Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Taliaquin
Dec 13, 2009

Turtle flu
I'm bipolar with very bad depressive episodes, and I couldn't get Melancholia out of my head for days after watching it. My experience definitely differed from some of the others here. I thought it was, for me personally, perfectly relatable in a very disturbing, visceral way. It's one of my favorite movies now, and I can't even really explain why because it's so depressing and nihilistic, but I also thought it was beautiful.

But since we're looking at the film from personal viewpoints, I think the main character was bipolar. Everything she did got a "yep" from me, and didn't Kirsten Dunst even say she portrayed her as bipolar?

I'm actually afraid to watch Nymphomaniac, though. Sex scenes in movies have always kind of made me uncomfortable, so I know this one's going to be really difficult. I still want to see it just because I like LvT.

cubicle gangster posted:

Jesus dude.

I think she was more apathetic than anything. I didnt see it as hatred - I saw it as resentment that grew from being forced do anything at all/deal with people. that comes from the kind of emotionless depression where you can be just as content staring at a wall for 3 days and sleeping 14 hours a day as you can doing supposedly fun things - where everything becomes meaningless, and you cant muster up an emotional response to anything. I dont think hate ever entered into it.

e: for the record, i've never been that deep into it but I could relate pretty well. "Movie was about me, five stars"
I have to agree with this. Having also been in a state of complete apathy due to depression, that's what I got from her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread