Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I'm looking forward to this, all the trailers have been really interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Steve Yun posted:

Never seen a LVT movie before, is it a coin toss whether it will be good or bad?

He has an extremely good track record, so the chances are in your favor, unless it turns out you hate LVT, in which case reverse everything I've said.

the posted:

You should really see Dogville (and maybe Manderlay if you like it). Dogville is probably the most tolerable LvT film that I can think of (and that's saying a lot). It's a lot like Kill Bill, except where Kill Bill is 1% torture of the woman and 99% revenge, Dogville is the opposite.

It's very subdued in a way, and it's easier to swallow the violent cynicism in the stagey context. It's also a really tidy film, so there's not a lot of meandering (for a three hour movie, anyway).

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
To be fair that's not exactly a new trick.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
There's also the assumption that the film is literally going to be five hours of nonstop uncomfortable sex scenes, which is a bit like people talking dismissively about Blue is the Warmest Color as being three hours of lesbian sex.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Hbomberguy posted:

I saw Dogville today and while the message was pretty heavy-handed it was executed really well and the gimmick was interesting.

Heavy-handed? Welcome to Lars von Trier! :v: I think his best other "gimmick" movie is Europa, which does this sort of funky black-and-white/color rear projection stuff that plays well with the Kafkaesque nightmare plot.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Seconding the Cronenberg Crash, even if I do wish it had a little more humor about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
This is one of the most entertainingly watchable films I've seen in a long time.

edit: I do wish we could've stayed longer with Gainsbourg-Joe, it feels like there should be another chapter in Vol II somewhere. It did slot together really neatly, though, and when she finished telling her story I honestly thought that there was another thirty or forty minutes to go because it really did not feel like it had been two hours. Seligman's turn at the end was shocking at first, and then it seemed almost terrifyingly inevitable in retrospect. It's one of von Trier's nasty jokes that the first metaphor presented is about fly-fishing.

edit 2: the focused inclusion of that Bach prelude is fabulous, look at the text:

Johann Agricola posted:

Lord, hear the voice of my complaint,
To Thee I now commend me,
Let not my heart and hope grow faint,
But deign Thy grace to send me.
True faith from Thee, my God, I seek,
The faith that loves Thee solely.
Keeps me lowly,
And prompt to aid the weak,
And mark each word that Thou dost speak.

It pairs well with K's line "That's not how this goes, most people don't scream until I hit them."

Magic Hate Ball fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Apr 17, 2014

• Locked thread