Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver Newt
Jun 8, 2007

Happiness is being famous for your financial ability to indulge in every kind of excess.

Taear posted:

Lots of us earlier up the thread when the film came out did. People have said that it's Lars saying "Stellen represents the audience and really you've just come to watch sex, so that's what he wants too" but it doesn't fit for me enough and it honestly ruined a lot of the film.

It wouldn't have felt so out of place if the character hadn't been deliberately set up as an asexual virgin who was more interested in fly fishing than hearing stories of teenage nymphomaniacs.

It felt very out of nowhere and I can't think what the point of it was - I'd be interested to know what the director gives as an explanation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Newt
Jun 8, 2007

Happiness is being famous for your financial ability to indulge in every kind of excess.

Taear posted:

You just expect better. It's too predictable.

For me I think it was also the fact that it happened two seconds before the end of the film and cut to black for half of the scene. Not that the whole film wasn't subverting expectations but it was a very unsatisfying ending.

• Locked thread