Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Great Enoch
Mar 23, 2011

Skeesix posted:

Part of my dim view of the movie may be that I work in math and I found the mathematical allusions to be particularly cringe-worthy.

The musicology wasn't all that, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Enoch
Mar 23, 2011

Skeesix posted:

In both cases when people start talking about the Fibonacci numbers, it's probably going to be a bad time for everyone involved.

I'm no mathematician but the musical theories that Joe and whatsisface metaphorise are just kinda wrong, so I found it intriguing not in whether it was cheesy or not but more whether that was deliberate or not. Use of classical music in cinema is interesting for its class/race/gender valences LVT has a certain history of engaging with that canon (he was amongst other things contracted to do Bayreuth a while back but pulled out amid rumours of everybody thinking he was an idiot as well as a psycho), but I'm not really that familiar with his brand of irony so v:shobon:v.

I'm never sure if LVT is either pandering to or taking the piss out of his core market of middlebrow consumers aspiring to a very bougie idea of transgressive media (cf. Story of the Eye, Philip Roth novels, de Sade etc.)

Edit: This is also coloured by remarks by everybody (not least Stellan Skarsgaard who gave an afterscreening talk at the show I attended) about how directly translated LVT is into his characters. Skargy straight up said that a lot of that stuff is just stuff LVT nerds out on.

Great Enoch fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Mar 25, 2014

• Locked thread