Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Hbomberguy posted:

I just finished Melancholia. It was the worst thing I have ever seen in my life. Hopefully this'll be a bit more like Antichrist, or at least some super-slow-motion Udo Kier jizzing.

Does Trier shoot his movies on film still nowadays?

I disliked melancholia as well and wrote a bunch of words on it. Even though I've been really depressed before, the movie didn't do it for me.
The first part was okay, second part...started pissing me off. So my thoughts really are only relevant to the second part.

Hated the main character. Hated how she and her mom compared everything to making GBS threads. "Meeting on the front steps, why don't we meet on the toilet?" Somehow when I was depressed I didn't substitute "making GBS threads" for random things in my train of thought. And my depression was never as all-encompassing as hers. She wants to bring everyone down with her. To her, life is EVIL. Everyone dying is just fine because it's not just her life that sucks, everyone elses should end too. She doesn't appreciate those who try to help her, either. Not even in a "your too good for me" kind of way. It's one thing in the first part where she's struggling to have life and just can't seem to grasp happiness, it's another in the second part where she's being taken care of and all she can do is hiss and sputter and growl.

My depression has always been self-hatred. People think I'm nice...nice in a creepy, repulsive, serial-killer kind of way. I do keep trying but I fail to make use of my time for the stupidest reasons. But in all my experience I see the good that could come from life and appreciate other people when they show me compassion, even though I have a hard time understanding it. Often, my depression stems from feeling that I am a leech that can only take, taking time and effort from others who could be better spending their with far more accomplished and interesting people who could give hem so much of a better time, and that my involvement ruins everything.

In the main characters struggle I saw none of that. She was just full of hate. Like some of the people who got me this way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread