Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

precision posted:

If the only Lars films you've been exposed to are his more recent work (Dancer in the Dark onward, I guess) you really need to watch Zentropa. It's one of his most conventionally entertaining films, is tense and weird as gently caress in a Lynchian way, and takes place on a train. It might be my favorite overall film of all time.

edit: I keep forgetting it was only named Zentropa in America; it's Europa everywhere else. Also:

:allears:

Him storming of Cannes is hysterical. Isn't that the year Barton Fink won? If you're gonna lose to something it might as well be to motherfucking Barton Fink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Did anybody else absolutely hate the ending? If the film had literally cut to black one minute before the actual ending it would have been astoundingly better.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

I considered that Seligman was going to do something like that early on, but as I worked with that idea in my head, the character seemed to diffuse it. Maybe it was too subtle, or maybe it was just poorly executed, but it seemed too out of character for him. I never got the idea that he was secretly wanting sex, so when it happened it felt out-of-nowhere and too sudden.

I've warmed up to the ending a little bit, because as a lot of you have said, it really puts a period on the themes of betrayal and abuse. But I still think it could have been better executed.

• Locked thread