Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Jst0rm posted:

We can't even really talk about this film much because it hasn't been seen by us. I think his track record proves that it deserves a view without any preconceived ideas of what we are walking into.

I sort of suspect that von Trier wants to encourage this sort of pre-watching discussion.for as long as possible. Because at 5 hours worth of uncomfortable sex scenes this is a movie which at least for me will require some breaks. And for that, you're talking about not seeing it in a theater.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
I finally saw this. It's still filling small theaters in Copenhagen.

I did like it for the most part. The sex was much less uncomfortable than I was expecting based upon how it was dealt with in antichrist. Still... gently caress you Lars, you are way too in love with your status as a provocateur. We don't need a soliloquoy about "political correctness" and how it's wrong that you aren't allowed to use the word "negro" or "neger." And Willem Dafoe's talents are beyond wasted. He shows up and talks through some exposition. That's it, although maybe in the 5 hour instead of 4 hour version he actually does something. Finally the ending... that was just dumb as hell. I could say more but I don't feel like pulling out spoiler tags.

Still there was plenty to like. The casting of P was great. Gainsbourg is always great. Skarsgaard and LeBoeuf and Slater were all really good. Oh yeah, the Rammstein song also was great.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Mustach posted:

What are the details of this?

Gainsbourg's character has a scene with two black guys. Come to think of it that scene was pretty racially bad as well. They didn't speak english and in order to set it up she asked an interpreter who was "familiar with the African Languages." Apparently they were brothers who got into an argument in the middle of it. Meanwhile, their erect dicks are wagging back and forth in front of her face and it's pretty clearly played for laughs. Like most of the theatre was guffawing. She tells Skarsgaard's character about it and says that "Anyone who says they are not attracted to negros is lying, but that at the end of the day they've never satisfied her." Skarsgaard's character protests that you shouldn't use that word and Gainsbourg's character suddenly becomes a von Trier self-insert ( :rimshot: ) who says that whenever you restrict yourself from using a word blah blah blah you've heard this a million times.

I also only brought up the Danish word "Neger" because the subtitles directly translated "negro" to that word and maybe he thinks that since the word isn't literally "friend of the family" then it's not so bad. Others have expressed a similar inclination: http://cphpost.dk/news/mp-black-people-should-be-called-neger.8407.html

edit: Regarding that last part, I don't know if it was clear but I didn't mean it to be a defense of von Trier. Merely a guess as to why von Trier is spouting the same crap we've been hearing from racists in America for the last X years.

twerking on the railroad fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Feb 2, 2014

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Taear posted:

I've probably just seen the same one (in the UK at a bunch of cinemas played back to back).

I enjoyed it, but I didn't find it at all shocking and I completely agree about the "Negro" stuff and a big chunk of dialogue spread over the film was very much just Trier using Joe as a self insert. Still even with that, it was good. Skaarsgard as the voice of the audience was a really cool trick and it brought me into the film a lot more.

The ending completely ruined it though. I understand they're saying 'nobody can control their urges and she is wrong to think she can' but gently caress that, he's represented us for the whole film and I didn't want him to try and rape her.

At first what I thought he was trying to do with the ending was to show Joe passing on her nymphomania to Seligmann. But then she apparently murders him. It felt like this obviously very talented director being stuck with the mind of a 14 year old and saying "OK, now in this part we have to do something WILD."

Also, I don't think I've seen it mentioned in any reviews, but on the train in the first part of the movie, Joe very obviously rapes the guy going home to his wife, right?

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
Part of my dim view of the movie may be that I work in math and I found the mathematical allusions to be particularly cringe-worthy.

twerking on the railroad fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Mar 23, 2014

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Great Enoch posted:

The musicology wasn't all that, either.

In both cases when people start talking about the Fibonacci numbers, it's probably going to be a bad time for everyone involved.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Ersatz posted:

Yeah. Also, in retrospect, Seligman's dismissal of that rape and framing of it as not only morally OK but even positive ("relieving" the man) should have been a giant flag to me as to Seligman's nature. Before seeing Part II I just waived his reaction to that story off, vacillating between thinking that Seligman was either (1) sperging out and failing to understand what Joe was trying to tell him, or (2) concealing his judgment in an effort to avoid reinforcing her self-loathing.

Yeah I thought it was more (2) and in fact while watching I thought that for a supposedly celibate dude he sure seems like he's trying to nice guy his way into her pants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

TrixRabbi posted:

Did anybody else absolutely hate the ending? If the film had literally cut to black one minute before the actual ending it would have been astoundingly better.

I hated the ending but I think your assessment of a better ending is wrong.

There was something unresolved there with Skarsgaard's character. The way to not resolve it though was with a shot fired offscreen. Especially when it ties up in a neat little bow that Oh yeah, Joe really did hold back from shooting everyone. Much better would be if she actually had to resist him and killed him in some other way than with the gun. Also yes, loving on a nearby dumpster and then peeing on Joe was really loving dumb. But I'm sure von Trier thinks that's expected of him because he has to be some sort of provocateur.

• Locked thread