Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I went through everything this man has directed over the last year and I am super excited for this film. He is one of the greatest directors working regardless of what he's like to be around. I have very high hopes that this turns out well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Pierat posted:

Great trailer. Lars is kind of hit or miss for me. Dogville really stuck with me but The Idiots was all kinds of terrible. This one looks fantastic though. It will be terribly awkward to watch, but worth it I imagine.

I really liked The Idiots. The last sequence where the woman gets slapped in the face by her grieving family nearly had me dying of laughter.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

schwenz posted:

Just going off of what I've seen of Von Trier's films, I'm making the assumption that the majority if not all of the sex in this film is not going to be touching upon the intimacy associated with the act. When I hear the term Nymphomaniac i've always associated it with addiction, and nothing rational or positive ever comes of that. I used to have a hard time understanding the concept of sex addiction, but after going through some drug related hell, I can guess that people that suffer from it are not having the time of their lives. If anyone can take sex and make you believe that it can be as horrifying an addiction as heroin, I think Von Trier can pull it off. After seeing Antichrist, I'm starting to think that Nymphomaniac will do for sex what Requiem for a Dream did for drugs, and then some.

I could be wrong. The term Nympho isn't a scientific term, and has no measure to decide what is too much sex drive and what isn't I guess this could be a film about how awesome sex is and how wrong it is to judge people for having a lot of it. I doubt it though, Lars is a grim fucker.

Except this film already exists and is called "Shame". I'm not saying your theory couldn't be right, but I kind of have to think that Lars is going to give us something we're not really going to expect.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Origami Dali posted:

I have major depression and thought Melancholia was a piece of poo poo, and easily von Trier's worst film. After having to spend just 30 mins with all of these worthless, shallow characters and their dumb and hosed up lives, that planet couldn't get there fast enough. Unless the whole point of the film was to root for armageddon, in which case it was a rousing success.

Well said.

It kind of is. The introduction of the film is supposed to clue you in to the fact that the world is going to end.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Hbomberguy posted:

As I've tried to point out, I don't hate the movie, it left such a small impression on me. I enjoyed hating the people of Dogville, which was great.

He's saying that those of us that did like it are insulted and angered by the fact that you didn't even have a reaction.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Heavy-handed? Welcome to Lars von Trier! :v: I think his best other "gimmick" movie is Europa, which does this sort of funky black-and-white/color rear projection stuff that plays well with the Kafkaesque nightmare plot.

I'm a big fan of The Idiots as I already said. I'm not sure if constraining himself to the Dogma rules is really a gimmick for the viewer so much as it is a gimmick for the filmmaker though.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Hbomberguy posted:

The Five Obstructions highlights this: Lars likes setting himself and others challenges to see what comes out. It's just a thing he does. All five of the remakes of the film are in my opinion worse than the original, but they all have interesting merits of their own. Lars is like a scientist testing how to 'do' cinema and his results are always interesting. I don't know how much of it is an over-the-top gimmicky attention grab or attempt to fit the mold he's made for himself, but who cares they're fun to watch sometimes. I'm probably being dubious about him because I have friends at Uni who are massive showoffy shitheads who make a big deal of 'getting' Von Trier but don't actually know why or how they do when questioned on it.

This is a really cool movie and I wish I had been familiar with The Perfect Man before watching it. It was neat to see Lars in his "natural" state, coming up with new and strange ways to film something and bantering with a film maker he clearly adores. The animated version of the film was the one I liked the most, but it was funny how both men so obviously loathed dealing with anything animated.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

This is the best thing ever.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Some good interviews up on Youtube now giving a bit of insight into what it was like making the film. I guess I'm willing to give Shia a chance after seeing how enthusiastic he is. I shouldn't be surprised, but he seems to have a good working knowledge of film and actually comes off as a real fan of Von Trier. It's just so weird coming from the guy who was in Transformers. I guess he's made infinity billion dollars at this point and is now free to do anything he wants so more power to him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWSa5AfvJsU

This is the first one with Charlotte Gainsbourg.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I think Part 1 is the lightest thing I've ever seen from Von Trier, pretty hilarious throughout.

Is it lighter than The Boss of it All? I thought that was a pretty good comedy considering who the director was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

RE: The ending - I predicted that happening fairly early on, but then decided after a while that maybe it wasn't going that route after all. Then when it ended up happening after all at the end, I was still shocked because of the way it was presented. I looked at the screen in horror. My reaction was pretty much "Jesus Christ NO :stonk: "

His face was so loving perfect.

• Locked thread