion Udo Kier jizzing.

Does Trier shoot his movies on film still nowadays?

I disliked melancholia as well and wrote a bunch of words on it. Even though I've been really depressed before, the movie didn't do it for me.
The first part was okay, second part...started pissing me off. So my thoughts really are only relevant to the second part.

Hated the main character. Hated how she and her mom compared everything to making GBS threads. "Meeting on the front steps, why don't we meet on the toilet?" Somehow when I was depressed I didn't substitute "making GBS threads" for random things in my train of thought. And my depression was never as all-encompassing as hers. She wants to bring everyone down with her. To her, life is EVIL. Everyone dying is just fine because it's not just her life that sucks, everyone elses should end too. She doesn't appreciate those who try to help her, either. Not even in a "your too good for me" kind of way. It's one thing in the first part where she's struggling to have life and just can't seem to grasp happiness, it's another in the second part where she's being taken care of and all she can do is hiss and sputter and growl.

My depression has always been self-hatred. People think I'm nice...nice in a creepy, repulsive, serial-killer kind of way. I do keep trying but I fail to make use of my time for the stupidest reasons. But in all my experience I see the good that could come from life and appreciate other people when they show me compassion, even though I have a hard time understanding it. Often, my depression stems from feeling that I am a leech that can only take, taking time and effort from others who could be better spending their with far more accomplished and interesting people who could give hem so much of a better time, and that my involvement ruins everything.

In the main characters struggle I saw none of that. She was just full of hate. Like some of the people who got me this way.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Rita Repulsa posted:

In the main characters struggle I saw none of that. She was just full of hate. Like some of the people who got me this way.

"Film was inadequate representation of my life. One star."

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Jesus dude.

I think she was more apathetic than anything. I didnt see it as hatred - I saw it as resentment that grew from being forced do anything at all/deal with people. that comes from the kind of emotionless depression where you can be just as content staring at a wall for 3 days and sleeping 14 hours a day as you can doing supposedly fun things - where everything becomes meaningless, and you cant muster up an emotional response to anything. I dont think hate ever entered into it.

e: for the record, i've never been that deep into it but I could relate pretty well. "Movie was about me, five stars"

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Dec 12, 2013

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I can't see how you reconcile "she's just apathetic" with calling all life evil, though. There's a malice there.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

mobby_6kl posted:

This is only going to be five hours long because all the loving is in super-slowmo, isn't it?

Zak Snyder's Nymph(¡)maniac!

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

MisterBibs posted:

I can't see how you reconcile "she's just apathetic" with calling all life evil, though. There's a malice there.

So what? Depressed people lash out and say things. In the end she was the rock that held her sister and her daughter together. Comforting them to the unavoidable conclusion.

Taliaquin
Dec 13, 2009

Turtle flu
I'm bipolar with very bad depressive episodes, and I couldn't get Melancholia out of my head for days after watching it. My experience definitely differed from some of the others here. I thought it was, for me personally, perfectly relatable in a very disturbing, visceral way. It's one of my favorite movies now, and I can't even really explain why because it's so depressing and nihilistic, but I also thought it was beautiful.

But since we're looking at the film from personal viewpoints, I think the main character was bipolar. Everything she did got a "yep" from me, and didn't Kirsten Dunst even say she portrayed her as bipolar?

I'm actually afraid to watch Nymphomaniac, though. Sex scenes in movies have always kind of made me uncomfortable, so I know this one's going to be really difficult. I still want to see it just because I like LvT.

cubicle gangster posted:

Jesus dude.

I think she was more apathetic than anything. I didnt see it as hatred - I saw it as resentment that grew from being forced do anything at all/deal with people. that comes from the kind of emotionless depression where you can be just as content staring at a wall for 3 days and sleeping 14 hours a day as you can doing supposedly fun things - where everything becomes meaningless, and you cant muster up an emotional response to anything. I dont think hate ever entered into it.

e: for the record, i've never been that deep into it but I could relate pretty well. "Movie was about me, five stars"
I have to agree with this. Having also been in a state of complete apathy due to depression, that's what I got from her.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Hbomberguy posted:

The Five Obstructions highlights this: Lars likes setting himself and others challenges to see what comes out. It's just a thing he does. All five of the remakes of the film are in my opinion worse than the original, but they all have interesting merits of their own. Lars is like a scientist testing how to 'do' cinema and his results are always interesting. I don't know how much of it is an over-the-top gimmicky attention grab or attempt to fit the mold he's made for himself, but who cares they're fun to watch sometimes. I'm probably being dubious about him because I have friends at Uni who are massive showoffy shitheads who make a big deal of 'getting' Von Trier but don't actually know why or how they do when questioned on it.

This is a really cool movie and I wish I had been familiar with The Perfect Man before watching it. It was neat to see Lars in his "natural" state, coming up with new and strange ways to film something and bantering with a film maker he clearly adores. The animated version of the film was the one I liked the most, but it was funny how both men so obviously loathed dealing with anything animated.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Atlas Hugged posted:

This is a really cool movie and I wish I had been familiar with The Perfect Man before watching it. It was neat to see Lars in his "natural" state, coming up with new and strange ways to film something and bantering with a film maker he clearly adores. The animated version of the film was the one I liked the most, but it was funny how both men so obviously loathed dealing with anything animated.

If there's one thing pretentious arty people who love being free to express themselves within their medium and love challenging people's preconceptions hate, it's other forms of art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Movie critics from major Danish newspapers decided to recreate the posters :v:

• Locked thread