Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Eeeehhh. Von Trier is a powerful filmmaker in a lot of ways but is also a total pretentious bastard. Come on, the "My only sin was asking too much of the sunset..." bit in the trailer, he's trying so hard to be meaningful. My objections with him aren't with the depictions of sex and violence themselves, but he seems to play it for base shock value a lot of the time.

The sex theme is appropriate since I'm betting the movie's going to essentially be a five-hour cinematic circlejerk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Jst0rm posted:

Im really looking forward to this film. I love All of LVT's work. I agree that some will not like what hes serving but what good art appeals to everyone? none. If you want a movie that appeals to all people go watch identity thief or the avengers.

It doesn't seem like you're totally saying this, but it's not a good defense of LVT's work to go "well, if you don't like it, maybe you can go see those mainstream baby movies :smug:" The reason I'm not a big fan of his movies isn't because he's too **challenging**, it's because I find his filmmaking approach off-putting. Just because certain people don't like his style doesn't mean they're looking for something with mass-market appeal. (And, anyway, I reject the idea that something with mass appeal can't also be great art, but that's another conversation entirely.)

This isn't limited to LVT- I fully recognize that Chuck Palahniuk is a really talented writer, for instance, but I still can't stand what books of his I've read. Doesn't mean I read Nicholas Sparks books instead.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Jst0rm posted:

I only picked the mainstream baby movies to point out we can all get a chuckle at watching something simple but we all cant enjoy something in the LVT style or the takashi miike style or the Gasper Noe style or any other directors that have their "stamp" on the art. I wasn't trying to say "hey, I'm a elite film snob because I understand this film maker" more that the more the art moves away from the norm the greater chance for people who have been exposed to a lot of art can enjoy it.

Yeah, no worries- I didn't think you were trying to be elitist or anything but I feel like that gets brought out a lot when people criticize Von Trier.

Anyways, more on-topic, I honestly wish I was more excited for this movie because the cast is downright fantastic. Well, maybe not Shia, who I'm suspicious is just doing this to prove how super edgy he is. Maybe he'll surprise everyone though.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

No Wave posted:

Is this one of those times when you absolutely, positively have to have an opinion? I get like that too sometimes.

Yeah, Keanu Grieves, stop discussing this movie in the movie's discussion thread.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Magic Hate Ball posted:

There's also the assumption that the film is literally going to be five hours of nonstop uncomfortable sex scenes, which is a bit like people talking dismissively about Blue is the Warmest Color as being three hours of lesbian sex.

Well considering the marketing so far has been SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX LOOK AT THESE PEOPLE loving AND HAVING ORGASMS SEX SEX SEX, it's not hard to see where people have gotten that idea. I'm sure the movie will at least try to be deeper than that, but that's not really how it's been selling itself.

vvvvv I don't think the people criticizing it are attacking the ones excited for it, or vice versa- you're free to stop following the thread until the movie comes out if speculating bothers you that much!

Nikaer Drekin fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Dec 5, 2013

• Locked thread