Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

No Wave posted:

Having watched it, though, I don't really see a reason to recommend it to anyone. It's not stupid or boring, it's just painful.

Sometimes it helps to externalize negative feelings or thought processes, in order to examine them and move forward. Both Antichrist and Melancholia helped me in that respect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

All the marketing and buzz around Von Trier's work is about how edgy and controversial and shocking it and he is, sure. But the actual films, from what I've seen, are not really about that at all. And it's really a drat shame that they get tarred with that brush.

Like when Antichrist came out all I saw critics and commenters focusing on were the two extremely brief genital mutilation scenes (and now, me too). But there was so much more going on in that film, and both those scenes were played as honest character moments rather than desperate, lurid shock value. At least, as much as graphic genital mutilation scenes can be.

I'd go so far as to say that from what I've seen from Von Trier maybe his biggest strength is taking ideas that would be cheap edgy bullshit from anyone else and exploring them with the appropriate seriousness and panache.

Lord Krangdar fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Dec 4, 2013

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Monkeyseesaw posted:

I suppose with a personality as big as Von Trier's it's unrealistic to expect discussion of his work won't entail discussion of the man as a provocateur. But I agree, the reason I'd want to see this is because I really liked Antichrist and Melancholia. Von Trier himself seems kind of insufferable but meh.

I expect the media to talk about him, yeah, but can't critics and commenters talk about his work too? As films, I mean, not a couple of shock moments taken out of their context and tone.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Well its no Phantom Menace.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Well for starters the film is about how a seriously depressed person reacts to two situations; one that is supposed to be happy (her own wedding) and the other tragic (the imminent end of the world). All her responses are flipped from everyone around her. I could go more into detail, but already that's not nothing.

Have you ever experienced severe depression, first-hand or through a loved one?

• Locked thread